5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a mechanical dummy with choosing the right truck

MDLDDS

Reaction score
Alright full transparency I am not the most mechanically minded person out there and certainly not the most knowledgable when it comes to trucks. With that said I am looking for a new truck and I'm trying to decide between a Ram 1500 Laramie and a F150 Lariat. Besides driving the truck to work (approximately 40miles round trip) I will be using the truck for hunting, fishing and towing a 5000lb camper. I usually go on one or two long trips every year out west to CO/WY/UT/MT so the truck would occasionally be used in high elevation. I want 4x4, crew cab for family, leather interior with heated seats. For the Ram I want the 5.7L V8 and I'm thinking the eTorque motor. Not sure about 3.21 vs 3.92 rear axle (leaning towards the 3.92). Also I'm thinking about adding 4 corner air suspension and not sure if tow package is included with this setup or if I'd have to add it (don't think I'll need or want the Max tow pkg). I believe I'll be plenty suited for my needs with this setup but I'd rather have room to spare than be cutting it close. So what do you guys think. With these parameters what do you think is best for my needs? Also if anybody was wondering what I was comparing it to with the F150 it would be either the 3.5L V6 ecoboost or 5.0L V8 but I think I'm getting more bang for the buck and a better ride with the RAM but feel free to chime in if you disagree with this as well. Thanks for any help/advice.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Laramie will have the full tow package. Note: do not get tow mirrors if you want powerfold or surroundview. The regular mirrors will provide enough view while keeping those 2 popular items.

maybe look at the offroad package since you state you will be hunting and fishing. You will get the rear locker, Hill descent, a factory lift and some skid plates.

And the 4 corner air suspension would definitely be something I would get.

My opinion is...get the 3.92 rear. Unless you are going to drive ultra conservative and always on the highway...the fuel savings will be minimal, but you will appreciate the 3.92 when headed through the states you mentioned.

Sounds like the truck you want is also the truck you need. The 1500 will definitely do what you are asking of it

Good luck.

jermball623

Reaction score
Both trucks will do what you need to do just fine. All really just depends on your preference. I'd go Ram but I like them more lol. And the 3.21 would most likely suit your needs but if you decide to add a lift and tires I'd just go with the 3.92. I had a 12 with the 3.55 and it was a dog after I put 35s on it. Just my opinion others will chime in.

MDLDDS

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to drive some later this week and just wanted to make sure I know what my must haves will be prior to driving

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With everything you said you're looking at a Laramie or a Rebel (or higher trim). Laramie with the Off Road package and a few other things is basically a Rebel with a nicer interior, although the Rebel gets the more aggressive exterior looks. Off road package, as far as I am aware, automatically means the 3.92 gears so you can tow more easily.

If you're new to trucks know this: If you don't have a locking differential your truck is basically 2WD even though it says it's 4WD. Open differentials means power goes to the wheel with the least traction, which is why you see 1 wheel burnouts. If it's in 2WD that means you'll get power to 1 rear wheel if it's in the air or just spinning. If it's in 4WD that means you get 1 wheel front and 1 wheel rear. If you have a locking differential then both wheels on that axle (the rear) get the same power so you're essentially 3WD.

MDLDDS

Reaction score
What about 4 corner air suspension? Necessary or not. I have a brother with a 3/4 ton with it and uses a big travel trailer and swears I won't want to go without it but not sure how much that will improve the towing experience and if it justifies the pricetag for my usage. Thanks for the info on the locking differential.

bfp9

Reaction score
What about 4 corner air suspension? Necessary or not. I have a brother with a 3/4 ton with it and uses a big travel trailer and swears I won't want to go without it but not sure how much that will improve the towing experience and if it justifies the pricetag for my usage. Thanks for the info on the locking differential.

I have towed up to 8k-ish pounds with my limited with air suspension. It levels out completely and tows like a dream with the 3.21. Your rear end will sag with 5k+ lbs. You will love the adjustability of the air suspension, and how it rides and tows. Absolutely go for the air suspension.

The other option is installing aftermarket helper bags in the rear which in my eyes, doesn’t make sense as id rather use OEM parts and get a truck from the factory that is set up the way id like.

Just my .02.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at the air suspension as something else that could potentially have issues. I read about a lot of issues with the air suspension, and it seemed like a hefty price tag for a potential headache. I'd rather spend $500 for a Timber Grove or AirLift kit in the rear, which is what I plan to do eventually. Add an onboard compressor for another $200-300, and you're set for $1000 less than the OEM system.

Since you've said you're not mechanically inclined, I don't know if you'd install yourself or not. For me, it's something I love doing so I don't count the couple hours spent installing as money wasted. Non-drilled airbags would take me about 2 hours to install (I've done it before). My 2" lift on the front took about 3 hours to install myself due to an issue. Could have taken 2 hours. Combine those two I have a 2" lifted truck that won't sag for around $600 (without the compressor).

jermball623

Reaction score
Air suspension would be cool but I've put rear bags on my last 3 trucks and they work just fine. But if you're willing to pay for it then get the air suspension, seems pretty nice. I'd never have it because I would never pay for it. That's also why I've got a tradesman and not a "nicer" trim. But IMO RAM makes a pretty damn nice base model.

Users who are viewing this thread