5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel Temp

Ruger

Reaction score
I had my 23 Laramie at the dealer for a different issue yesterday and told them to check my steering wheel heater and seats because they didn’t seem as hot as when I picked up my truck in Jan. The tech used a thermal imager and check the setting and said everything was working as fine and as designed. He also told me that the control heat is linked to an ambient temp sensor which makes sense because on real cold days (that’s high teens and 20’s for me) it is hot as hell!! But if its in the 50s its hot for a few minutes then warm at best. We have big temperature swings here in east TN and the heated steering wheel temp has really changed.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had my 23 Laramie at the dealer for a different issue yesterday and told them to check my steering wheel heater and seats because they didn’t seem as hot as when I picked up my truck in Jan. The tech used a thermal imager and check the setting and said everything was working as fine and as designed. He also told me that the control heat is linked to an ambient temp sensor which makes sense because on real cold days (that’s high teens and 20’s for me) it is hot as hell!! But if its in the 50s its hot for a few minutes then warm at best. We have big temperature swings here in east TN and the heated steering wheel temp has really changed.
I can confirm that. In the past with -20 temps my steering wheels and heated seats got too hot to handle after about 10 min. Warmer outside temps and not nearly as warm heating up. Turned on in the summer I barely feel them.

mcat79

Reaction score
alright, let me know if that works and the kind of problem you run into after doing it. I'll wait it out in the meantime lol.
I finally got around to testing the “reset ecu”, and unfortunately it did not change anything. After the reset I tried to change it back and forth again but also no luck. I’d love to hear if anyone finds a solution to this!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got around to testing the “reset ecu”, and unfortunately it did not change anything. After the reset I tried to change it back and forth again but also no luck. I’d love to hear if anyone finds a solution to this!
You can’t change it back because the original setting was “not defined”, and that’s not a selection in the list. If you want it changed back, send me your current backup file, and what the other 3 Seats A settings are, and I’ll tell you what value in your backup file to change and restore your configuration to that modified backup file.

mcat79

Reaction score
You can’t change it back because the original setting was “not defined”, and that’s not a selection in the list. If you want it changed back, send me your current backup file, and what the other 3 Seats A settings are, and I’ll tell you what value in your backup file to change and restore your configuration to that modified backup file.
That would make sense! I’ll pull the backup file and send it, thanks! I feel like this is something that could be added to Alfaobd, right? An option of “not defined”

diesel9859

Reaction score
I was able to activate a med setting in my truck using AlfaOBD. Now I have lo-Med-Hi. If it was an option, I would have just set it to lo/med because hot is always just too damn hot.
I'm having a issue with my heated wheel, if I turn it on manually, how long should it stay on? Because sometimes it won't turn on.. just had it at dealer for 2 months for two issues and steering heat was one. They just changed the control mondule... now it kinda works when it wants, thx

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having a issue with my heated wheel, if I turn it on manually, how long should it stay on? Because sometimes it won't turn on.. just had it at dealer for 2 months for two issues and steering heat was one. They just changed the control mondule... now it kinda works when it wants, thx
Should come on and stay on until you turn it off.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to activate a med setting in my truck using AlfaOBD. Now I have lo-Med-Hi. If it was an option, I would have just set it to lo/med because hot is always just too damn hot.
can you tell me step by step how to do this? i have the components orderes and purchased the alphaobd software but i could benefit from this. thank u in advance for any help

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
can you tell me step by step how to do this? i have the components orderes and purchased the alphaobd software but i could benefit from this. thank u in advance for any help

Save you BCM config file (not just the logs) to restore if you don't like it. It currently can't be undone unless the raw file is restored*.

*standard disclaimer - "By the average AlfaOBD user."

U

User_119824

Mine works fine here in Houston.

60ish degree mornings and after about 5 minutes it's like holding hot coal. It won't shut off unless I manually turn it off. My heated seats also work as human crock pots so there's that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/