5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you accidentally added windshield washer fluid to your coolant reservoir?

Spiral534

Reaction score
As I sit here and write this, I know how stupid this is going to sound, I normally have common sense - but I had a really dumb moment. I was on auto-pilot changing my oil and washing my 2021 Ram 5.7 and I put half gallon of rainx windshield washer fluid in the coolant tank. In my defense, I am not the first to do this as the coolant tank is black with a yellow cap on the left of the radiator (when looking at it from the front) and the washer tank is black with a yellow cap as well on the right.

I wasn't thinking about it until the next day DURING my 200 mile trip. I thought to myself "uh oh" and I stopped at a gas station, opened the lid of my coolant tank and sure enough, it smelled like straight rainx.
I could not do anything about it at the time, so when I got home the next day, I ordered 2 gallons of mopar concentrate 68163848AB from RockAuto.com (after tons of research, this is the correct part number and best price I could find ~$18 per gallon). I also purchased 6 gallons of distilled water from local grocery store as this is needed (do not use tap water).

I planned on using both gallons of coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water since that equals 16 quarts (manual says it holds 18.3 quarts but as we know, a little stays behind). I also planned on using 4 full gallons of water to run in the truck until at operating temperature plus 10 minutes, with defrost on high heat. But when I opened the drain on the bottom driver side of the radiator, only 5 quarts came out into a 15 quart pan. I did have the radiator cap off. It was all brand new orange/pink colored coolant, no blue rainx. This is good. However, I expected way more to come out, the rest must be in the block and only true way to eliminate is a professional flush. But I dont think I need that since the coolant was normal color.

I siphoned out the coolant tank and it was all blue. This is good too. This tells me that 500 miles of hwy/city did not pull anything from the reservoir.

Since the radiator was now empty and so was the tank, I poured 1 gallon and 1 quart (5 quarts) of distilled water in the radiator after closing the valve.
I then poured the remaining 3 quarts of distilled water in the coolant tank.

I started the truck and let it run to operating temperature plus 10 minutes, with defrost on high heat. I monitored the coolant temp and it maybe got up to 190F and there was heat coming out of the vents.

I let it cool down and drained the 5 quarts of water out of the radiator with the cap off and siphoned out the tank.

I poured in 2.5 quarts of coolant concentrate and 2.5 quarts of distilled water into the radiator after closing the valve. And 1.5 quarts coolant and 1.5 water in the tank.

All good.

Moral of this story is if you accidentally put washer fluid in the tank, just siphon it out, even if you drove it. And if you get out the same amount you put in, you may be just fine.

Attachments

• Mopar-21-Ram-1500-Special-Edition-in-Hydro-Blue.-Ken-Graff-CDJR-6.jpg
    Mopar-21-Ram-1500-Special-Edition-in-Hydro-Blue.-Ken-Graff-CDJR-6.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Yep. Been there. Done that.
Drained and filled the coolant overflow tank with distilled water a couple times to flush the washer fluid and filled with Mopar coolant.
Then took a sharpie and wrote on the caps, so it will never happen again.

Steve

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen posts from several that have, but I never have.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to run defrost or heater other than to heat the cab up. Coolant constantly flows through the heater core, even with A/C on.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try to get what you can get out of it and top it back off with coolant.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, same here. But I caught myself before i loaded the whole gallon in and didnt start the vehicle. At that time, I hardly drove it.
Siphoned out the reservoir with a wet/dry vac until completely empty. Dealer topped off during oil service a few weeks later. They even stated, "you were low on coolant", lol.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve ever done that.

They could color code the caps and make coolant green and washer blue. I realize both fluids come in different colors but those are pretty standard. Both are currently yellow caps.

5F410E89-816B-4DA2-A258-8141BFBCAAD0.jpeg

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t say I’ve ever done that.

They could color code the caps and make coolant green and washer blue. I realize both come in different colors but those are pretty standard.
I would think having to pull out the dipstick, that only the coolant reservoir has, would be a sign you are in the wrong place.

smashweights

Reaction score
First oil change in my old car I drained the transmission fluid then added 5 qts the still full engine oil... Didn't get very far before realizing the mistake. We all screw up, be glad yours was pretty painless

John Galt

Reaction score
Yup been there done that in my brand new Durango.

Didn’t have time to deal with it so I took it to the dealer to flush.

The windshield washer fluid itself won’t hurt anything right away (it’s mostly water) but some of the additives might in the long run if you leave it in there. Especially if it was that bug-cleaner stuff.

If you didn’t drive thousands of miles and wait months to flush it, no harm no foul. Only your pride will be hurt. If you did….it’ll probably still be fine but you might have the water pump or thermostat fail early.

The mechanic said it was a pretty common occurrence. For some reason the coolant and windshield reservoirs get confused all the time even though they’re clearly labeled, especially by people coming from Fords because a lot of them have the reservoirs on opposite sides and if you’re not paying attention…..force of habit takes over.

Cost me a coolant flush at 2500 miles. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. Even got my car washed and my windshield washer fluid reservoir refilled.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First oil change in my old car I drained the transmission fluid then added 5 qts the still full engine oil... Didn't get very far before realizing the mistake. We all screw up, be glad yours was pretty painless
my friend's brother in-law did that once. I heard a very loud "OH SH*T" from across the shop, rushed over, saw him laughing his *** off, and I busted out laughing when he told me what he did. We teased him about it for the longest time (still do, sometimes) and he's a good sport about it. fun times lol
My other friend did the same on his subaru too.

since then i triple check which drain plug im removing every time I do oil change on customers' vehicles lol

smashweights

Reaction score
my friend's brother in-law did that once. I heard a very loud "OH SH*T" from across the shop, rushed over, saw him laughing his *** off, and I busted out laughing when he told me what he did. We teased him about it for the longest time (still do, sometimes) and he's a good sport about it. fun times lol
My other friend did the same on his subaru too.

since then i triple check which drain plug im removing every time I do oil change on customers' vehicles lol
Yeah I drove it out of the garage and was like "why is the shifting so terrible???" Then it dawned on me and I shut it down and pushed it back. 🤦‍♂️

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But that dipstick doesn't have to be removed to add liquid to the reservoir. It's a pour-through design.

Steve
No, but it's pretty obvious it's there, and how would you know you need to add if you do t take it out?

Spiral534

Reaction score
I've seen posts from several that have, but I never have.

Also, there is absolutely no reason to run defrost or heater other than to heat the cab up. Coolant constantly flows through the heater core, even with A/C on.
This is true but I wanted to make sure that there was no air taking space and it doesn't hurt to confirm heat coming out. If no heat when engine is hot, that grabs my attention. Of course when I first started it, I left the radiator cap off and squeezed the upper hose a bunch making sure to get all air bubbles out and top off before it got hot and replacing the cap.

Last edited:

Spiral534

Reaction score
No, but it's pretty obvious it's there, and how would you know you need to add if you do t take it out?
Yes, it is obvious it is there but I merely looked in and saw the top of the fluid being low. You can't see the color since the tank is black. I wish the tanks were clear/white but that is a learning lesson. I'm still an idiot but glad I don't think I caused any damage. I just wanted to make a post for anyone concerned if they do the same thing. First step is admitting it, right? Lol

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why did they put Yellow caps on both. Just kills me.

I taped off the coolant side, and spray painted it black...so I don't get it confused.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why did they put Yellow caps on both. Just kills me.

I taped off the coolant side, and spray painted it black...so I don't get it confused.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
They have used yellow caps for both, across most manufacturers, for at least 25 years. It's not like this is the first vehicle that has ever had yellow caps. brake fluid cap is also yellow. Try not to confuse that with coolant or washer fluid

All mine have been replaced with billet caps. So no yellow, other than oil dipstick, under my hood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread