5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! looking to install grill lights

Jnecco

Reaction score
Has anyone installed grill lights behind the grill, looking to install 4 whelen ions, just wondering if anyone here has done it and how they went about it. Thank You

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Has anyone installed grill lights behind the grill, looking to install 4 whelen ions, just wondering if anyone here has done it and how they went about it. Thank You
I just finished installing behind the lower grill....I took the bumper off to get at it easier. I wouldn’t say it was the easiest ever but got it done in like 6 or 7 hours or so.

Doccruz1

Reaction score
Installed Rough Country 6" LED Grill lights. Instructions say like 6-8 hour install time but I did it in 2.5 hours. Pulling the front of the truck off a pain in the A$$.

Attachments

• 20200524_181454.jpg
    20200524_181454.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200524_181513.jpg
    20200524_181513.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 212

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Installed Rough Country 6" LED Grill lights. Instructions say like 6-8 hour install time but I did it in 2.5 hours. Pulling the front of the truck off a pain in the A$$.
Here’s how you would wire them.

I have seen that video. I have a Laramie, are the side marker lights the same wire color (white and yellow) as the rebel? Anyone know how I can get a headlight wiring diagram to confirm? Also, I know nothing about relay switches, is there a particular one I need or are they all pretty similar?

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know if it is the same wire color on the drivers side? Great YouTube channel btw. You have cost me $$$, lol

I don’t know, an easy way to check is to look and see what pin position this wire is on the passenger side then look at the driver side harness and see what wires is in the same position. I tried to find the wire harness diagram someone sent me but not having much luck.

Thanks for the comments and apologies for costing you money, I try to share coupon code and sales when I see them!

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I ended up using a switch wired to the fuse box inside the cab and hooked into F54 via fuse tap. Then switch is connected to relay box for the light. Finding help on how to wire this thing was very difficult. In the end I have it so that the relay hooks to F54 fuse via fuse tap with my switch inside the car. My light has the switch with amber dlr, full beam, and off. I have the switch set to amber all the time until I want to go full beam. With the switch tapped to F54 my amber light comes on whenever the truck is on (ACC) and then shuts off automatically when the truck is off. Full beam would come on if the truck is on (ACC) and the switch turned to full beam. Just FYI on how I worked mine. If you want light to come on everytime headlights turn on then you probably need to tap into the headlight wire as described in the youtube video referenced above unless you can find the right headlight fuse to tap into.

mlcarril

Reaction score
I don’t know, an easy way to check is to look and see what pin position this wire is on the passenger side then look at the driver side harness and see what wires is in the same position. I tried to find the wire harness diagram someone sent me but not having much luck.

Thanks for the comments and apologies for costing you money, I try to share coupon code and sales when I see them!

First, I will start by saying your videos have been very helpful. My current ram configuration is a Ram Rebel with factory LED headlight. I first tried wiring the relay to the white wire with the orange stripe. This wire appears to be a 10 volt line that was not powering the factory DRL. after going through the headlight wiring loom with a meter, I found the white wire with a Brown stripe to be powering the side lights. This worked well with my relay for the results I was looking for. After looking at your video, it looks like you tapped the same wire as I did. Top of the plug, wire 4 of 4 on top. Just different color.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
That looks nice. I really want to do this but no way I'm spending 3 hrs just to install a couple lights lol.

Scarriere

Reaction score
Good luck getting anything done to your truck if you’re not willing to spend the effort or time to do it.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Good luck getting anything done to your truck if you’re not willing to spend the effort or time to do it.

FYI, I've done more installs and custom builds than I care to count. When you get to be my age you start weighing effort to reward. Nice assumption based on that statement though. ;)

Scarriere

Reaction score
FYI, I've done more installs and custom builds than I care to count. When you get to be my age you start weighing effort to reward. Nice assumption based on that statement though. ;)
Sorry.
Your post made it seem like 3hrs was too much effort for the lights.
I did them and to me, it was worth the effort.
Again, I do apologize.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
Sorry.
Your post made it seem like 3hrs was too much effort for the lights.
I did them and to me, it was worth the effort.
Again, I do apologize.

No worries man. I really do like the look. What's funny is I've always planned on spending that amount of time on my past rams to upgrade to HID's. I was excited to get the premium lighting group to avoid that this go around. :D

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you guys happy with the light output on the 20" bar? Also do u feel that open mesh up front is hurting the light output significantly? Thanks in advance

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Are you guys happy with the light output on the 20" bar? Also do u feel that open mesh up front is hurting the light output significantly? Thanks in advance
I like the 20" hidden bar for the light output. I havent messed with angling it but it is basically brighter than my high beams. Then you add the high beams to it and it is pretty darn bright. Not a ton of side splash from it though, some but not a ton. I also returned the light that was part of the RC 20" hidden kit and exchanged it for the slightly more expensive CREE version on their site that has a few more lumens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online