5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

headlight fuse for ambient lighting?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it looks like the description for that says overhead console and heads up display, switch 911, switch assist, or maybe im looking at an incorrect chart?
You are probably correct, I’m going off of memory since I’m not in front of a computer anymore. Earlier today, I was messing around under the steering column of my truck and that is the two fuse slots are used for the parking feature on my dash cams.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I stated in the other thread - simply tapping your power wire for your LED lights onto the headlight power wire will accomplish what you're wanting. They will only come on when your headlights kick on. Very easy to do. I don't believe there is a headlight fuse on the interior fuse box, but I could be wrong.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I stated in the other thread - simply tapping your power wire for your LED lights onto the headlight power wire will accomplish what you're wanting. They will only come on when your headlights kick on. Very easy to do. I don't believe there is a headlight fuse on the interior fuse box, but I could be wrong.
It’s probably not that simple. There are separate wiring for low and high beam, meaning he’ll lose interior ambient lighting when he switches to high beam or not have it when he switches to low beam. Some food for thought.

Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
May I suggest keeping them on a separate circuit for ease of wiring, but use one of the homelink buttons for a clean look? Check out this writeup. It wasn't mine, but I really like the idea.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s probably not that simple. There are separate wiring for low and high beam, meaning he’ll lose interior ambient lighting when he switches to high beam or not have it when he switches to low beam. Some food for thought.
What? That made no sense lol. The low beams aren't turning off when you activate your high beams? Don't tap into the high beam power wire, but I don't believe that is at the headlight knob.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What? That made no sense lol. The low beams aren't turning off when you activate your high beams? Don't tap into the high beam power wire, but I don't believe that is at the headlight knob.
Take a look at the wiring diagram, and it’s not common for low and high beams to be on at the same time.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take a look at the wiring diagram, and it’s not common for low and high beams to be on at the same time.
IDK how common it is, I've never seen a vehicle that shuts off the low beams when you activate the high beams. Our trucks certainly do not do that. The fog lights, yes. Those are cut off when you hit the high beams. Either way - I'm just telling you what will work. Whether you want to go your own route and make it more complicated, that's up to you lol

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@bnh105 Firemedic’s passive-aggressiveness aside, check your truck to see whether low and high beam stay on. I don’t have access to a limited to check if there’s low beam dropout. If they do stay on, you’re good to tap into those low beam wires, but if it were me, I’d still check the lo beam voltage to see if it stays at 12v+ DC when high beams turn on.
I also don’t know if your DRL‘s will run the low beam (mine do on the laramie). If so, you’ll have to take that into account.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@bnh105 Firemedic’s passive-aggressiveness aside, check your truck to see whether low and high beam stay on. I don’t have access to a limited to check if there’s low beam dropout. If they do stay on, you’re good to tap into those low beam wires, but if it were me, I’d still check the lo beam voltage to see if it stays at 12v+ DC when high beams turn on.
I also don’t know if your DRL‘s will run the low beam (mine do on the laramie). If so, you’ll have to take that into account.
I've worked on a few limiteds, the low beams did not turn off when the high beams were activated. This was on a 2020.

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i checked mine in a store window last night.
lows stayed on but dimmed just a bit.
fogs stayed on
oddly, i could not get the main low beams to turn off at all.
even if i turned the lights to off.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With my LED headlights the low beams stay on when I turn on the highs, best headlights I have ever experienced.
As far as tapping into some fuse, you all might be out of luck, from what I can tell they are controlled by the BCM :( So it would be necessary to tap straight into the head lights wiring.
This is the basic lights diag. LEDs are the same exept they are called out as a circuit board.
headlight circuit.jpg

Last edited:

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my LED headlights the low beams stay on when I turn on the highs, best headlights I have ever experienced.
As far as tapping into some fuse, you all might be out of luck, from what I can tell they are controlled by the BCM :( So it would be necessary to tap straight into the head lights wiring.
This is the basic lights diag. LEDs are the same exept they are called out as a circuit board.
View attachment 110520
You are correct - they are controlled through the BCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online