5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Hello Naysayers"

alanstahl

Reaction score
I have about 5000 miles on my truck which was built in mid July, 2018, delivered on 9/27/18 and is a fully loaded RAMBOX, 22"wheels: 3.92, Etorque Hemi, black, black. First I would like to say that RAM has done one hell of a job in designing and engineering of this truck and to date I only have praise. This is my 3rd RAM 1500 and it is by far the best, and by most magazines and authorities it has been rated the best.
For those of you who are wondering if you should buy, absolutely. For those of you that have had problems I feel for you. But I think certain fundamentals should be brought to everyone's attention as to what can go wrong on a product that has hundreds of thousands of parts. And, today with so much of the truck controlled by electronics, there is always the possibility that there could be an electronic failure as all electronics typically will, if they are going to fail, fail within the first 90 days or so due to a heat breakdown. So if you have a new truck and have experienced an electronic problem, it was likely engineered properly but failed due to overheating of an electronic component. The indentical part replaced might last 20 years or more. So if it's an electronic issue it should be easily fixable. That said, if it is an assembly glitch or mechanical problem, again, the design is likely not flawed but an improper fit or in simple need of an adjustment. Also, when 50,000 trucks a month are built there are going to be some failures, some paint flaws, some misalignements so perfection in unlikely. This is not a hand build coach. But I have been very pleased with this RAM including the HK sound system, quietness, fit and finish overall, quality and detail, general performance, and if there are any issues to note, they are minor and are the following.
1. My front passenger door could be adjusted to be a little more perfect as it is off by about 1/16th of an inch in the middle where it latches. the top and bottom are good.
2. My milage is less than I would like, 13-14 city, 17-18 highway. When I bring it in for the first service I will see if there is a service update as I did expect more with the eTorque upgrade.
3. "IBrake" when in reverse can be a little jarring but it does work so in the end its acceptable. It may save a life. Keep your foot on the brake as you back up on any down grade and you'll be Ok.

I wrote this to give comfort to those wondering and to those who have not had the enjoyment they had hoped and for that I am sorry. But, I think that FCA should be praised for this outstanding product and not have the few who have had bad luck be the voice of RAM. But I do think FCA should listen better and react better toall buyers with any problem and try and help those that put their confidence in FCA, possibly changing brands in this process and then were not happy. FCA has the most to win if they do. It is interesting to note as a sidebar that the Lincoln Blackhawk was never well received yet was an upscale truck with a high end finish. Wrong time, wrong place. I suspect it would do better today with an update. But, RAM has knocked it out of the park with the design, finish, quality and ride. I hope this helps those on the fence. IMG_0021.jpeg

19BH

Reaction score
Just about to roll 900 miles on mine. No issues. I do have an appt on the 15th to get a software flash for the rough idle (intermittent). But love it so far

Ramlax

Reaction score
8k miles in 3 months here and loving every second. Not one issue so far that is note worthy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love the comments, @alanstahl.

I feel for those that have experienced issues—especially safety and driveability issues that have kept trucks in the shop for extended periods of time. I might feel the same as them if mine was a lemon.

That said, I agree that this truck is a significant achievement; Ram has created a product here that changes the market dynamics. There are so many innovations and advancements over the previous generation that seemingly the only criticisms of the new truck is that the exterior is conservative and it still has a HEMI in the engine bay.

I had been thinking about buying a new truck for a couple of years, but nothing 'moved the needle' until I saw (and sat in) the 2019 Ram at last year's Dallas Auto Show. It made enough of an impression on me that I have a Longhorn in the garage today.

IMG_5156.jpg

My primary concern about the truck is reliability, having owned a pair of solid early-'00s GM trucks. To date, I've encountered very few issues on the Ram and have purchased the lifetime warranty. And at present, I have no plans to shop for trucks in the next few years.

79 300

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts.

19Jake

Reaction score
NO EXCUSE when it comes to poor assembly process quality.
This truck's built in a state of the art facility.
Blame falls squarely on management because they call the shots.
In reality it comes down to PROFITS over quality.
Improving quality cuts into the bottom line!
Consumers & dealers are left to deal with the aftermath.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Over 5000 miles on my loaded RAM limited. Absolutely zero issues. Nicest driving/riding vehicle I have ever been in. Love it! Cat back Magna Flow going on next week.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
14,300 miles on my Limited. So far it has been great. Had a couple small fit, finish issues that were corrected quickly at the dealer. My real only complaint is the lagging touch screen, but patiently waiting another update that hopefully corrects it. It works perfectly 90% of the time, then has its bad days. Just had my magnaflow catback installed last week and love it!

steveved

Reaction score
7200 miles on my Laramie now since October. My only issue is the squealing front brakes. Not interested in the redesigned factory pads. Waiting for Hawk or Powerstop to come out with something that bites a little better. My only other complaint is that the Nav system isn't "smart enough" to detect a passenger and allow her to change destinations and stuff without me having to pull into a rest stop or use a phone.

I have the eTorque Hemi and while I don't regret getting this engine... I am not really convinced it makes a diff in mileage. When I drive it, I average 13.7mpg and my wife gets 16.2 when she drives it to work. We got 22mpg on our last trip. My buddy's 2017 Ram with Hemi gets better mileage than that, as did my 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 and 4x4. So, the jury is still out as to whether eTorque really give you another 2mpg. I sort of doubt it.

But, this truck has been rock solid and is a Huge improvement over my Silverado. Don't regret this purchase one little bit. Just have those 2 minor gripes.

Hope those with problem trucks get them resolved and start enjoying theirs as much as we (the wife and I) enjoy ours.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm taking mine in for a small issue Monday morning, but even with that, I love my new truck. It's 3 tons of fun.

With the amount of technology and number of parts in a new vehicle, it's the exception to not have a single issue, not the rule. Even luxury brands are not 'perfect'.

Users who are viewing this thread