5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Eastern Tennessee

DavDini

Reaction score
At the ripe old age of 68 and with a request from my wife that I buy a pickup truck I am about to purchase (next month) one next month. The only pickup that I have ever owned was a 2010 Ford F150 Platinum edition that we loved but the satelite antenna housing leaked from day one and Ford could never fix it. After 2 years I sold it back to them. For this truck my wife stipulated a couple of things....No Ford, crew cab, snazzy color (prefers red), leather seats and she thinks that Ram is a sexy looking truck. So I am going to be buying a Ram 1500 Laramie with some horns and whistles. I must admit that after reading reviews from Car and Driver and a few others that this truck sounds awfully nice while some reviews from some forums report a tremendous number of problems. So I am seeking to educate myself to help me with my purchase decision. We do no towing and I can't think of why I would ever need 4 wheel drive so 8 cylinders and 4x4 are not really required but based on what I can learn from you owners they are certainly on the table. I am looking to learn a lot as I have always been a sedan guy and I had a bad experience with the F150. Given the very high price of these things I don't want to make another mistake. Looking forward to the experience.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At the ripe old age of 68 and with a request from my wife that I buy a pickup truck I am about to purchase (next month) one next month. The only pickup that I have ever owned was a 2010 Ford F150 Platinum edition that we loved but the satelite antenna housing leaked from day one and Ford could never fix it. After 2 years I sold it back to them. For this truck my wife stipulated a couple of things....No Ford, crew cab, snazzy color (prefers red), leather seats and she thinks that Ram is a sexy looking truck. So I am going to be buying a Ram 1500 Laramie with some horns and whistles. I must admit that after reading reviews from Car and Driver and a few others that this truck sounds awfully nice while some reviews from some forums report a tremendous number of problems. So I am seeking to educate myself to help me with my purchase decision. We do no towing and I can't think of why I would ever need 4 wheel drive so 8 cylinders and 4x4 are not really required but based on what I can learn from you owners they are certainly on the table. I am looking to learn a lot as I have always been a sedan guy and I had a bad experience with the F150. Given the very high price of these things I don't want to make another mistake. Looking forward to the experience.
Dont wait till the rebates and stock are gone, you'll have overpaid by $8-10K just like I did (bought a month early).
I’d advise you to buy now, get more options, up the trim level to Laramie at least (leather, heated and vented seats) and get the hemi. You always need to consider resale. Depending on how much winter you get, having 4wd could be a real boon.
DON’T MISS OUT ON THE SAVINGS! Read the 168+ page prices paid thread, starting from the last page.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dont wait till the rebates and stock are gone, you'll have overpaid by $8-10K just like I did (bought a month early).
I’d advise you to buy now, get more options, up the trim level to Laramie at least (leather, heated and vented seats) and get the hemi. You always need to consider resale. Depending on how much winter you get, having 4wd could be a real boon.
DON’T MISS OUT ON THE SAVINGS! Read the 168+ page prices paid thread, starting from the last page.
Good advice here in this post. Someday you may want to sell the truck. Get a 4x4 Laramie V8; it has just the right amount of bells and whistles and you can get a real good deal on them.

DavDini

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. Hoping to close a deal on a Longhorn this weekend. The only hangup is convincing my wife that 4x4 is not a maintenance concern. She had a bad experience with 4x4 in the past and is concerned that there is a lot of problems with them. Hopefully I can convince her otherwise. Having no experience with them myself makes it a little harder to make a convincing argument in their favor.

ppowell1983

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum and what part of Eastern Tennessee? My grandparents live in Dandridge TN and i visit a few times a year. The two things that are always worth the money when reselling a truck is 4x4 and V8. Although you may not need it, when you do sell it, you will get your money back or maybe even more than the dollars you put into the V8 and 4x4. The Hemi is only a 1,400 option. I am willing to bet you’ll get more than 1,400 in trade in value over a v6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would recommend the following - Either a Laramie or a Limited, 3.21 Axel, if you do mostly city driving e-torque might be worth it either V8 or the 6. If you carry passengers often the Pano Roof and the Level 1 group (amazing view out the roof, reclining, heated and cooled rear seats). *No Tow package* as this deletes the Birds eye camera views.

Welcome to the group!

DavDini

Reaction score
Took delivery of a Laramie Longhorn 4x4 today. Opted out of the pano roof and the E-torque but I did get a Hemi 8. This one has the big screen and the Harmon Kardon system. All in all a happy boy. Thanks to all of you guys for your advice and input.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Took delivery of a Laramie Longhorn 4x4 today. Opted out of the pano roof and the E-torque but I did get a Hemi 8. This one has the big screen and the Harmon Kardon system. All in all a happy boy. Thanks to all of you guys for your advice and input.

Congrats on your truck purchase. Don’t forget to apply for the $250 from bonusdrive.com.

What color did you get? Can you post some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavDini

Reaction score
Will post photos later. I got the Delmonico Red pearl with the tan leather interior. Thanks for the heads up on the bonus drive.com.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome. I've owned a few vehicles and I've learned to always get exactly what you want. 4x4 may not be something you use 95% of the time, but that 5% of the time you need it it's well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread