5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help deciding options

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I have been anxiously awaiting the return of Level 2 for Larime.
Now that it is available I have questions:
Has anyone had issues with 5.7 E-torque?
Multi function tailgate - felt cheap when I saw last year, especially when closing - is it durable and worth it?
Uconnect 5 12" vs 8.4" - I have no experience with either - I'm old school with knobs - but not afraid - just need to justify price
I am getting Advanced Safety - not sure if creen size would be better or the same?
Heads up technology gone?
Thanks,
Jim

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only you can decide if options are worth it. But I can tell you that I'd probably opt against e-torque if I had a choice. MFT is amazing, and I will always get it if available. The 12 inch screen is amazing, but I miss having buttons for the seat heat/vent and steering wheel heat. There are buttons for pretty much everything else. I love the HUD. Hopefully it's not gone.

cleandirt

Reaction score
I have the e-torque and am happy with the 1500 miles I have on it, based on what I’ve read I don’t expect to have issues with it. That said, I’m not sure it’s worth the extra complexity, especially if you think you will keep the truck beyond the 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty or if you don’t like the start stop function and turn it off when you drive. It is also a 80lb payload penalty if that matters to you. I chose the 8.4” screen, I preferred the knobs and found the larger screen distracting. I don’t have the overhead camera option, perhaps that would make the 12” screen more appealing. For my uses, I didn’t think the multi function tailgate was worth the extra cost, payload penalty and the extra complexity of moving parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
ETorque with its very limited impact on mileage is called a mild hybrid. It is REALLY mild but it also another bit of high tech stuff that in my opinion is not worth the cost in relation to what you get. And what's it gonna do in five years?

Multi-function tailgate is NOT something I particularly wanted, but was on the one I got from the dealer. It is now one of the most valuable things I have. I almost never use the regular tailgate. That "cheapness" you reference "felt" could be said about any of them once they moved to aluminum vs steel tailgates. They are lighter but they really engineered that tailgate and it is generally viewed even by "most" objective reviewers as the most practical of the bunch. I NOW agree. And you won't get it until you realize how nice it is to NOT have to reach over the tailgate for everything AND how you can almost reach into a 5' 7" short bed all the way back. But you still have the regular tailgate when you need the extra real estate (see hauling wood) or need a work surface... Best of both worlds.

Ramboxes are another one that I didn't know I needed or wanted until forced to get it on my truck. I used to have stuff in those black boxes with yellow tops in the old truck. NO MORE. It all fits in the Ramboxes... AND a 4x8 sheet of plywood still fits fine in the back.

After two trucks with the regular headlights, The light package was a MUST for me. Living in Montana and dodging Deer and Elk is not an uncommon thing. The GOOD headlights make a big difference.

I personally prefer the 8.4 inch screen over the new 12 inch. Another guy described why. It's still big and good and apparently has fewer software issues.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I am definitely getting the RamBox, I have it on my '09 and will not get a new truck without. The headlights you mention, I thought the Larime was an upgrade from Big Horn, but not the same as Limited. Is there an upgrade on the Larime for lights? I have lived with the awful lights on my '09 for too long.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am definitely getting the RamBox, I have it on my '09 and will not get a new truck without. The headlights you mention, I thought the Larime was an upgrade from Big Horn, but not the same as Limited. Is there an upgrade on the Larime for lights? I have lived with the awful lights on my '09 for too long.
You can upgrade the Big Horn lights to the same that you get on the Laramie and Rebel (LED reflector). There is no factory Laramie or Rebel headlight upgrade. The Limited and Longhorn headlights (LED projetor) are superior to the Laramie headlights, but you can't just swap those over to a Laramie, Rebel, or Big Horn.

sessman

Reaction score
Do not get the eTorque, get the 12" and get the pano sunroof (definitely one of the biggest head turners when people get in the truck)

jgmac98

Reaction score
everything is personal preference.

I have the eTorque system and the start stop doesn't bother me, shifts like smooth butter. really impressed with it and would get it again. Yes, future repair bills could get interesting, but look at the tech in any new car and this isn't as scary as other options.

MFT: the truck I had initially ordered did NOT have this as i thought it was gimmicky, but after months with no VIN I ended up finding a truck on the lot and it had most options I wanted but it had the MFT on it. After having the MFT for a couple months now, it's something I'd want in future trucks. My uses are mostly city truck and holiday trailer towing, but not having to reach over the tailgate to get to anything is awesome. And you keep the functionality of putting the tailgate down if you're hauling larger things. Definitely worth it to me.

12" screen... Love it. I do wish it was a little faster and while you can customize it I do find it is a little limited in what you can do with it. I wish there were still physical buttons for heated/vented seat/steering wheel, but my wife's 2013 ford doesn't have buttons for those things and the screen is still going strong. I'm not too concerned about this going forward.

