5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Rear Sway Bar 7793 VS 7709

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw that one but since it didn't say Hellwig. I thought it was a no name brand. Did not see Hellwig anywhere other than the 7709.
Yeah that's just a quick search, but I bought the Hellwig for that price, but cancelled until I figured out what I was doing :ROFLMAO:

Jkmrc51

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on the Hellwig. Another clue on this knockoff is it says 2 yr warranty. Hellwig says Lifetime.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Ok, my second day driving with the 7709 in the middle setting: 😍

The change wasn’t drastic but it was significant. It's not what it does, it's what it doesn't do.

In 2 words: predictable control.

I had installed new Bilstein rear shocks P/N 24-228848 the week before. Both were easy DIY installs and restored a better than new ride quality with no harshness what so ever.
Having said that, the Hellwig bar is a smidgen(1/16") smaller than the Laramie Longhorn bar that I took off. (Solid vs hollow?)
I will be trying the tightest/closest hole setting next week, just because this improvement did not compromise the straight line ride quality at all.
Previously I had leveled the truck by lowering the rear through the use of Revel links. And whilst I did like the lower center of gravity when I swung the back end around, I did not like "lower spring rate" feeling of having less nitrogen pressure in the rear bags. (and being so close to the bottom-out bump stops). So I went back to the factory links.
In conclusion I feel that these two upgrades (Bilstein & Hellwig) are a "must do" on any Ram, And if you have raised your truck or you do any towing at all I would recommend going with the 7793

Last edited:

Morenar

Reaction score
Just received my Hellwig Sway bar from realtruck but it will have to wait. Dropped off the truck to get most likely the exhaust manifolds replaced due to cracking.

Morenar

Reaction score
Going to pick it up in an hour but there was a manifold leak on the passenger side. Should be covered by Powertrain. Will have more info here shortly.
Just picked it up and it was stripped threads plus cracked manifold on passenger side. Covered by powertrain warranty. My truck only has 39,000 miles.

Sapper0252

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade rear sway bar on my 2020 Laramie 1500 4x4. I have a travel trailer toy hauler and even with my WDH occasionally I get a twitch above 65 mph, sort of like you get when passing a semi sometimes. Wondering if anyone else has had this and if a heavier sway bar corrected it.

Jedi9

Reaction score
What it did for me is "plant" the rear end better, its more stable now, pulling my little work trailer I would get a "lean" going around corners. It took that out

E.Hands

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade rear sway bar on my 2020 Laramie 1500 4x4. I have a travel trailer toy hauler and even with my WDH occasionally I get a twitch above 65 mph, sort of like you get when passing a semi sometimes. Wondering if anyone else has had this and if a heavier sway bar corrected it.
My bet is that it will. You will be happy with this mod.

Gren71

Reaction score
I have the 7709 on and set to the middle hole. Like others have said its not a HUGE improvement, but its noticeable. After driving and towing in the middle hole i moved it to the 3rd hole (closest to the rear axle) and MAN what a massive improvement with just day to day driving. Im going to see how it feels towing later today. If its better I MAY go for the larger bar (7739 i think?) and have it set to the lightest setting.

Loganator456

Reaction score
I have the 7709 on and set to the middle hole. Like others have said its not a HUGE improvement, but its noticeable. After driving and towing in the middle hole i moved it to the 3rd hole (closest to the rear axle) and MAN what a massive improvement with just day to day driving. I'm going to see how it feels towing later today. If its better I MAY go for the larger bar (7739 i think?) and have it set to the lightest setting.
I have a 21' Limited with the factory 22's and did this also, but I have the 7793 (the 1" bar). I absolutely LOVE the handling on the tightest setting but I found after a while it made the ride way harsher, even after bumping tire pressures down to compensate for this. At 100k miles I was suspecting maybe my rear shocks were worn but after going back to the "stock" setting, the ride calmed back down to an "acceptable" level. I would love some combo of better shocks so I could retain good ride quality but have the better handling, but couldn't figure it out so I am back to the far outside holes with more body roll.

Anyone else have the same problem?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 21' Limited with the factory 22's and did this also, but I have the 7793 (the 1" bar). I absolutely LOVE the handling on the tightest setting but I found after a while it made the ride way harsher, even after bumping tire pressures down to compensate for this. At 100k miles I was suspecting maybe my rear shocks were worn but after going back to the "stock" setting, the ride calmed back down to an "acceptable" level. I would love some combo of better shocks so I could retain good ride quality but have the better handling, but couldn't figure it out so I am back to the far outside holes with more body roll.

Grab some Bilstein 4600's. A guy just did this for his with the air suspension. @E.Hands

Gren71

Reaction score
30ft 6,500lbs (+/-) w/715lbs tongue

Airlift bags inflated to 22psi
Tires at 37psi cold (same as every day)
7709 sway bar at tightest setting
Equalizer 4 point WDH
Recent alignment

This set up drove the best ive had yet with this 1500. Absolute joy to drive! One handed doing 65mph on the highway with weather, wind, trucks passing us. I couldn’t be happier. As long as the experience is similar on the way home next week I’ll probably stick with what I have.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score

That is the trade off I believe.
I went from middle hole to inner one (7709) and the ride feels bumpier in general but it feels better when turning. And it's great at highway speeds.
Maybe upgrading the rear dampeners would help?

Users who are viewing this thread