5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig sway bar making noise

U

User_21361

Ive noticed a few times now that after water crossings or muddy off-roading or trip to the car wash that the rubber bushing on the hellwig squeaks like crazy. The last time it happened, I took it off and greased the bar. It fixed it right up but was a PITA and not something I want to do every couple of months. I searched and it doesn’t seem anyone else has this issue. Any thoughts or remedies outside taking it off?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's very typical for urethane bushings. Some other suspension items use greasable fittings that eliminate this or at least make it less.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

U

User_21361

That's very typical for urethane bushings. Some other suspension items use greasable fittings that eliminate this or at least make it less.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have grease fittings on almost everything else. Does anyone know if one works with the hellwig?

PorBoy

Reaction score
I couldn’t find one to work with mine so greasing I will go. :(

U

User_21361

If I can find a drill press, I may try to add a zerk fitting to the mounts. I’ll report back if I can make any progress. The squeak is really bugging me haha

U

User_21361

Have a tap kit and zerk fittings arriving Friday. It won’t be prefect but hopefully easier than taking the darn thing apart every few months. I’ll post back on progress when I make time to install

U

User_21361

I did one side. Not extremely happy with the results. The grease mostly shoots out of the side of the bracket instead of the bushing. The question is how much grease is making it to the inside of the bushing. I’m going to leave one side normal and test to see if it is actually any better over time. The install took about 10 min

c17468722411f6e65f39b9078d1d227d.jpg

5641d58125f46d039f879cab3bccac70.jpg

fa787c58a044fbd46bc4fe9ce8b0dc29.jpg

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Another option is a couple wraps of thread seal tape around the sway bar. The stuff for water fittings is good, the tape for gas fittings is even thicker. Wrapped mine 18 months or so ago and it’s still working today.

U

User_21361

Another option is a couple wraps of thread seal tape around the sway bar. The stuff for water fittings is good, the tape for gas fittings is even thicker. Wrapped mine 18 months or so ago and it’s still working today.
Sweet, ill have to give this a try if my grease method doesnt work. Thanks for the info. Do you do a lot of offroading or water crossings? I have noticed mine gets way worse when it gets gunked up.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have this problem too! It’s annoying but I don’t care too much

Scram1500

Reaction score
I wonder if graphite powder would work too. The teflon tape idea is genius

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Nah. No real off-roading, just “truck stuff” around the property. It started squeaking on mine really early on, it’s been a long while, but I wanna say within days of the install. Wrapped it with tape (someone here had suggested it) and it’s been silent for the past 18 months or so.
Sweet, ill have to give this a try if my grease method doesnt work. Thanks for the info. Do you do a lot of offroading or water crossings? I have noticed mine gets way worse when it gets gunked up.
o

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Around which part of the sway bar specifically? Around the bushings?

Jako

Reaction score
Ive noticed a few times now that after water crossings or muddy off-roading or trip to the car wash that the rubber bushing on the hellwig squeaks like crazy. The last time it happened, I took it off and greased the bar. It fixed it right up but was a PITA and not something I want to do every couple of months. I searched and it doesn’t seem anyone else has this issue. Any thoughts or remedies outside taking it off?
Hellwig comes with grease. Do you know if it was greased when installed?

I have used this grease below on the splines on BMW motorcycles, pricey but really good stuff.

Not sure how either would work in your application but can verify the staburgas sticks.

U

User_21361

Hellwig comes with grease. Do you know if it was greased when installed?

I have used this grease below on the splines on BMW motorcycles, pricey but really good stuff.

Not sure how either would work in your application but can verify the staburgas sticks.

I did grease it when I installed it and a few times since then. The issues is more when the under side of the truck gets very wet or gunked up, the noise starts again and needs more grease. Im going to run my current setup for a few months (since I already drilled everything haha). If that doesn't hold up, ill replace the bushings and try out the teflon tape. If I could get 18 months of use with no noise as others have seen, that would work. Right now I've been having to grease every 2-3 months which is too much work.

Users who are viewing this thread