5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel upgrade

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn’t Alfa allow you to select different levels for the steering wheels heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What I have found is with PR40.1 on UC4, I have lost my hi/med/low steering wheel heat and just have on/off now.

brental1

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but does anybody know the settings in AlfaOBD to turn on heated seats and heated steering wheel plus the functions in uconnect?
Not a direct answer; but after I added all the numerous wires and changed the center stack to one that had heated/vented seat switches and heated steering wheel switch, these hard buttons worked without any programming. Heated seats and steering wheel work and vented seats work. There are no soft buttons present on the screen--but I think I can live forever with just the hard buttons.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Not a direct answer; but after I added all the numerous wires and changed the center stack to one that had heated/vented seat switches and heated steering wheel switch, these hard buttons worked without any programming. Heated seats and steering wheel work and vented seats work. There are no soft buttons present on the screen--but I think I can live forever with just the hard buttons.
do your seats and wheel turn on with remote start when it’s below 40 degrees out? If not you can enable that with the settings in AlpaOBD. I do know all the settings now. I’m installing the 2nd wiring harness I made today and hoping to finally have these working.

brental1

Reaction score
do your seats and wheel turn on with remote start when it’s below 40 degrees out? If not you can enable that with the settings in AlpaOBD. I do know all the settings now. I’m installing the 2nd wiring harness I made today and hoping to finally have these working.
I don't have remote start (yet); but the seats and wheel do automatically turn on when it's cold. I haven't associated the turning on with a temperature; but 40 sounds right. I didn't have to do any programming for that to happen.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I don't have remote start (yet); but the seats and wheel do automatically turn on when it's cold. I haven't associated the turning on with a temperature; but 40 sounds right. I didn't have to do any programming for that to happen.
interesting, I wonder if that is the default and adding the programming is basically just giving you the ability to turn it off. In the settings on the screen you can have it not turn the seats and steering wheel on at all, on every start, or just with remote start.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
for anybody following this thread. It has been done previously and I just completed adding the heated seats and steering wheel to my truck. It appears that year and trim level might differ on how much is needed to get it accomplished. For my truck (21 trx level 0) I only had to add 12 wires and change settings with AlfaOBD.

Last edited:

2024_Ram_2500

Reaction score
for anybody following this thread. It has been done previously and I just completed adding the heated seats and steering wheel to my truck. It appears that year and trim level might differ on how much is needed to get it accomplished. For my truck (21 trx level 0) I only had to add 12 wires and change settings with AlfaOBD.
What was part number for steering wheel? I've found several that fit my 2024 but none heated.

2024_Ram_2500

Reaction score
I used 5YK683X7AG for my 2022 1500 BH (DT--true 5th Gen)--agree that it may not work for 4.5 Gen. Sales code is NHS for Heated Steering Wheel.
Appreciate the replies. I'll call dealership and see.
What are the chances of already having the correct wiring harnesses for the heated wheel and seats?

brental1

Reaction score
What are the chances of already having the correct wiring harnesses for the heated wheel and seats?
From what I've read, pretty good chance on the 2500, 4.5 Gen. On my truck, 2022 1500 BH with Level 1 Equipment Group, I had to add around 30 wires for heat/vent seats and heated steering wheel.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
you might have to still change the clock spring. Did you swap out the seats? The module that turns on the seats and steering wheel is under the passenger heated seat.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of the HD Rams already have all body and dash wiring present for front power, heated/ventilated seats, memory seats and pedals. You’ll definitely need a new clock spring for the heated wheel. You need to be careful on part selection if buying used because you can only use clock spring, steering wheel, and seats from 2023-2024 HD Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread