5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help truck won’t start

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man that sucks. Feel bad for you. If there was a shorted wire in the ECU maybe something is still shorting it out.

Jessed927

Reaction score
Anddddd the truck is doing the same thing again.. atleast this time it’s in my drivew
That really sucks, can only imagine how that feels. i would be absolutely livid with the dealership.
Not very common to see a shorted ECU, but thats just my opinion.
Did they even check the starter?
i asked them about the starter and they said the truck was throwing a code for it not reading the key fob, I just said alright well if that’s what it says then go ahead and replace that.. truck was fine when I picked up yesterday afternoon and this morning was good also then around 1-2pm went outside and wouldn’t start

Vulpes

Reaction score
Anddddd the truck is doing the same thing again.. atleast this time it’s in my drivew

i asked them about the starter and they said the truck was throwing a code for it not reading the key fob, I just said alright well if that’s what it says then go ahead and replace that.. truck was fine when I picked up yesterday afternoon and this morning was good also then around 1-2pm went outside and wouldn’t start
Yeah this really sucks. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Have a couple suggestions, might have already been done:
  1. Check all 30-ish grounds.
  2. Check resistance in the battery ground cable.
  3. Rear windows are notorious for leaking water into the cab. The RF hub that communicates with the key fobs is behind the rear seat, it can then be exposed to water and corrode and short. Pull the rear seat and check the connector and hub for corrosion.
  4. Check that all fuses are seated in the TIPM under the hood.
  5. Check all fuses in the TIPM for corrosion, or having blown.
  6. Was any work, no matter how minor, done to the truck prior to it refusing to start? If so, grounds could be loose, or wires/loom nicked, or connectors could have pulled or unseated pins...
Hopefully the dealership didn't just roll out the parts cannon, on their first attempt. They now own this repair.

Jessed927

Reaction score
Yeah this really sucks. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Have a couple suggestions, might have already been done:
  1. Check all 30-ish grounds.
  2. Check resistance in the battery ground cable.
  3. Rear windows are notorious for leaking water into the cab. The RF hub that communicates with the key fobs is behind the rear seat, it can then be exposed to water and corrode and short. Pull the rear seat and check the connector and hub for corrosion.
  4. Check that all fuses are seated in the TIPM under the hood.
  5. Check all fuses in the TIPM for corrosion, or having blown.
  6. Was any work, no matter how minor, done to the truck prior to it refusing to start? If so, grounds could be loose, or wires/loom nicked, or connectors could have pulled or unseated pins...
Hopefully the dealership didn't just roll out the parts cannon, on their first attempt. They now own this repair.
Only thing I can think of was removing the active air dam

Vulpes

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of was removing the active air dam
Well, it's something, and there is a module associated with the air dam. I just hope it's not my other suspicion, a water logged RF hub.

I know it sounds odd, but since the air dam module communicates with the PCM, and is disconnected, the PCM could maybe be receiving some weird signals, and making the CAN angry, and then affect all kinds of non-air-dam-related items. Not sure how yours was disconnected, but it might require turning it off within the software, (AlfaOBD might have an option for this).

Is the air dam module still plugged into its harness?

I pulled some data on the air dam, and there are a number of codes it can throw. Are any of the codes below the code that your dealership identified?

1691075543393.png

Location of air dam module:
1691074927341.png

1691075024890.png

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, @Jessed927!

Allow us to help here as well. Send our team a private message with your current dealership's address and VIN so we can review this.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Jessed927

Reaction score
Well, it's something, and there is a module associated with the air dam. I just hope it's not my other suspicion, a water logged RF hub.

I know it sounds odd, but since the air dam module communicates with the PCM, and is disconnected, the PCM could maybe be receiving some weird signals, and making the CAN angry, and then affect all kinds of non-air-dam-related items. Not sure how yours was disconnected, but it might require turning it off within the software, (AlfaOBD might have an option for this).

Is the air dam module still plugged into its harness?

I pulled some data on the air dam, and there are a number of codes it can throw. Are any of the codes below the code that your dealership identified?

View attachment 164418

Location of air dam module:
View attachment 164415

View attachment 164416
What is a Water logged RF hub ??

Vulpes

Reaction score
What is a Water logged RF hub ??
Th RF hub is the device on the truck that communicates with the key fobs. The RF hub is located right behind the rear seat on the cab wall.

The sliding rear windows on these trucks are known for the window frame cracking, which then causes a water leak. The water leak can then drip down the cab wall and get into the RF hub and cause it to short.

This forum has other threads about this happening to other folks. Their symptoms of an RF hub malfunctioning from water leaking into it, include stuff like the key fobs not unlocking the vehicle, and/or other stuff like the truck not starting.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Well no update, trucks been to the dealer 3 times truck was ready for me to pick up today and then they couldn’t start it when I got there
What work did the dealership do to it this time? We're very curious. Did they check the RF hub? Not that I want it to be your RF hub, but I'm suspicious...

Jessed927

Reaction score
Rf hub has been swapped out already also and still nothing, truck lasts about 24 hours after it leaves the dealer

This last time they said the truck was ready I went and I told them I’ll drive it for 30 mins and drop it off back at the dealer and I’ll be back again before they close and drive it again for a few minutes and then do the same thing the following day

Wel the next day I show up to the dealer to drive it again and they couldn’t start it to bring it up front

Now they are ordering a new PCM and that is under warranty but it’s on backorder so hopefully I’ll have some good news whenever they get it

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rf hub has been swapped out already also and still nothing, truck lasts about 24 hours after it leaves the dealer

This last time they said the truck was ready I went and I told them I’ll drive it for 30 mins and drop it off back at the dealer and I’ll be back again before they close and drive it again for a few minutes and then do the same thing the following day

Wel the next day I show up to the dealer to drive it again and they couldn’t start it to bring it up front

Now they are ordering a new PCM and that is under warranty but it’s on backorder so hopefully I’ll have some good news whenever they get it

Good plan! Eventually they'll guess right and swap the needed part. :(

Jessed927

Reaction score
Alright so PCM was replaced on the truck been running good for the past 3 days with no issues hopefully that fixed the problem .. still a little nervous every time I go to start it but everything seems to be working good

Jessed927

Reaction score
Ram care said they were gonna investigate into the issue, so I’ll see what they say

Users who are viewing this thread