5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - How to wire bed cap brake light.

Branko

Reaction score
Somebody has idea how to wire bed cap brake light and interior lights (2 led strips are inside cap) Thank you for any input.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bed cap brake light:
tap into your driver side brake light. to do so, you need to remove the tail light and unplug the harness. Find the white w/ green wire (iirc it's white w/ green. it's been a long time since i last did mine and when i swapped from bed rack to camper i just cut and reconnect the third brake light) and use a t-tap to tap into it and route your cap's brake light. check if it works.
if it doesn't you'll need to use a multimeter to find the correct wire.

interior lights:
run power and ground from battery under the hood along the frame and up the holes in bed. connect the led strips to a switch and switch to the wires you just ran. Don't forget to use an inline fuse and zip tie the wires to the frame. i don't like to make it in conjunction with other functions (like turns on when you open the tailgate or doors, or etc) because that's limitation. What if I want to leave the lights on for extended period of time, after the door light times out? What if I want to turn on the lights but no need to open the tailgate?

alternatively, if you are planning for more electrical stuff in the bed (or doing a camper-living space type of build), follow my steps here:
In-depth View of Electrical System for Overlanding and Offroading
start from section called "camper system"

Branko

Reaction score
bed cap brake light:
tap into your driver side brake light. to do so, you need to remove the tail light and unplug the harness. Find the white w/ green wire (iirc it's white w/ green. it's been a long time since i last did mine and when i swapped from bed rack to camper i just cut and reconnect the third brake light) and use a t-tap to tap into it and route your cap's brake light. check if it works.
if it doesn't you'll need to use a multimeter to find the correct wire.

interior lights:
run power and ground from battery under the hood along the frame and up the holes in bed. connect the led strips to a switch and switch to the wires you just ran. Don't forget to use an inline fuse and zip tie the wires to the frame. i don't like to make it in conjunction with other functions (like turns on when you open the tailgate or doors, or etc) because that's limitation. What if I want to leave the lights on for extended period of time, after the door light times out? What if I want to turn on the lights but no need to open the tailgate?

alternatively, if you are planning for more electrical stuff in the bed (or doing a camper-living space type of build), follow my steps here:
In-depth View of Electrical System for Overlanding and Offroading
start from section called "camper system"
Thank you for your reply Ill follow this instruction THX

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Ill follow this instruction THX
double check on the brake light wire with a multimeter.
it's been a long time since i touched mine so my memory can be wrong.

been wiring too many toyotas at the shop these days.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
There is a spare, white wire with purple stripe taped up inside the wiring harness up underneath on the drivers side rear. I'm sure there are better descriptions and photos out there but this wire is for the brake light. You just unwrap some tape and the end will come free to solder on to.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Below is the wiring info Leer uses to determine wire tap-in location for CHMSL and locks. There should be an existing wire gromet below the rear drivers-side seat to run the wire through into the cab.

I'm pretty sure there is no spare wire in a bundle for this purpose like there was on the 4th gen trucks.

RAM1500Wiring4Shell.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Below is the wiring info Leer uses to determine wire tap-in location for CHMSL and locks. There should be an existing wire gromet below the rear drivers-side seat to run the wire through into the cab.

I'm pretty sure there is no spare wire in a bundle for this purpose like there was on the 4th gen trucks.

View attachment 181740
that looks a lot more involving than just t-tap the brake light harness lolll
i mean for the locks i understand but for CHMSL only... so complicated :confused:

Branko

Reaction score
Thank you guys lot of great information ill look in to it BIG THX TO ALL

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
here, this thread has ALL the info you need for you topper:
I followed the instructions posted there when I installed my camper top awhile back. They are way better than Leer instructions, especially for wiring the brake light. There is already a wire under the bed on the left side near the back (instructions in the thread), so no need to tap into existing wires.
For the interior light I tapped into my existing bed lights. I also followed instructions on that thread for wiring the power lock.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
This is the spare wire you'll find under there. I soldered to it for my 3rd brake light on Bestop supertop and works fine. And you can see the reason to not use a knife to take the tape off...

Attachments

• 20220425_192115.jpg
    20220425_192115.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread