5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you "downgraded" trim level and been satisfied?

frostymug

Reaction score
To sum it up, very few people are content with a downgrade. So just don’t do it. I rather buy a less expensive car that is fully loaded, versus a higher end that’s not. Especially when it comes to driver aids and safety tech.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
To sum it up, very few people are content with a downgrade. So just don’t do it. I rather buy a less expensive car that is fully loaded, versus a higher end that’s not. Especially when it comes to driver aids and safety tech.
And let’s not forget that most everyone here that did not get what they wanted when purchasing, end up paying magnitudes more after the fact, from larger gas tanks, infotainment, surround cameras, or even trivial things like wheel liners. A lot more expensive proposition.

Cheers,

frostymug

Reaction score
And let’s not forget that most everyone here that did not get what they wanted when purchasing, end up paying magnitudes more after the fact, from larger gas tanks, infotainment, surround cameras, or even trivial things like wheel liners. A lot more expensive proposition.

Cheers,
And those of us who did get fully loaded still spend thousands on mods to make the truck better.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I went from a Genesis Coupe with leather and premium sound system to a Silverado with cloth and base sound. That was tough to swallow. Yeah I gained lots of utility but I wasn’t in the woods or hauling every week with the truck, so I missed that leather and the “fun” of the coupe. Ended up spending money on installing aftermarket stereo. Pain in the butt and lots of money, which was cool in my teens but kinda sucked when I was 30. I specifically ordered a loaded Rebel so I’ll have all of the creature comforts I could ever want (well, except vented seats). I plan to keep this truck for several years. Shortest I kept any vehicle was my Silverado which I had four years.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I rather buy a less expensive car that is fully loaded, versus a higher end that’s not.
Totally agree with this. I’d rather buy a less expensive vehicle equipped exactly the way I want it than “stretch” for one with a bunch of compromises.

I went from a Genesis Coupe with leather and premium sound system to a Silverado with cloth and base sound…I gained lots of utility but I wasn’t in the woods or hauling every week with the truck, so I missed that leather and the “fun” of the coupe…I specifically ordered a loaded Rebel so I’ll have all of the creature comforts I could ever want (well, except vented seats).
I could see doing this, as it doesn’t feel so much like a downgrade when changing vehicle types. But yeah, once you get used to having certain features…

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My last two Laramie's were fully loaded but stepped back to a Bighorn BackCountry this time because I liked that package and wanted to try something new. Ended up costing over $10,000 more with less options. Really the only things I miss are proximity keyless entry, ventilated seats, and rain sensitive wipers. So far I’m completely happy with the “downgrade”.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I was forced into the higher trim levels once the base model seats and dashes became so damn cheap and plastic. They were tolerable till around 08 but after that I just couldn't reconcile them any longer. I'd rather buy a used top level truck than a brand new one with less options.

Like many on here, I used to be the guy to buy lesser models and then upgrade as I go but I'm content now to read threads full of guys adding items that my truck came with from the factory.
Now I just do a few little mods that make the truck mine rather than playing catch up with the adults.

I also don't need or want to do most of the mods that other's do so I'm content to buy a top level model knowing that I'm not going to invest thousands more in parts that the truck came with stock. Stereos, rims, lift, etc. Been there done that, satisfied with stock setups now. I'd rather invest my money in ways that will help me retire earlier.

ChrisID

Reaction score
a long time ago I was always in GM's and worked my way up to Denali's, they looked classy to me (2000's), and then I went in to get another one and they looked like a clown truck (2014?) with a massive chrome grill, so I downgraded to the SLT and just loaded it up a bit. Worked for me.
My first Ram was a 20 laramie with level 1, and they added the 12" screen, ORG, and air ride (bought off the lot). I really like the truck a lot. When I needed another one for a different location, I got the limited ('21). I like them both, not a huge difference.
If I had to chose, sure I'd take the limited, but in no way am I disappointed with the laramie a little optioned out.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I've downgraded twice. 19 Laramie > 20 Rebel Level 1. And then 21 Laramie > 22 Big Horn Built to Serve.

I wasn't happy when I downgraded to the Rebel Level 1 at the time. I missed so many things. Drove me back into a Laramie. But now coming from that 21 Laramie to this 22 Big Horn I'm actually okay.

Biggest factor in happiness and satisfaction of "downgrading"???? LIFE!

I look back and can't believe I had something to complain about.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've downgraded twice. 19 Laramie > 20 Rebel Level 1. And then 21 Laramie > 22 Big Horn Built to Serve.

I wasn't happy when I downgraded to the Rebel Level 1 at the time. I missed so many things. Drove me back into a Laramie. But now coming from that 21 Laramie to this 22 Big Horn I'm actually okay.

Biggest factor in happiness and satisfaction of "downgrading"???? LIFE!

I look back and can't believe I had something to complain about.
of course you would be ok with the 22, its a BTS (y) ;)
but seriously if comparing to on the lot inventory, the ton of strip downs laramies and rebels at the time and even now it would feel like a downgrade to me
I feel very lucky with mine and the decision I went with

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I generally don't "downgrade" in life.
But when I buy something I look at my "needs", "wants", and "don't care".

When I got my last truck before my Ram my "needs" were Bluetooth, and built in nav. My "wants" were HUD, cloth seats, sunroof, and a great sound system. My "don't care" was basically rear sliding window. I ended up getting BT, nav, cloth seats, and Bose sound system and I was very happy.

When I got my Ram my "needs" were a bit different Bluetooth, Nav, HUD, and sunroof. My "wants" was speed adaptive cruise control.
The HUD was actually the single determining factor that forced me into a Limited vs a Laramie. I was not able to get all packages I wanted with the HUD on a Laramie because "chip shortage" funny there was no shortage if I ordered a Limited with the same options

gofishn

Reaction score
Yes.

Used to Bounce, at Rock Concerts & Bars, back in the early 1980's.
So many, varying Trims, it was mind boggling.
Downgraded to Single Trim version, when I got married in 1984, and , overall, could not be happier.
Avoided the whole "Aids" Thing & didn't really hear/know much about 'Herpes', until after I was safely Married.

Today, the Times and Situations are different, so your mileage may vary.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
of course you would be ok with the 22, its a BTS (y) ;)
but seriously if comparing to on the lot inventory, the ton of strip downs laramies and rebels at the time and even now it would feel like a downgrade to me
I feel very lucky with mine and the decision I went with
The BTS package makes up for some things for sure. I'm a lifted truck type of guy and having mine lifted and modded just makes it even better. Plus not one ounce of chrome on the thing.

Hokie-ram

Reaction score
I just bought a loaded 2022 BigHorn. MSRP was 65k bucks. I wish it did have the keyless entry, but at least it's got keyless start. I was VERY surprised that it didn't have the keyless entry. I didn't fathom a 65k truck wouldn't have it. It also doesn't have the blind spot monitor, but I can live without it because the side mirrors on the RAM actually do their job. Ram side mirrors are large and they extend out a good distance from the cab. On my old 2016 F-150, you really have to have the BSM because the side mirrors suck on those.
My BigHorn does have the panoramic sunroof and that is the reason I bought it over a Laramie. The Laramie that stickered for about the same didn't have it. And due to the chip shortage, no Laramie has the 12" screen either these days. I don't miss the Laramie at all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought a loaded 2022 BigHorn. MSRP was 65k bucks. I wish it did have the keyless entry, but at least it's got keyless start. I was VERY surprised that it didn't have the keyless entry. I didn't fathom a 65k truck wouldn't have it. It also doesn't have the blind spot monitor, but I can live without it because the side mirrors on the RAM actually do their job. Ram side mirrors are large and they extend out a good distance from the cab. On my old 2016 F-150, you really have to have the BSM because the side mirrors suck on those.
My BigHorn does have the panoramic sunroof and that is the reason I bought it over a Laramie. The Laramie that stickered for about the same didn't have it. And due to the chip shortage, no Laramie has the 12" screen either these days. I don't miss the Laramie at all.
Unless you count the tradesman the BigHorn is a base model.
I wouldn't expect anything good to be inside it.

Sounds like you should of done a custom order to get exactly what you wanted for less imo.

Users who are viewing this thread