Can't comment on the HUD, I wish I had it, but wasn't available when i ordered or on any trucks on lots when i bought.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here are my opinions based on how I use my truck:

I have a Laramie with Adv Safety Package and the 12" screen. My previous rig had the safety stuff with the 8.4. The screen makes no difference or advantage in my opinion. I was just building a new truck on Ram website and opted for the 8.4". The money they want (2G's!!) for the larger screen is way too much for what you get. Yes it's nice but just not worth that amount of money to me. And no, the ASG will not affect screen size if you choose it.

As an aside, I do find the 360 SurroundView cameras to be VERY useful.

The MFT has been discussed much on this forum...I can't thin of a time anyone ever said anything negative. There may have been a slight few that said it was just OK, but the overwhelming response to it is very much to the positive. I'd spend the money on that over the 12" screen all day long.

No comment on eTorque, Rambox or HUD because I've never owned them. However, I may very well opt for all three were I in the same position.

Good luck!

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. The only other thing is the HUD. It is not available on the Larime as of now. Any idea if it's related to chip shortages, and could be introduced in the future like Level 1 and Level 2?
Jim

Kaderast

Reaction score
Do not get the eTorque, get the 12" and get the pano sunroof (definitely one of the biggest head turners when people get in the truck)
Funny how opinions work. Me personally I say get the eTorque, the stop/start function is flawlessly perfect. The 12" screen and pano sunroof are a huge waste of money though. 8" screen is just the right size. My wife's Durango has a sunroof, its been used maybe 3 times in the last 5 years.

Southside

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. The only other thing is the HUD. It is not available on the Larime as of now. Any idea if it's related to chip shortages, and could be introduced in the future like Level 1 and Level 2?
Jim
I ordered the Tech Package yesterday on a Big Horn. Previously, I went through the same thing as you with the Premium Lighting Group, which was a must have for me. PLG just became orderable again after maybe ~2 months of being restricted. I'm fairly new to the fourm and I have seen gear ratios, paint colors, packages, etc. across all trims go into temporary restrictions a lot, but not always for very long. Major packages, for example Ram Boxs on Big Horns will likely be much longer than Tech Package, which could be just a day or two.

The Tech Package has the HUD, but also the rear view mirror camera, which is what i was mainly interested in. This upgrades the Center High Mounted Brake Light to LED and has a better look in my opinion. Retrofitting the rear brake light afterwards is more expensive than the whole Tech Package, and the HUD isn't retrofitable.

I would wait a couple days and see if it becomes unrestricted and get what you want.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the HUD is a part of Limited Level 1 (they combined Limited Level 1 and Tech). The only other way to get it is by adding the Tech Package onto the Big Horn.

I ordered eTorque, MFT, Ramboxes and LL1. In my experience, most negative complaints online are not representative of most user experiences. People are much more likely to dole out complaints over praises. Most people seem to like the MFT and Ramboxes. I will say skip Ramboxes if you plan to use your bed for hauling stuff like mulch. You'll fit a lot more into a non-MFT bed than one with it. For my use, Ramboxes just makes sense and the convenience factor of the MFT is high, high on my list.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Seems odd that it is an option on the Big Horn and not the Larime. I thought the shortages restricted the lower trim levels first.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait, can we no longer get led headlights on the Laramie? I’m about to buy a 2022 and I love the led’s on my 2020 Laramie. Really don’t want to go back to halogens.

Southside

Reaction score
Wait, can we no longer get led headlights on the Laramie? I’m about to buy a 2022 and I love the led’s on my 2020 Laramie. Really don’t want to go back to halogens.
Heads up display, LED Head lights, which for the Big Horn is part of the Preimium Lighting Group, was restricted for a couple months, but is back again. I believe Laramie is LED as standard, and a option to switch to Halogenfor a credit if you so chose.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heads up display, LED Head lights, which for the Big Horn is part of the Preimium Lighting Group, was restricted for a couple months, but is back again. I believe Laramie is LED as standard, and a option to switch to Halogenfor a credit if you so chose.
The Ram website shows led headlights on the Limited and the halogens on the Laramie. The advanced lighting group is not an option for the Laramie on the website. Hopefully you are correct. Definitely do not want halogens on my new truck.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My input on eTorque and 12 inch screen: I’ve got almost 37,000 miles on my truck, still shuts off and starts just as smoothly as brand new, no issues so far thankfully. I was always a physical buttons guy but now that I’ve had the 12 inch screen I’ll never go back. One thing I don’t see mentioned often regarding 12 inch is the first thing that shows up when you turn the truck on is all your heated / cooled buttons on the screen, you do not have to wait for the system to fully boot to turn on those options. The rest of the climate control is all physical buttons, not knobs but better than only being on the screen, I use the buttons all the time. I would personally recommend the etorque if you’re going for 3.92 gears as fuel economy gets decimated. With the 3.21’s etorque might not be worth it but I have no experience there. Also etorque used to be $100’s more as an option, now it’s the same price as the regular 5.7.

Phippy

Reaction score
The Ram website shows led headlights on the Limited and the halogens on the Laramie. The advanced lighting group is not an option for the Laramie on the website. Hopefully you are correct. Definitely do not want halogens on my new truck.
I still see led tail lamps, led fog lamps and led reflector headlamps standard on the Laramie

Users who are viewing this thread