5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you accidentally added windshield washer fluid to your coolant reservoir?

Spiral534

Reaction score
I don't know. Do you really think people will look at a pic of a little radiator or windshield on the cap before they fill up the reservoir? 🤣

View attachment 156915
Well, yea of course. But ours have the yellow coolant on the passenger side of the radiator and yellow washer fluid on the driver side of the radiator lol. Dumb mistake but not far fetched when you're on auto pilot.

Attachments

• Mopar-21-Ram-1500-Special-Edition-in-Hydro-Blue.-Ken-Graff-CDJR-6.jpg
    Mopar-21-Ram-1500-Special-Edition-in-Hydro-Blue.-Ken-Graff-CDJR-6.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 9

Spiral534

Reaction score
I was waiting to see a thread like this pop up.

I haven't yet, but I have worried about it, since they look the same at a quick glance and simply not paying attention, running in "auto pilot" could easily get me to make that mistake, and I am the type to make those mistakes.

Doing that mistake is one of several I worry about the dealership doing if I brought it in for service which is why I took a single small strip of black electrical tape and put it across the coolant cap to remind me or anyone else not to put fluid in there unless they were sure. Simple clean solution to prevent that possible screw up.
Yea, I saw some threads about it but wanted to put my mistake out there. If it helps anyone, I'm not embarrassed. Smart move with the tape if you bring it in for service. Its the auto pilot that got me. I am honestly not a moron, I have a lot on my mind and plate right now, it was a long frustrating day, and I goofed. Definitely won't happen again lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, I saw some threads about it but wanted to put my mistake out there. If it helps anyone, I'm not embarrassed. Smart move with the tape if you bring it in for service. Its the auto pilot that got me. I am honestly not a moron, I have a lot on my mind and plate right now, it was a long frustrating day, and I goofed. Definitely won't happen again lol

No worries, and you don't have to be a moron to make dumb mistakes, some of the smartest people I know make the dumbest mistakes you can think of.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, yea of course. But ours have the yellow coolant on the passenger side of the radiator and yellow washer fluid on the driver side of the radiator lol. