5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed with camper shell power lock wiring.

teewodham

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pop and Lock power lock for my Leer camper shell and am having trouble locating the correct lock/unlock wires to tap into. I have searched for a wiring diagram for 2019 Ram 1500s without any luck.

Pop & Lock dealer narrowed my search to 4 wires, but I am not confident in his suggestion.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the door locks? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

** UPDATE after install **
Brief recap... I installed the Pop & Lock PL9555 power lock for camper shell/tonneau cover and couldn't find the lock/unlock power wires at the rear of the truck. I pulled the door lock switch out of the driver's door to find the correct wires and traced them to the B pillar. I ran the new wiring harness from the rear of the truck up to the cab with the factory bundled wiring harness and ran it up through the floor under the back seat on the driver's side. (There is a plastic plug there and instead of popping it out, I drilled a small hole through it and sealed with silicone sealant. I ran the wire under the carpet to the door threshold into the wire tray and up to the B pillar and spliced it close to the plug connection for the rear door.

The correct wire for the power unlock is Purple w/green stripe.

Correct wire for the power lock is Lime w/dark green stripe.

Last edited:

teewodham

Reaction score
FCA/Mopar has these wiring diagrams locked down tight. I called the dealership and asked if I could buy one, but they aren't allowed to sell them.

Its like I need a top secret clearance...

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have the locking tailgate you should be able to trace them and see which ones they are from the tailgate pigtail plug.

teewodham

Reaction score
If you have the locking tailgate you should be able to trace them and see which ones they are from the tailgate pigtail plug.
That's what I thought too, but the tailgate lock doesn't appear to have a "Power lock" and "Power unlock" wire in the group of wires that go to the tailgate handle. The lock wires may go to the sides of the tailgate. The tailgate release seems to be a push button so this would make sense.

I'll check tomorrow when I have some light.

I've pulled the switch panel out of the driver's door to narrow the wire color down.

teewodham

Reaction score
For anyone following this thread, I found the correct wires and they are not at the tailgate.

Brief recap... I installed the Pop & Lock PL9555 power lock for camper shell/tonneau cover and couldn't find the lock/unlock power wires at the rear of the truck. I pulled the door lock switch out of the driver's door to find the correct wires and traced them to the B pillar. I ran the new wiring harness from the rear of the truck up to the cab with the factory bundled wiring harness and ran it up through the floor under the back seat on the driver's side. (There is a plastic plug there and instead of popping it out, I drilled a small hole through it and sealed with silicone sealant. I ran the wire under the carpet to the door threshold into the wire tray and up to the B pillar and spliced it close to the plug connection for the rear door.

The correct wire for the power unlock is Purple w/green stripe.

If anyone is interested I can post pics later.

Last edited:

Rednek

Reaction score
The correct wire for the power unlock is Purple w/grey stripe.

If anyone is interested I can post pics later.

The listed Purple w/grey stripe is NOT the proper UNLOCK for a 2019/2020 Ram 1500. LOCK wire is correct.

After 2 days of troubleshooting, I called A.R.E. thinking maybe I might need a different lock going from 2013 to 2020 truck.

A.R.E. technician informed me that the proper unlock wire is Purple w/GREEN stripe.

Works flawlessly now.

jmoorejr602

Reaction score
I am going to try to install a auto lock system to the locks in my 2020 ram 1500. The wire codes are great but a a novice I do not know where to find them. In the door or under the dash drivers side. I bought the system on ebay. Picturse would be a huge help. Thanks for your inputs.

Squirrel tag

Reaction score
Thank you! This is going to be priceless for somebody.
The listed Purple w/grey stripe is NOT the proper UNLOCK for a 2019/2020 Ram 1500. LOCK wire is correct.

After 2 days of troubleshooting, I called A.R.E. thinking maybe I might need a different lock going from 2013 to 2020 truck.

A.R.E. technician informed me that the proper unlock wire is Purple w/GREEN stripe.

Works flawlessly now.
Pictures? & Are the wires located at the tailgate?

Misterturbo

Reaction score
Hopping in to say thanks for this valuable info. I was able to splice in my pap cap lock today using the wiring colors listed above. Would have taken me hours of tracing back wires if not for this post.

Worked like a charm on a Ranch cap with a pop & lock aftermarket system ;)

ChuckYourself

Reaction score
The tailgate didn’t actually lock. It’s electric, and without the key present, it doesn’t get the signal to unlock, but the actual mechanism isn’t on the same circuits as the door locks. I thought the same thing when I installed my cap and spent 4 days researching this.

GREAST

Reaction score
For jmoorejr602 and Squirrel tag -- see diagram. From Leer Camper Shells. If you haven't already got it done, I hope this helps.
chuckw

Attachments

• RAM2500Wiring4Shell.jpg
    RAM2500Wiring4Shell.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 159

hermes

Reaction score
Is there a way to relocate the rear view mirror camera for those we have a hard top?

Scff294

Reaction score
Just thought I'd say thank you to those who did the research and found the door lock wires .. I just added a lock to my camper shell and found the correct wires right off the rip .. probably saved me a couple of hours and a ton of frustration ... there also seems to be som confusion about the lock in the tailgate .. its not actually a lock. It a power release .. when you lock the doors, it won't send power to the tailgate .. hence why it won't open .. h

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
I just finished installing PL9555 and wiring it for power lock/unlock and this thread made it possible.
Thank you teewodham, I followed your installation and it worked great.

RodgerS

Reaction score
Wow...Just joined this site....Fabulous. I'm installing my camper shell right now with a LoadnLock Keyless Lock system by Eberhard mounted in a Leer Camper Shell. The provided instructions had a lot of ambiguous information and not identifying any wires that I could find in the wiring harness at the "location" they specified. I've contacted the manufacturer and with the information in the previous post, I feel like It'll work out just fine. Thank You all

Users who are viewing this thread