5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me understand...

Silent Bob

Reaction score
What happens when you need service work done or warranty repairs, a tow in because your truck broke down? Are you going to go the same dealer you bought it from or are you going to go the closest ram dealer to you and have them do it? Should they have the right to refuse warranty work? How long before this local dealer needs to close its doors because it just can’t support itself or employees anymore?
Support your local dealer by letting him service your truck and take care of any warranty work. Dealers make most of their money from parts and service. Buy you truck from someone who works hard to earn your business. A rural dealer knows people will buy from him just because he is close and/or they are afraid to purchase from out of town.

"According to the most recent data from the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA), the new-vehicle department of a car dealership accounts for about 58% of a dealership's total sales but less than 26% of a dealership's total gross profit. In addition to car sales, that figure also reflects profits from finance and insurance (F&I) products sold on new cars. That means such things as gap insurance, alarm systems and extended warranties."

"The used-vehicle department represents only about 31% of a dealerships total sales, but profit is close to that of the new-car department: nearly 25%. of a dealership's gross profit, according to NADA. In addition to car sales, the figure also reflects profits from F&I products sold on used cars."

"So where does the majority of a dealership's profit come from? It's not from car sales, at least not directly. It's from the service and parts department, which accounts for the other 49.6% of the dealership's gross profits, according to NADA."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/where-does-the-car-dealer-make-money.html

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to give several local dealers my business on a Laramie but they were not even close on price. One was at above invoice for dealer discount. The other was an acceptable price on the truck (11.6% off MSRP dealer discount), but was low on the trade by $2k. So I bought from about 150 miles away at 12% dealer discount and what I wanted on trade. There was one about 50 miles away that was a similar deal (truck price and trade) but they didn't have a truck on their lot I was interested in and were unwilling to even attempt to dealer trade. There was another dealer that was about $800 more than the one I bought from that was a similar distance away. I almost wish I'd have bought that truck since I am not loving the eTorque and may get rid of it in a year or two and go into a nonET Longhorn.

If it was $1k difference I would have bought local to save the hassle. More difference than that is worth it to me to get a better deal.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Storytime...
In 2010 dear old dad (1 yr before he passed) wanted one last new vehicle. He wanted a small SUV that he could just step right across into due to 2 bad hips. So I'm visiting from 800 miles away and hear a radio ad for (new) 2010 Ford Escape's from $18,999 from a large volume big city dealer 145 miles north.

I mention that price to my dad but he wants to buy local as he's lived there 40 years, knows everybody from the Rotary club etc...

So I call the local dealer and explain that I heard this ad..."Will you match the price"? He replies "No, we don't have the volume but I will try to get close to it". So I go down and get to within $1-1.5K of the volume dealer's price.

Dad is happy, local dealer is happy, 15 minute drive instead of 2.5 hours.
For some buyers (like my dad) it's not about price. For others, it's either a game or simply watching their pennies/dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My quick response. No dealer, anywhere, can turn you away for service because you didn't buy a vehicle from them. Warranty is warranty and is supported by the manufacturer and not the dealer. Your tow is covered under your Road Side Assistance from FCA. As far as not supporting your local dealer and them going out of business because of it...that's totally on you. Would I spend a few extra hundred dollars to buy local? Yes! Would I spend more than $300-$500? I, personally, would not. Your money, your decision.
^^^ This ^^^

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For some a $1000 is a lot of money for others, no big deal. There are a lot of things I would like to spend a grand on. None of them involve a gift to a dealership.
Ahh but when it's not your money and it involves small town folk, well, you don't want to be known as a penny-pinching SOB.

Thank you for understanding, SB!

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Hey fellas getting on my soap box for a minute here. I know I’m new to the forums and may get beat up a little bit for this, but here it is. I am switching from Chevy to a new Ram. Been getting a ton of knowledge from the members here to learn about it. I have posted and been reading “the below MSRP post” and its great to see what everyone gets for a deal. Here’s where my opinion differs…

I need to lay a little groundwork as to my situation as it will be different from yours. I live the country or rural area. My hometown has a population of around 5000 or so. The local dealer is 10 minutes/miles from my house and the volume dealer that a lot of people in my area drive to is around 100 miles from me. My hometown dealer has sales and service employees that I know by first name and have kids that are in my kid’s classes/sports/ community activities. I have never lived in bigger city or heavily populated area. Ok moving on.

I have been reading about people flying/driving hundreds if not thousands of miles away to get a truck to save from the best I can tell a few thousand dollars. This happens here too with people in my community. What happens when you need service work done or warranty repairs, a tow in because your truck broke down? Are you going to go the same dealer you bought it from or are you going to go the closest ram dealer to you and have them do it? Should they have the right to refuse warranty work? How long before this local dealer needs to close its doors because it just can’t support itself or employees anymore? In my case the employees would be the people I see all the time in the community. I know that if I had a problem with my truck my dealer will make it right with me. If that means giving me a truck off the lot to drive till mine is repaired, they will do it. If need a ride home because I don’t need a loaner, they would do it. Pretty much within reason of course they are willing to do whatever I need. I believe that when I payed the extra couple of bucks up front to my local dealer I am supporting my community and buying a piece of mind for issues that I may or may not have in the future.

Ok getting down from my soap box now but before I do please help me understand this? Tell me your situation and why you do what you do. As I explained before I don’t live in the same area as you and don’t have the same reasons I suspect.

Here is some information for people who feel the same as Limited2021

Using the Affiliate Pricing Program (FFP). You will get 1% below Invoice Pricing (FWP) and any available incentives/rebates. This is a factory program that works at all dealerships.

Check to see if your employer is part of the Affiliate Pricing Program LINK
If not join Access Fund for $50 - LINK
or
Tread Lightly for $100 - LINK
After joining you must wait 30 days before you take possession of the vehicle. This works at any dealership.

You can find invoice pricing for your model and all factory options at one of these websites.
NADA Guides - LINK
Car Connection - LINK

Alternatively you can wait for the "Employee Pricing for All" sale and get 5% off of invoice (plus $200) and any available incentives/rebates. This is a factory program as well.

Neither of these programs require you to negotiate with the dealership.

Next is rebates. None of these will cost your local dealership anything.

Ram Incentives & Rebates List LINK1
BonusDrive $250 Rebate - You or someone in your household must own, lease, or trade in a vehicle that is not a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, or Fiat. You do not need to be an Allstate customer for this - LINK
Join PenFed and you will qualify for $1000 rebate LINK
*After joining PenFed you must wait 60 days before you take possession of the vehicle.

Now you have an "okay" deal price wise and have still given the dealer extra profit.

Chuck19

Reaction score
I tried to give several local dealers my business on a Laramie but they were not even close on price. One was at above invoice for dealer discount. The other was an acceptable price on the truck (11.6% off MSRP dealer discount), but was low on the trade by $2k. So I bought from about 150 miles away at 12% dealer discount and what I wanted on trade. There was one about 50 miles away that was a similar deal (truck price and trade) but they didn't have a truck on their lot I was interested in and were unwilling to even attempt to dealer trade. There was another dealer that was about $800 more than the one I bought from that was a similar distance away. I almost wish I'd have bought that truck since I am not loving the eTorque and may get rid of it in a year or two and go into a nonET Longhorn.

If it was $1k difference I would have bought local to save the hassle. More difference than that is worth it to me to get a better deal.
What are you not liking about the eTorque?

redbranch

Reaction score
When I bought my 2019 Longhorn I went through my local dealer. When I went in to pick up the truck and do the paperwork, the finance guy had added on $99 for locking lug nuts (same on Amazon are $29) and a $299 anti-theft package which amounted to five stickers. Told them to take that money off as I didn't want any of it. They said all were already installed. So I signed, thinking a few hundred bucks wasn't the end of the world.
And then I got home, looked the truck over for those things and none of them were installed. Drove back to the dealership for them to refund the money I paid for something I didn't get. They refused to refund and handed me five stickers and a blister pack of lug nuts.

What they didn't realize is that I trade every two years. They found out a couple months ago when I traded and bought elsewhere....because I drove the new truck right up to the front of their showroom window and parked it while I went inside to find the finance guy and sales manager. Pointed out the window to my 2021 Limited Longhorn, and said that for the lack of refunding me the $399 they overcharged me for things I initially didn't even get and never wanted, they have lost a good customer for life...one who always buys high end.

Sometimes buying local isn't worth it. I buy local when I can, but this was too big a turn-off.

Chuck19

Reaction score
When I bought my 2019 Longhorn I went through my local dealer. When I went in to pick up the truck and do the paperwork, the finance guy had added on $99 for locking lug nuts (same on Amazon are $29) and a $299 anti-theft package which amounted to five stickers. Told them to take that money off as I didn't want any of it. They said all were already installed. So I signed, thinking a few hundred bucks wasn't the end of the world.
And then I got home, looked the truck over for those things and none of them were installed. Drove back to the dealership for them to refund the money I paid for something I didn't get. They refused to refund and handed me five stickers and a blister pack of lug nuts.

What they didn't realize is that I trade every two years. They found out a couple months ago when I traded and bought elsewhere....because I drove the new truck right up to the front of their showroom window and parked it while I went inside to find the finance guy and sales manager. Pointed out the window to my 2021 Limited Longhorn, and said that for the lack of refunding me the $399 they overcharged me for things I initially didn't even get and never wanted, they have lost a good customer for life...one who always buys high end.

Sometimes buying local isn't worth it. I buy local when I can, but this was too big a turn-off.
You pulled a pretty woman on them :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:💸💸

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you not liking about the eTorque?
The feel of the regenerative braking. I have gotten mostly used to it but still notice it, and when I do I don't like it. Plus where I live we have mostly round abouts instead of traffic lights. That means you almost always have to stop but only a few seconds, so the auto stop is really annoying and actually uses more gas in these situations because it is only off a few seconds.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The feel of the regenerative braking. I have gotten mostly used to it but still notice it, and when I do I don't like it. Plus where I live we have mostly round abouts instead of traffic lights. That means you almost always have to stop but only a few seconds, so the auto stop is really annoying and actually uses more gas in these situations because it is only off a few seconds.
1. I don't even notice my regen braking...feels perfectly normal to me
2. Buy this to solve your Auto SS problem and you'll never complain again:

bucolic

Reaction score
So many great point of views in here. I am 58 years old this year and have had my fill of going into a dealership. I trade every 2-3 years and the last 4 vehicles I purchased were bought online and all correspondence was done via email with a few phone calls. My last trade in February the dealers all email a nice PDF with all the details on it. Everything in black and white and no wasting the day sitting around in a dealership. I actually do not like to purchase from friends because I want to be impartial on the purchase and any issues I may have.

The RAM internet search has made it so easy to shop for trucks. When I traded my 2019 Laramie on the 2021 limited I need particular options and didn't want to order. I punched them in the search and found several of exactly what I needed and emailed the dealers. The trucks were all within a thousand dollars of MSRP and the difference in final cost was $6k from lowest to highest. I ended up driving 5 hours to the dealer for the truck. When I got there they had things set up to go quickly due to Covid. I was in and out in 30 minutes right to the penny they quoted. I love to drive so I enjoyed a nice drive enjoying my new truck. I have never had an issue with local dealers for warranty work.

Nothing wrong with wanting to buy locally in a small community. I would have paid a bit more at a local dealer for the convenience but there was low inventory in my area and again, with some deal-breaker options needed I wasn't going to compromise.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Um maybe a dumb question but in my 2019 I can turn it off. Do you not have that ability? I use mine all the time but when I am in stop and go traffic or a drive through I turn it off. Please tell me you have that option because I just ordered a 2021 and I hope you can still turn it off.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Um maybe a dumb question but in my 2019 I can turn it off. Do you not have that ability? I use mine all the time but when I am in stop and go traffic or a drive through I turn it off
Yes, we can all turn it off with the push of a switch. If you want it off all of the time, buy the device in the link above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/