5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel upgrade

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does get too hot. One of the review magazines noted this too. Think these RAMs were some of the hottest ever tested. I appreciate how quickly it heats up, but man... not comfortable to hold after about 10 minutes and I have to shut it off which I also don't want to do. They were smart enough to put in 3 levels of seat heat/cooling... no reason they couldn't have done it with the wheel too (wife's Volvo has 3 levels).

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I agree it almost gets too hot.
I just alter my grip. It is great when I am outside freezing and get in and “grasp it FIRMLY.”

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tested mine today using an infrared thermometer and at the bottom it was a hundred degrees and at the top it was about 90. But where my hands normally grip it was about 80. I have a big horn with the leather wrap steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

_StangPGH

Reaction score
When it gets to warm simply turn it off, lol. It holds heat quite a while and will not cool off to an uncomfortable point with the cabin up to temp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy crap...if there's one option that puts a smile on my face it's the heated wheel...never had one, now it's a must-have forever. I'm in New England so it comes in handy. The heated seats I can do without, but not the heated wheel.

Krootz

Reaction score
I’m embarrassed for you all. I felt like a sissy just having a steering wheel heater on my truck...oh well it came with it.

The steering wheel gets too hot??

I got some sh!t I could complain about, but this ain’t one of em

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m embarrassed for you all. I felt like a sissy just having a steering wheel heater on my truck...oh well it came with it.

Lol, I felt the same not too long ago until I used it.

Try it on a cold winter day, it will literally open up the skys and the Sun will come out, Angels singing and you crying in happiness. Trust me.

Last edited:

Krootz

Reaction score
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it’s there for my wife when she drives it. I just don’t feel the need for “hand warmers” on my steering wheel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

If using and liking a heated steering wheel makes me a sissy in your book, then so be it. :ROFLMAO: I'm not ashamed to say I like to be comfortable when I drive. The heated wheel just takes the edge off on those cold winter mornings, and I usually shut it off as soon as the cab warms up.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
like others have said, I shut it off the minute I get into the truck. IMO, it's not something i would drive around with on...once the cabin is warmed up, and the steering wheel is warm, it's done it's job. Same with heated seats for me...I never drive around with them on, just as soon as the seat is warm, off it goes. Can't see anything to complain about honestly.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 28 degrees here in Michigan today...call me a sissy. Will never buy a truck again without heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel...or sunroof.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but does anybody know the settings in AlfaOBD to turn on heated seats and heated steering wheel plus the functions in uconnect?

Last edited:

brental1

Reaction score
Anyone updated to a heated steering wheel? I bought a wheel that has the option. I know you have to change some parts behind the wheel but I don’t have a button on my dash. Do you need to add the button or can you activate in the 8.4 touch screen?
I think it requires a different clock spring. Anyone have the Part Number?

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I think it requires a different clock spring. Anyone have the Part Number?
you definitely need a new clock spring. Here is the one I got and I think it has been replaced with "AB" 68545657AA. I have a TRX and this is the part # for it. Confirm it works on models other than the TRX before buying.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Hey guys I took the temperature of the Steering wheel and it hit 122.8 degrees F. Sorry man that is just too hot. There needs to be a fix. I had it checked out at the Dodge dealership and they say there is nothing they can do there is no software update either. So It is the same as trying to walk back to your lounger chair in Las Vegas in the middle of August. Your feet burn real quick..... this the same feeling With my hands it has to be shut of, there is no Low, medium And high settings like the seats. It is just scorching hot or off! Has anyone Else have this issue other than the two here who have posted, thanks in advance, all.
Yep, i love it but sure wish it had multiple selectable levels. Hoping for a software update, but it may take a resistor circuit to enable that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn’t Alfa allow you to select different levels for the steering wheels heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread