5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlights NEVER turn off

Wedgeajt

Reaction score
Check your settings for Daytime Running Lights. The DRL, when on, has the full headlights on.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
Hi riddickj,

I definitely understand why this would be concerning! If this continues to occur, I recommend following up with your dealer. If you do end up having to work with them, please know that we are just a private message away and happy to provide additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares
Hi RamCares,
What combination of settings will turn off the headlights while parked?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2008 Big Horn did this. Turned out to be the connector to the light switch was loose.
The Computer didn't find the switch circuitry, so it defaulted to turning the lights on.

Malodave

BeastyRam2500

Reaction score
Before the questions arise:
-Yes, I turned off Day time running lights in my settings
- Yes, I turned the headlight knob to off

Even when the knob is off the headlights still stay on? Anyone else have this issue before?

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you ever get this figured out? Here is my dilemma:

Just bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Outdoorsman 6.7 Diesel with 170k Miles, runs like a champ. The only problem that I have is that the Headlights come on, and remain on ALL THE TIME while running. They do turn off when the engine is off, so no dead battery issues.
I thought that the Headlight Control module might be bad so I replaced with an aftermarket (non OEM) module and no effect. I also noticed that when I removed the plug from the module that the lights continued to work.
The dimmer control does not work, the foglight switch and foglights do not work, and the bed light switch does not work. The bed lights do come on when I click the unlock button, and shut off when I start the truck. So all functions work, I just cannot control them because they are always on.
Also, the truck came with Auto retracting running boards with the control module plugged into the OBD Scanner port under the steering wheel (I presume that this is how it gets its signal to extend and retract).
So everything works, but I cannot turn my lights off and it is driving me crazy.
I am thinking that when the previous owner installed the running boards, the unit that is plugged into the OBD port threw some weird code that messed with the lighting logic? I do not see any other modified wiring or circuitry. And like I said, when I unplug the Headlight Module, it has absolutely no effect, the lights stay on.
Please, someone help me with this. I pride myself in doing all of my own work and have NEVER brought my car(s) into the shop and don't want to start now.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Outdoorsman 6.7 Diesel with 170k Miles, runs like a champ. The only problem that I have is that the Headlights come on, and remain on ALL THE TIME while running. They do turn off when the engine is off, so no dead battery issues.
I thought that the Headlight Control module might be bad so I replaced with an aftermarket (non OEM) module and no effect. I also noticed that when I removed the plug from the module that the lights continued to work.
The dimmer control does not work, the foglight switch and foglights do not work, and the bed light switch does not work. The bed lights do come on when I click the unlock button, and shut off when I start the truck. So all functions work, I just cannot control them because they are always on.
Also, the truck came with Auto retracting running boards with the control module plugged into the OBD Scanner port under the steering wheel (I presume that this is how it gets its signal to extend and retract).
So everything works, but I cannot turn my lights off and it is driving me crazy.
I am thinking that when the previous owner installed the running boards, the unit that is plugged into the OBD port threw some weird code that messed with the lighting logic? I do not see any other modified wiring or circuitry. And like I said, when I unplug the Headlight Module, it has absolutely no effect, the lights stay on.
Please, someone help me with this. I pride myself in doing all of my own work and have NEVER brought my car(s) into the shop and don't want to start now.
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, waiting for several minutes, then reconnecting?

Also, need a description of your vehicle (trim line, engine, etc.).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050242 miles.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You might have better luck with an answer at our other site HDRams .

Users who are viewing this thread