5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Steering Wheel Temp

RankinX

Reaction score
There is so many things that we can do with alfaobd, on my truck i only had the ON/OFF for the steering wheel. I'll def try to enable the 3 levels.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your limited doesn’t have this steering wheel?
View attachment 147700
View attachment 147701
It does.
No wood in it but the build sheet labels it as a wood steering wheel.
I believe they might be referring to the plastic inserts as sythentic wood as that's what GM called it.

If the build sheet calls it leather/wood and the bcm calls it leather/wood I would believe to be correct.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It does.
No wood in it but the build sheet labels it as a wood steering wheel.
I beliebe they might be referring to the plastic inserts as sythentic wood as that's what GM called it.

If the build sheet calls it leather/wood and the bcm calls it peather/wood I would believe to be correct.
Yeah, that’s Ram’s wood/leather steering wheel. The top half is the wood laminate. Same basic wood/leather wheel design they’ve been using since 2013:
635C3AF7-012C-4299-9E9B-F1B9A134E213.jpeg

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score
How do I get into alfaodb? And is it worth trying for a dolt or could I F something up? My heated wheel doesn't get nearly hot enough. My seats and wheel in my 2022 BackCountry do not get nearly as hot as my 2015 Outdoorsman

jgmac98

Reaction score
I've had my 2022 1500 for a year now and only this winter i figured out that if I use the remote starter in cold weather my steering wheel gets really hot and stays hot. If I start the truck normally and turn the heated steering wheel on it doesn't get near as warm... Something in the remote start programming must be triggering to high but the button only goes to low?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How do I get into alfaodb? And is it worth trying for a dolt or could I F something up? My heated wheel doesn't get nearly hot enough. My seats and wheel in my 2022 BackCountry do not get nearly as hot as my 2015 Outdoorsman
There are a bunch of threads about it.
It's just an app that you connect to an odb2 reader with a cheap security bypass module (plastic module or cables).

You could screw something up if you hit stuff you don't understand or know about but it doesn't break anything on it's own. It just gives you access to change parameters and enable\disable features.

RankinX

Reaction score
I've enabled the 3 levels of heat for the steering wheel on my sport 2022 with the 12inch screen with alfaobd.

The icon stays the same on each press, I was expecting to visually see all 3 different levels on the icon, that is a normal behavior? It kinda bugs me that I can't be sure if it is maxing the heat or not.

I left it overnight and perhaps the icon might have changed in the morning, but you guys have the icon behave like that too on uconnect 5?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've enabled the 3 levels of heat for the steering wheel on my sport 2022 with the 12inch screen with alfaobd.

The icon stays the same on each press, I was expecting to visually see all 3 different levels on the icon, that is a normal behavior? It kinda bugs me that I can't be sure if it is maxing the heat or not.

I left it overnight and perhaps the icon might have changed in the morning, but you guys have the icon behave like that too on uconnect 5?
I stated earlier the icon does not change on UC5 (2022s)
Normal behavior is just on and off :p

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's just how it works, since 3-levels was never a factory option

RankinX

Reaction score
Hey guys, i had changed the heated steering wheel setting to have the 3 levels, however, i don't like that the icon stays the same through all heating level. I wanted to change the setting back to it's default setting, i have "default", "High-low-off", "high-med-low-off".

Even with default deselected, it still takes a few press to turn it off, like there is no option to make it on-off like it used to be. Does anyone know how to fix that?

* i lost the backup i made before making changes to my truck. ( didn't keep my backup after a failed phone update and had to reset )

On a side note not related to this, i had the performance and off page show up on my truck after i reset my Uconnect 5 12inch system and they vanished after turning off and on the truck. I thought they would stick this time since i never had them come up on the 12 in screen, only the small evic one. I was happy for a sec. Don"t know why they won't stick, it's all enabled through alfaodb.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, i had changed the heated steering wheel setting to have the 3 levels, however, i don't like that the icon stays the same through all heating level. I wanted to change the setting back to it's default setting, i have "default", "High-low-off", "high-med-low-off".

Even with default deselected, it still takes a few press to turn it off, like there is no option to make it on-off like it used to be. Does anyone know how to fix that?

* i lost the backup i made before making changes to my truck. ( didn't keep my backup after a failed phone update and had to reset )

On a side note not related to this, i had the performance and off page show up on my truck after i reset my Uconnect 5 12inch system and they vanished after turning off and on the truck. I thought they would stick this time since i never had them come up on the 12 in screen, only the small evic one. I was happy for a sec. Don"t know why they won't stick, it's all enabled through alfaodb.
This reminded me that before I needed my steering wheel heated for practical reasons, cold ambient temperature, I changed the setting to the three level option.
I thought it sounded like a good idea, but it didn't work well for me.
After selecting the winning settings below, I tested it in cold temperatures and found that it worked very well. At first, I was skeptical because it got pretty warm, but then after about (guessing from memory, I left my stopwatch at home) 10 minutes, the temperature decreased to a comfortable warm-enough level. And the icon works in the on/off fashion. I like it and I'm leaving it there.

Loser settings:
  • Heated Wheel Material Type: Full Leather
  • Heated Wheel Levels: 3 Level (High / Med / Low / Off)
Winner settings:
  • Heated Wheel Material Type: Full Leather
  • Heated Wheel Levels: 2 Level (High / Low / Off)
These are the factory provided settings that I never tried because I bought the truck in July '22 and my wheel isn't wood and leather:
  • Heated Wheel Material Type: Wood/Leather
  • Heated Wheel Levels: Not defined

I had the same exact experience with the Performance and Off-road pages. I have them in the EVIC, but they disappeared from UC5 after a recent update to 26. I never used them anyway so whatever. 😏

Last edited:

mcat79

Reaction score

I’m having the same issue as you, where I can’t get it back to the original on/off even if I revert to “default”. I’ve been talking with Alfaobd support and the suggestion is to do a “reset ecu” from within Alfaobd. I haven’t been able to do it yet, but that is my next step.

RankinX

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue as you, where I can’t get it back to the original on/off even if I revert to “default”. I’ve been talking with Alfaobd support and the suggestion is to do a “reset ecu” from within Alfaobd. I haven’t been able to do it yet, but that is my next step.
alright, let me know if that works and the kind of problem you run into after doing it. I'll wait it out in the meantime lol.

dieldrin

Reaction score
I measured steering wheel temps on my 2021 Laramie, after warming up 15 minutes with 36* ambient temp:
The temp varied across the wheel.
The outside edge of the wheel is warmest especially just above the cruise control buttons @ 120*
Most of the rest of the outside edge of the wheel was 90* to 100*, warmer on the right side.
The inside edge was coolest at about 70* to 85*

I used a Klein Laser IR Thermometer.

Florotory

Reaction score
I experienced the same effect on my HD when I enabled the lo/med/hi option. The icon also doesn't change between them like it does for the seats and I had to open it from the apps screen to turn it off.
Did you have any issues with the heated steering wheel turning on for about 2-3 seconds then turning back off? Ever since i changed the setting in alfaobd it won't consistently work. I tried to load the original file and still no luck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you have any issues with the heated steering wheel turning on for about 2-3 seconds then turning back off? Ever since i changed the setting in alfaobd it won't consistently work. I tried to load the original file and still no luck.

No. no issues other than it's now stuck with the 3-steps.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine, where the wood is gets hot, but bearable.. the leather portions are too hot to be comfortable. I usually let mine turn on with the truck, then shut it off a few minutes later.

Users who are viewing this thread