5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heater Not Working

DennisY

Reaction score
I'm in SoCal so haven't needed the heater until one or two mornings recently. I noticed that this season, my heater doesn't seem to be working. Even popping the setting up to say 85 degrees only results in just above "room temp." It worked fine last winter. Anyone have suggestions on what to check? If not, I'll take it in to the dealer.

DennisY

Reaction score
I don't know what that is. Doubting the dealer did it since I have not needed AC service.

Eagle7222

Reaction score
Did you do the "AC clamp hack"? Or maybe somebody else did it (dealer)?

I bought used and after 2 weeks of having the truck same issue...No Heater...It was the heater clamp hack but the local deal had no idea what it was for....A buddy knew right away why it would be there

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I bought used and after 2 weeks of having the truck same issue...No Heater...It was the heater clamp hack but the local deal had no idea what it was for....A buddy knew right away why it would be there
I wonder if your clamp was installed by the previous owner, or if the dealer did it. It wouldn't surprise me if the dealers start installing clamps, just as a band-aid fix. Then, when you make a claim that your heater doesn't work, they remove the clamp. Once your warranty runs out, it's your problem.

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
I don't know what that is. Doubting the dealer did it since I have not needed AC service.
Many of the 5th gen rams have an HVAC design flaw, that hinders the AC from blowing cold. A quick and dirty solution is to install a small clamp on the heater core hoses. If a dealer had a truck with the dreaded "crappy AC", they very well could have installed a clamp, just to get the truck sold. I would inspect your heater core hoses, and look for a clamp, or a valve that doesn't look factory.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm in SoCal so haven't needed the heater until one or two mornings recently. I noticed that this season, my heater doesn't seem to be working. Even popping the setting up to say 85 degrees only results in just above "room temp." It worked fine last winter. Anyone have suggestions on what to check? If not, I'll take it in to the dealer.

Hi DennisY,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck! If you do end up addressing this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

DennisY

Reaction score
Many of the 5th gen rams have an HVAC design flaw, that hinders the AC from blowing cold. A quick and dirty solution is to install a small clamp on the heater core hoses. If a dealer had a truck with the dreaded "crappy AC", they very well could have installed a clamp, just to get the truck sold. I would inspect your heater core hoses, and look for a clamp, or a valve that doesn't look factory.

Thank you, I will check that. I bought mine in August 2018, so if they already knew of the issue and did that, that speaks volumes.

DennisY

Reaction score
I wonder if your clamp was installed by the previous owner, or if the dealer did it. It wouldn't surprise me if the dealers start installing clamps, just as a band-aid fix. Then, when you make a claim that your heater doesn't work, they remove the clamp. Once your warranty runs out, it's your problem.

Thanks, no previous owner. 2019 model purchased in Aug 2018. If I find a clamp, or they fix the heater and then the AC doesn't work, well then, we have a problem.

DennisY

Reaction score
Hi DennisY,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck! If you do end up addressing this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Thank you. I am disappointed that I submitted an online request for a service appointment on Sunday (my local dealer does not have online scheduling. Say what?!) and have not heard back from them 48 hours later. This is Carl Burger Dodge in La Mesa, CA. I will phone them on Wednesday letting them know of my disappointment and to make the appointment. It's 2019. They should do better than this.

Eagle7222

Reaction score
Thank you. I am disappointed that I submitted an online request for a service appointment on Sunday (my local dealer does not have online scheduling. Say what?!) and have not heard back from them 48 hours later. This is Carl Burger Dodge in La Mesa, CA. I will phone them on Wednesday letting them know of my disappointment and to make the appointment. It's 2019. They should do better than this.
Truck was delivered to me from GA to NC. Dealer here said warranty wouldn't cover as it wasn't factory installed. $164 to fix it. Dealer in GA sent me a check to cover it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi DennisY,

I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, as your sentiments expressed here are completely understandable. If you would like an additional layer of support for the appointment, please feel free to follow up with me via private message.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread