5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heated steering wheel..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not criticizing them. I'm saying it's something that can be done

As far as warranty. Changing that one setting will not cause any issues. If they mess up the truck doing other things, that's on them
Agreed, it would be on them. I suspect that's why some guys don't want to risk it. I've never used alphaobd, so I can't speak to how easy that is to set up. But having a switch that gives you different heat levels from the factory would eliminate that risk. There's nothing wrong with having a wish list.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agreed, it would be on them. I suspect that's why some guys don't want to risk it. I've never used alphaobd, so I can't speak to how easy that is to set up. But having a switch that gives you different heat levels from the factory would eliminate that risk. There's nothing wrong with having a wish list.

I was a little freaked out when I did my first change with AlfaOBD, especially since my truck was a week old. My first attempt using written instructions wasn't successful. I almost gave up on it, but a member on this forum shot a video to help me with the steps. After watching the video, it was easy. I've now done 4 changes and I'm comfortable that I'm not going to brick my truck, but I'm still not proficient.

A wish list is nice, but unless that wish list has AlfaOBD on it, you're not getting adjustable steering wheel heat. 🤣

Dewey

Reaction score
I wish someone would make an iOS version of AlfaOBD.
100%
Everything I own is iOS. I could buy a cheap tablet but offering for iOS would be much more convenient.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish someone would make an iOS version of AlfaOBD.

100%
Everything I own is iOS. I could buy a cheap tablet but offering for iOS would be much more convenient.
There is- Jscan
Their main focus before were the wranglers/gladiators, but they’ve been adding more support for the Rams lately. In some ways, it’s more capable than AlfaOBD, but unfortunately, the heated wheel levels is one setting they don’t have yet.
The developers are very receptive, and regularly do updates adding requested settings features.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is "available" to turn on. If you aren't comfortable using alfaObd to turn it on yourself, then the shouldn't be any reason to complain about not having it
c'mon...really? the point is there is NO factory adjustment without using an aftermarket product, that most people do not have.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
c'mon...really? the point is there is NO factory adjustment without using an aftermarket product, that most people do not have.
And nothing is going to change that in trucks already built. So complaining about not having it on your current vehicle, when there is a viable solution, is pointless.

It would be like complaining because your BigHorn with the ORP doesn't have the same 33" tires the Rebel has. Except it's cheaper to turn on the multi-level heated steering wheel than it is to buy new tires.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually, people complaining about stuff is a big part of car forums. While not usually productive, it can be a great source of entertainment. 🍻

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And nothing is going to change that in trucks already built. So complaining about not having it on your current vehicle, when there is a viable solution, is pointless.

It would be like complaining because your BigHorn with the ORP doesn't have the same 33" tires the Rebel has. Except it's cheaper to turn on the multi-level heated steering wheel than it is to buy new tires.
are you for real? excuse me...This forum is FULL of complaints...you new here? I CAN complain about a shortcoming by the factory, and I might add...it's the complaining that gets manufacturers to make changes! Back in the day, guys like you would say, " what are you complaining about there is no FM radio in your car?....you just need to buy an FM Tuner and it solves the problem"....good thing car makers weren't listening to you! sheesh....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
are you for real? excuse me...This forum is FULL of complaints...you new here? I CAN complain about a shortcoming by the factory, and I might add...it's the complaining that gets manufacturers to make changes! sheesh....
Yep, total newb. That's why I'm a site moderator. They always give that to the newest members.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
An aftermarket product?
What is aftermarket?

You're basically complaining that it takes an aftrermarket code reader, to read ecu codes since you don't have a readout on your radio.

Alfaodb is just an app on Android you can download and use to make OEM adjustments on YOUR existing truck. I would say that around 50% of people have an Android phone, so I guess that means most people don't have it...

I can plug my stuff into anyone's Ram and enable it and leave. I don't need to install anything and leave it there
are you for real? excuse me...This forum is FULL of complaints...you new here? I CAN complain about a shortcoming by the factory, and I might add...it's the complaining that gets manufacturers to make changes!
You complain but you have an answer right in front of you. You complain about shortcoming from the factory, but maybe there are more people that would rather just on or off.
Why not complain about an actual issue that doesn't have a resolution like how the Rambox lids warp after a month or 2 of ownership?

I can 100% assure you that Ram is not reading your post online thinking "wow we should change this because someone online on a random website complained"
It already is an OEM feature, you just need to enable it. Not our fault you don't want to. HSKR already gave you a ton of examples

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An aftermarket product?
What is aftermarket?
wow...you ARE green!:oops: The software, security gateway module, etc are ALL Aftermarket, ( Aftermarket: anything not OEM)..... It would have taken FCA a nano-second in developement to add an adjustment for the steering wheel, to the Interface screen....but they must have figured on guys like you, and decided to save the .50 cents per truck instead....:ROFLMAO:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
wow...you ARE green!:oops: The software, security gateway module, etc are ALL Aftermarket, ( Aftermarket: anything not OEM)..... It would have taken FCA a nano-second in developement to add an adjustment for the steering wheel, to the Interface screen....but they must have figured on guys like you, and decided to save the .50 cents per truck instead....:ROFLMAO:
Wow you make a good point.
FCA are real jerks.
They made me buy tools to be able to replace my worn tires. I don't understand why I can't have tool less lug nut removal
Those jerks also put a screw on really hard for me to drain my oil, they should of put one of those flip valves on there so I wouldn't need to buy anything "aftermarket" to do it.
I wanted to replace my air intake with a new OEM filter, but I can't do it either because FCA didn't include a screw driver, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm only buying direct from China at this point as I just can't handle life.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow you make a good point.
FCA are real jerks.
They made me buy tools to be able to replace my worn tires. I don't understand why I can't have tool less lug nut removal
Those jerks also put a screw on really hard for me to drain my oil, they should of put one of those flip valves on there so I wouldn't need to buy anything "aftermarket" to do it.
I wanted to replace my air intake with a new OEM filter, but I can't do it either because FCA didn't include a screw driver, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm only buying direct from China at this point as I just can't handle life.
apples to oranges....sorry, but fail...

bucolic

Reaction score
I have found that in most cases of "Why the heck did the engineers or designers do that?" there is a valid reason behind it. We may not agree with it but as much as we like to poke fun and say "that engineer isn't too bright" these are intelligent people and I am sure that we here on an internet forum don't have the engineers going "Duh! Why didn't we think of adding a 3-position heat level switch for the heated wheel? Boy, we need to step up our game." I am also sure they have some brilliant ideas that will never get implemented due to corporate and governmental red tape.

Most likely this was discussed in detail and probably other ideas as well. Why not a rheostat on the heated seats for infinite heat control instead of only 3 settings? Pretty sure that was probably discussed back in the 90's and there is a pretty good reason for not doing it. If we had a chance to sit down with them they would explain why they don't do certain things that seem so simple and WE here on the forum would go "oh ok...I never thought of that."

The assumption we all go to, myself included, is it was a cost-saving measure or no one else really offers it so why waste the money on it? More than likely though there is more to it than that and I think it's a safe bet that it was discussed in detail at some point at Ram/Dodge.

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
Except they didn't make you buy those tools. They included the tools you need to change your tire.
In the case of the heated steering wheel in question they didn't.
Apparently, according to some in this thread, they did include the option in the truck but you have to go buy (or borrow) a fairly expensive item to access it.

Dewey

Reaction score
It’s funny when I see people debating about heated seats and steering wheels. When my first truck had both in 2013 I laughed and thought what kinda wienie needs this stuff? Now it’s a necessity. How did we ever survive.😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Except they didn't make you buy those tools. They included the tools you need to change your tire.
Apparently, according to some in this thread, they did include the option in the truck but you have to go buy (or borrow) a fairly expensive item to access it.
What do you consider "fairly expensive"?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread brings me right back to the raptor forums where there are multiple arguments being hashed out in one thread. Very entertaining.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They provided a torque wrench or an impact wrench and torsion bars?
I must of lost the ones that came with my truck.
What do you consider "fairly expensive"?
I wonder what the train of thought it also, where is the line drawn?
Buys a new (2019+) truck costing thousands of dollars.
Doesn't want to spend $50+$20+$15=$85 to gain access to almost all the electronics inside the truck, with the ability to retain access to features if they ever purchase another vehicle of the same brand.

I can open my damn Ramboxes with my phone if I really wanted to because not only are the locks tied in with the locking system, there is a door latch that can be triggered electroniclly. Without these "aftermarket" items I would need to actually push the button to open it but you don't see me complaining they didn't put switches inside the truck next to the remote tailgate open for each Rambox since it's already an OEM features but not "enabled by default"

Users who are viewing this thread