5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**HELP** Yet Another **Payload** **Towing** Question

JeepNickInPA

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I am looking to place an order for a new 2021 RAM 1500 Limited but I cannot get an exact number on the payload and the towing. This post Is more about the payload. I understand the more luxury items the less the payload. Since I am wanting to place an order I have NO vin to run on ram trucks.com to see what the payload is. Part of the time ram trucks.com differs from what's on the door jamb of the truck. Attached Is a copy of my build. I am hoping someone can give me a close idea of what to expect.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 86

zappel

Reaction score
I had a 19 Limited with almost the same specs and had a 1307 pd Payload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I
That just seems so low compared to GM or Ford?
I was just reading on an RV forum yesterday where a guy/gal with a 2019 F150 Platinum was complaining about the 1200 pound payload. The F150s weigh less but their GVWR is also lower unless you order the rare max payload package which is not available on the higher trims.

The higher trim GM trucks do seem to have better payload tho.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That just seems so low compared to GM or Ford?
It does, but the Ram is on coils and rides much better, so it's ride quality vs payload. I don't have a lot of options, Bighorn level 1, payload is 1794

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had GM, Ford, and Ram full size trucks. Personally, I do not see any improvement in ride quality with the Ram that makes those miserable coil springs worthwhile. All they do is add complexity to the rear suspension, reduce payload, and make it harder to find accessories. The suspension is one of the few things I strongly dislike about Ram.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had GM, Ford, and Ram full size trucks. Personally, I do not see any improvement in ride quality with the Ram that makes those miserable coil springs worthwhile. All they do is add complexity to the rear suspension, reduce payload, and make it harder to find accessories. The suspension is one of the few things I strongly dislike about Ram.
The air suspension is awesome though! No droopy butt when loaded up.

OP. I'd guess around 1250 payload for that truck. I've heard the MFT is quite heavy.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disagree. The ride in this truck, to me at least, is hands down better than any truck I've been in with leaf springs. After pulling the suspension apart a few times now it's also easier to work on. Ever try to add a leaf to a pack? It's one of the biggest PITA I've had to do on a suspension.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So. A 2nd Gen 1500 with leaf springs had a 6400lb GVWR.
Then 3rd gen with leaf springs had 6800lb GVWR
Then the 4th Gen with coil springs has 6900lb GVWR.

Now the 5th Gen has 7100lb and 7200lb with eco diesel.

Tell me again how the coil springs is the weak point

The damn trucks just weigh too much. A tradesman can get 1850 payload. That seems like more than a half ton to me.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disagree. The ride in this truck, to me at least, is hands down better than any truck I've been in with leaf springs. After pulling the suspension apart a few times now it's also easier to work on. Ever try to add a leaf to a pack? It's one of the biggest PITA I've had to do on a suspension.

Easier to work on? Ever tried to line up control arms, or worse yet the track bar after they've been disconnected? Total PITA. Two U-bolts on a leaf spring is WAY simpler. I don't see any ride improvement at all with the coils, but that's subjective I suppose. The simplicity of leafs over a 5-link design is just indisputable though.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is 1,100 - 1,200 lbs.

My LongHorn, without air suspension, regular TG, no Sunroof, with ETrq, 6 1/2' bed, and 20's has a payload of 1277lbs.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X2 5'7" BOX using vin at Ram vehicle lookup-

2019 RAM 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X2 5'7" BOX
8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission

Vehicle images shown may not reflect the selected model year. See dealer for details.
MAX PAYLOAD
1367.74LBS
MAX TOWING
11467.74LBS

Polo08816

Reaction score
My 2019 RAM 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X2 5'7" BOX using vin at Ram vehicle lookup-

2019 RAM 1500 LIMITED CREW CAB 4X2 5'7" BOX
8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission

Vehicle images shown may not reflect the selected model year. See dealer for details.
MAX PAYLOAD
1367.74LBS
MAX TOWING
11467.74LBS

Do you have a link to the lookup?

Reaction score
This one looks pretty close to your order it's a 2020 Limited 4x4 5'7" box with MFT Pan. Roof. It does has 22" wheels not sure what wheels you optioned and the antispin vs e-locker. Also the trailer tow group eliminates the surround view camera due to the different mirrors and the also do not powerfold.

Payload is 1187.

Attachments

• ram.pdf
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • payload.JPG
    payload.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread