5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help upgrading speakers.

Jmeclevenger

Reaction score
I just got the 2019 1500 big horn. I love the truck and the 8.4” radio but have to change out the speakers. I wanted to just change the speakers out but I know that won’t make much difference in quality. I’m going to deaden all the doors when I do this but how do I add an amp to this truck? I don’t want to do a sub or at least not now. I read something about a dsr1 but would that be the amp or would that allow me to add an amp. I’m not use to all the fancy things on these new trucks. Any help would be appreciated.

mch

Reaction score
What stereo system do you have? People with the base system got a good improvement with changing the dash speakers. Check out Crutchfield.com where you can see what will fit.

mch

Reaction score
I have just the base system.

Speaker configurations are different for the base, alpine, and HK systems. Like the rear 6x9s are a woofer on my Alpine and HK, but full range on a base system. I have 3 speakers on the dash, and the base only has 2. There are threads on people's upgrade, and you may want to find someone who upgraded their base system, and see how they integrated an amp into their system.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything you ever wanted to know and a bunch of things you probably don’t. To summarize:
- upgrade dash speakers, cheap and easy.
- upgrade door speakers, bit more difficult pulling doors (not bad once you get the hang of it). Might cause ANC issues.
- these trucks have wacky polarity and ANC issues sometimes so read up in it.
- adding an amp and sub gets a bit more complicated but it’s been done by many and documented.

Andoskyy

Reaction score
If you change the door speakers with a high sensitivity speaker (90db+) and you deaden the doors, you will see a significant improvement. A speaker isnt just about how many watts its getting, its also how efficiently they use any power they get. I'm not sure about the fit on our RAM's, but check out Infinity Kappa-93ix. I put these in my F150 and was happy. Big improvement over stock. Polk also has some nice high sensitivity speakers.

If sensitivity isn't over 90db, you're wasting your time.

Jmeclevenger

Reaction score
If you change the door speakers with a high sensitivity speaker (90db+) and you deaden the doors, you will see a significant improvement. A speaker isnt just about how many watts its getting, its also how efficiently they use any power they get. I'm not sure about the fit on our RAM's, but check out Infinity Kappa-93ix. I put these in my F150 and was happy. Big improvement over stock. Polk also has some nice high sensitivity speakers.

If sensitivity isn't over 90db, you're wasting your time.
There is a thread on here where that was discussed. It’s like a 30 page thread but I was reading it and that was talked about and also for some reason a lot of people have reversed polarity so I will have to check that as well. But I appreciate the help on the sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread