5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide.

jebjam

Reaction score
I've read and researched and am ready to pull the trigger. We live in Colorado and will pull a 6000 lb boat (incl. trailer) occasionally with some mountain travel. I'm ready to order a 2021 Laramie 3.0 Ecodiesel with 3.92 axle, I know its more than I need but I'm tired of struggling with my 2007 Avalanche 5.3 as it tugs my 2000 lb travel trailer. But now...I've found a 2020 Limited with 3,000 miles for $5K less that would add power running boards (happy wife) and air suspension on a nearly new, less expensive (and probably negotiable for another grand less), but it has the 3.21. It checks all the boxes - color, hard to find ram box and split tailgate which I would order and can hardly find anywhere used. Its perfect and up a level for less cash....but that gear ratio.

I like the idea of a higher end truck for less money, nearly new (I learned the trade-in story and it doesn't worry me), but don't want to regret the 3.21 axle. I know it will reduce tow capacity (Ram lists a limited 3.21 at 8010 lbs instead of 9710). I don't want to be struggling going uphill, but given the weight I'm towing and the diesel advantage, and understanding the daily driver advantages of a 3.21, should I jump on the used or pay a little more for new with the 3.92 and a few less bells and whistles?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 3.92 in 8th is about the same as the 3.21 in 7th. Especially with the diesel, unless you're really looking to tow at or above the 7k 3.21 rating, I don't think you're going to need it.

The bigger thing to look at might be payload if you're going to be hauling a big TT.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The axle ratio should not be a deciding factor. The 3.21will work fine.
You really can’t tow more than the 3.21 allows, as you’ll be payload limited (which limits tongue weight).

if you like everything about the Limited except the 3.21, the I say jump.
I have a 3.92, tow a 6900# TT w/1000# tongue, and I’d do the 3.21 next time. I’ll never tow bigger than that with this size truck.

TheMopars

Reaction score
I'd take the Limited and the $5-6k savings. You'd also be getting real leather seats and a few other little
things included in the Limited trim.

jebjam

Reaction score
The axle ratio should not be a deciding factor. The 3.21will work fine.
You really can’t tow more than the 3.21 allows, as you’ll be payload limited (which limits tongue weight).

if you like everything about the Limited except the 3.21, the I say jump.
I have a 3.92, tow a 6900# TT w/1000# tongue, and I’d do the 3.21 next time. I’ll never tow bigger than that with this size truck.
Agreed, my travel trailer is just 2000#, even if I change trailers down the road I'll never exceed the boat at 6000#, just want to be able to tow through the mountains to distant lakes occasionally, usually there's just two of us in the cab. Good to hear your insights as a 3.92 owner. I was surprised RAM lists the 3.21 Limited's capacity at 1500# less than the 3.92, same truck. I get the torque difference off the line and at top speeds, would think tow capacity would be more influenced by trim and options than gear ratio. I did input the VIN and RAM lists this vehicle's capacity at 7754#.

I'd take the Limited and the $5-6k savings. You'd also be getting real leather seats and a few other little
things included in the Limited trim.
This is exactly how I'm leaning. Air suspension, running boards, upgraded interior and the other perks of a Limited over the Laramie (both are pretty beautiful).

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Limited with 3.21 gears. Last August I towed about #6000 from Boston to Colorado, then Sturgis, then back. Altough most of the journey was pretty flat, we did do a few small mountain ranges. Towed like a dream, ( don't expect anything but horror when it comes to MPG though!). by the way...did you say you had an Avalanche that "struggled" to pull #2000? what's the deal there? That should have been no problem.

jebjam

Reaction score
I have a Limited with 3.21 gears. Last August I towed about #6000 from Boston to Colorado, then Sturgis, then back. Altough most of the journey was pretty flat, we did do a few small mountain ranges. Towed like a dream, ( don't expect anything but horror when it comes to MPG though!). by the way...did you say you had an Avalanche that "struggled" to pull #2000? what's the deal there? That should have been no problem.
Awesome to hear your real world experience, matters more than numbers and stats (still staying within the safety of capacity and tongue weight, natch). I notice you have the 5.7, I am looking at the 3.0 ED, I think it will do as well or better uphill. I also notice you have the Bakflip MX4 which is exactly what I'm planning on installing. Are you happy with it functionally and the look of the aluminum panels? Nice toy on your signature too btw!

My Avalanche is pretty capable on level roads and short distances, I've mostly pulled my TT and have towed the 6000# boat 20 miles to the lake or 60 when I bought it. Up grades with a load it'll maintain speed but it doesn't like it, I've had to slow to avoid overheating when its over 90F and its not happy. It downshifts for a headwind on the interstate or any kind of grade at all. I get to where I want to be, but it feels like the truck isn't meant for it and I'm over that. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the Av, but I really want to be able to tow with a truck that feels like its made for the job and isn't stressing on every corner and hill. Now that its time for replacement that's my goal, I usually keep vehicles a long time (as evidenced by the Av), so I really want to get this one right.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome to hear your real world experience, matters more than numbers and stats (still staying within the safety of capacity and tongue weight, natch). I notice you have the 5.7, I am looking at the 3.0 ED, I think it will do as well or better uphill. I also notice you have the Bakflip MX4 which is exactly what I'm planning on installing. Are you happy with it functionally and the look of the aluminum panels? Nice toy on your signature too btw!

My Avalanche is pretty capable on level roads and short distances, I've mostly pulled my TT and have towed the 6000# boat 20 miles to the lake or 60 when I bought it. Up grades with a load it'll maintain speed but it doesn't like it, I've had to slow to avoid overheating when its over 90F and its not happy. It downshifts for a headwind on the interstate or any kind of grade at all. I get to where I want to be, but it feels like the truck isn't meant for it and I'm over that. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the Av, but I really want to be able to tow with a truck that feels like its made for the job and isn't stressing on every corner and hill. Now that its time for replacement that's my goal, I usually keep vehicles a long time (as evidenced by the Av), so I really want to get this one right.
The Bakflip Mx4 is very good. I chose that style over the hard roll-up type, because i did not want to lose any space in the cargo area with only a 5'7 box. Personally I would not want the Eco D...not a fan. The 5.7 is a long running design, plenty of power without turbo's, and less maintenance.

jebjam

Reaction score
The Bakflip Mx4 is very good. I chose that style over the hard roll-up type, because i did not want to lose any space in the cargo area with only a 5'7 box. Personally I would not want the Eco D...not a fan. The 5.7 is a long running design, plenty of power without turbo's, and less maintenance.
I know about the issues with the 1st and 2nd gen Eco diesel. I'm liking it for fuel economy and long term ownership. (I know the extra $ may be a long term wash but practically I'll be able to take either of my two vehicles on a long trip without a second thought on fuel costs real time). The 5.7 e torque is the most capable tow beast but a diesel in general is good for longevity and torque, would seem to be as good or better for mountain towing? I'm interested in your thoughts on the 3rd gen ED.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is gonna generate some flak, even though true: The 3.0 EcoD puts out less power, and will be more stressed and less capable than the 5.7 for towing the big stuff.

Buy the EcoD for fuel mileage; every other use case prefers the Hemi.

If we ever see a twin turbo straight six, I’ll reconsider...

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is gonna generate some flak, even though true: The 3.0 EcoD puts out less power, and will be more stressed and less capable than the 5.7 for towing the big stuff.

Buy the EcoD for fuel mileage; every other use case prefers the Hemi.

If we ever see a twin turbo straight six, I’ll reconsider...
ya, I agree...and not trying to bash the ED, for those that like them, that's great. I prefer gas, and I prefer a V8 in a truck. That's why they make different choices. I will say this though, you see a helluva lot more 5.7's out there than ED's.

jebjam

Reaction score
ya, I agree...and not trying to bash the ED, for those that like them, that's great. I prefer gas, and I prefer a V8 in a truck. That's why they make different choices. I will say this though, you see a helluva lot more 5.7's out there than ED's.
Yes, I hear both of you, and have seen the reliability of the 5.7s and read all about the earlier generation 3.0 woes....and, the 3rd gen is still an unknown for reliability. The 3.0 does put out less power and doesn't tow as well as the 5.7, I think that's established and shouldn't generate flak, pretty sure that's factual. I'll let you know how it goes...!

usedup

Reaction score
I towed a little with a '19 with the 3.21 and a '20 with the 3.92. They both had the 5.7 without a transmission cooler and I'd definitely want a transmission cooler to do any towing. IMHO

jebjam

Reaction score
My understanding was current RAMS all have transmission coolers standard. The tow package adds mirrors and trailer pressure monitors and such but not a transmission cooler, because they are already there?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding was current RAMS all have transmission coolers standard. The tow package adds mirrors and trailer pressure monitors and such but not a transmission cooler, because they are already there?
This is true. Not sure what the other poster was basing his assumption on.

jebjam

Reaction score
Well if you decide against the used Limited please shoot me the link as that's what I'm looking for! (Limited, 3.21, RamBoxes, MFT). But what color?! 😁

Cheers,
Toby.
Sorry Toby its in my driveway. It is an awesome drive and I'd highly recommend. BTW it was Red, probably a deal breaker for you anyway...? Also it was in NM...

Users who are viewing this thread