5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headlight problems

qAnth0ny

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 crashed from auction, and fixed all the body work that it needed, as there was nothing mechanically wrong with the truck. However, since the very first day, I’ve had issues with the headlights. Sometimes the headlights will turn on and work properly, then sometimes it won’t, or only the high beams work and not the blinkers, and I took it to a shop that I know and they changed the connector on one side of the truck and it worked fine for about three days, now the other headlight won’t turn on at all, just the high beams. I haven’t taken it to a dealership yet, and I really don’t want to take it unless absolutely necessary.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
What type of headlight assembly do you have?
Perhaps some pictures of the damage and the lights would help...
WE CAN'T TELL WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS TRUCK WITHOUT THESE DETAILS.

qAnth0ny

Reaction score
What type of headlight assembly do you have?
Perhaps some pictures of the damage and the lights would help...
WE CAN'T TELL WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS TRUCK WITHOUT THESE DETAILS.
Here’s some pictures of the damage, the lights and how the truck looked after all the body work was done to it. Sorry, I’m new to the forums stuff lol

Attachments

• 4ADD1BF6-C8A1-4F9C-9A98-EDD19F66936A.jpeg
    4ADD1BF6-C8A1-4F9C-9A98-EDD19F66936A.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 39465707-F582-447B-8D5E-74D61516C2FB.jpeg
    39465707-F582-447B-8D5E-74D61516C2FB.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 89
  • CF3E9665-274E-42A7-8C72-45FC56B800D9.jpeg
    CF3E9665-274E-42A7-8C72-45FC56B800D9.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 90
  • BA4429EE-257A-48DA-BE89-3C5CB42EBAD0.jpeg
    BA4429EE-257A-48DA-BE89-3C5CB42EBAD0.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 91

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So if a new connector fixed one side, maybe it'll fix the other one too...
I don't see anything that will suggest that the connector is damaged but you can never know... Sometimes the impact messes up a lot of thing you don't even think about...
BTW, who did the body work on your truck?

qAnth0ny

Reaction score
So if a new connector fixed one side, maybe it'll fix the other one too...
I don't see anything that will suggest that the connector is damaged but you can never know... Sometimes the impact messes up a lot of thing you don't even think about...
BTW, who did the body work on your truck?
I have a long time friend who has his own body shop, and there was a little small nip in the wiring that led to the shop I took it to want to replace the connector altogether, and it didn’t actually make a difference, the light still has issues, sometimes the blinker won’t work and sometimes the high beam won’t work, or it won’t work at all

Attachments

• 6D68DEFE-3964-400E-A2C3-8732E57E7FD7.jpeg
    6D68DEFE-3964-400E-A2C3-8732E57E7FD7.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 39

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have a long time friend who has his own body shop, and there was a little small nip in the wiring that led to the shop I took it to want to replace the connector altogether, and it didn’t actually make a difference, the light still has issues, sometimes the blinker won’t work and sometimes the high beam won’t work, or it won’t work at all
If it work intermittently, I'd say it's not the connector... It's more complicated than that... Maybe a BUS issue(Computer)...
Maybe @Jimmy07 can help you pinpoint to the right module that control the headlights...

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at that damage, it's quite possible a wire was pinched somewhere. That could lead to an intermittent connection, whether losing power or ground. I would suggest obtaining a factory wiring diagram, and tracing the associated circuits. Yes, it is a lot of work, but it is ultimately the most thorough solution. And once you eliminate what the problem isn't, the area causing your trouble should become more evident. Good luck!

Reaction score
Based on the information provided, it seems like there may be electrical issues with the headlights of your 2020 Ram 1500. It's possible that the crash damage or the repairs made afterwards have affected the wiring or connectors related to the headlights.

Since you have already visited a shop and they changed the connector on one side, it's likely that there is a problem with the other side's connector or wiring. If the issue persists and the other headlight is not turning on at all, it might be necessary to take it to a dealership or a professional mechanic to diagnose and fix the problem.

Dealerships often have specialized knowledge and access to specific diagnostics tools and software for your vehicle, which can help in identifying and resolving the issue. They may be able to provide a more accurate diagnosis and offer the best solution to get your headlights working properly again.

While it's understandable that you may want to avoid dealership costs, it's important to ensure your safety on the road, especially when it comes to essential components like headlights. Therefore, if the issue persists or worsens, it is advisable to take it to a dealership or a trusted mechanic for a thorough inspection and repair. For more information check out dodge ram headlight problems.

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An aftermarket Tail Light for my '21 1500 Laramie had the crimps in the connector pushed back that they were
making intermitant contact for the Blind Spot Sensor. This was screwing with everything on that CANBUS. I had to
take the connector apart to re-seat the crimps. This fixed the problem I was having.

Read my post and a few more in this thread:

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread