5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Exhaust Manifold bolts

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my truck in this week for a few minor fixes and in a casual conversation with the senior technician he told me the number one issue with the Hemi is the exhaust manifold bolts breaking off during removal of the manifolds. I thought I would post this in case anyone is planning on changing out to some headers. You can be extra careful and maybe avoid this.

768mph

Reaction score
I took my truck in this week for a few minor fixes and in a casual conversation with the senior technician he told me the number one issue with the Hemi is the exhaust manifold bolts breaking off during removal of the manifolds. I thought I would post this in case anyone is planning on changing out to some headers. You can be extra careful and maybe avoid this.

Oh yeah, this has been an issue for years. And it seems Ram won’t change the quality of the bolts either.

If you do, spray spray spray with penetrating oil and pray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '09 Hemi went in the shop 6 different times (IIRC) to have exhaust leaks from broken bolts fixed over the 10 years and 193K miles I had it. That was with a bone stock motor and exhaust system.

I really had hoped that the new ones would have that problem fixed. Fortunately, as long as it's under warranty it's no big deal. It's not an issue that causes the truck to leave you stranded. You hear the noise and you schedule it to go into the shop to be fixed when it's convenient for you.

Of course, not going in the shop at all is the MOST convenient. But, in the grand scheme, broken header bolts is pretty minor. Much better than, say, an oil pump that is notorious for going out, or a tranmission solenoid, or whatever.

Jhaney

Reaction score
My 12 had that problem. So far so good with my 19 at 33k. I was told by a service adviser that Ram warranties maifold bolts to 150 k

768mph

Reaction score
My 12 had that problem. So far so good with my 19 at 33k. I was told by a service adviser that Ram warranties maifold bolts to 150 k

Please see if your service advisor would provide a source for that in writing; in order for members to source for future use. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
Yes, that would be great to know if there was some additional warranty on the bolts.

Ram4141

Reaction score
I have owned a '12, '14 and '16 Ram. All three had to have the bolts replaced on both sides. I guess I will see how my '19 goes.

19RamBC

Reaction score
Had my 2010 bolts repaired mutiple times while under warranty. Once warrenty was gone and they leaked swapped them out with some BBK headers and never looked back. Will do same with the 2019 after warranty is up cause im sure its going to do it, just like my 04 and 10 did...

spinxt

Reaction score
Simple fix. Get MaxCare and never worry about the miles!
(Oh and don’t forget about the lifter issue with HEMIs. Had the top end of my 14’ grand Cherokee rebuild twice, cam, several lifters, etc.)

Ranger482

Reaction score
Simple fix. Get MaxCare and never worry about the miles!
(Oh and don’t forget about the lifter issue with HEMIs. Had the top end of my 14’ grand Cherokee rebuild twice, cam, several lifters, etc.)
Unfortunately, FCA no longer offers the Maxcare unlimited mile lifetime warranty. I believe the max is now 8 years, 125,000 miles.

spinxt

Reaction score
Unfortunately, FCA no longer offers the Maxcare unlimited mile lifetime warranty. I believe the max is now 8 years, 125,000 miles.
Wrong, I just bought one. They just don’t have unlimited time. I bought mine for 6 years. So mine is 6 year/unlimited miles

spinxt

Reaction score
It’s not the bolts themselves, they are the cause. Effect is 2 different metals heating up and cooling down at 2 diff rates.
I don’t totally disagree, but the Hemi platform has had a more than average issue with exhaust manifold bolts. If your theory were totally true, every truck/car with aluminum heads would have they same issues....but not all of them do.

Last edited:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all manifolds are made of the same material. Bolt size is also part of the equation. If you look around across all makes models. The common failures will have similar material. As non common failures across the board have there own similar materials. But neither of the two share those materials or design except for 2- aluminum head(s) and multi port into one exhaust manifold.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Wrong, I just bought one. They just don’t have unlimited time. I bought mine for 6 years. So mine is 6 year/unlimited miles
Actually I was correct. I said they do not offer the unlimited mile lifetime warranty. They don't. You bought an unlimited mileage warranty for 6 years, not the lifetime of the vehicle.

jabara572

Reaction score
Not all manifolds are made of the same material. Bolt size is also part of the equation. If you look around across all makes models. The common failures will have similar material. As non common failures across the board have there own similar materials. But neither of the two share those materials or design except for 2- aluminum head(s) and multi port into one exhaust manifold.

Pretty sure the vast....vast majority of stock vehicles have aluminum heads and cast iron exhaust manifolds......what are these different material types you speak of?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2013 had both sides replaced at about 50k miles. Began leaking again on the passenger side at about 80k and traded it in leaking at 110k.
The weird thing is it seems to only be the Rams. I've been messing with current production Hemi's since 2003 when it first came out in a 1/2 ton, I bought my first. My Charger SRT8 never had a problem, and never heard of any from other owners of the LX, LC or Jeep platforms. Right now I have aftermarket Stage 8 bolts on Thitek heads on my 426.

spinxt

Reaction score
Actually I was correct. I said they do not offer the unlimited mile lifetime warranty. They don't. You bought an unlimited mileage warranty for 6 years, not the lifetime of the vehicle.
I stand corrected, I misunderstood

Ranger482

Reaction score
I stand corrected, I misunderstood
No worries. Good to know they still offer the unlimited mileage warranty for those that really rack up the miles. I went with an 8/85 as I only put on about 9,000 miles a year.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2013 had both sides replaced at about 50k miles. Began leaking again on the passenger side at about 80k and traded it in leaking at 110k.
The weird thing is it seems to only be the Rams. I've been messing with current production Hemi's since 2003 when it first came out in a 1/2 ton, I bought my first. My Charger SRT8 never had a problem, and never heard of any from other owners of the LX, LC or Jeep platforms. Right now I have aftermarket Stage 8 bolts on Thitek heads on my 426.
I never had this happen on my 09 Challenger R/T either so maybe there is some difference?

Users who are viewing this thread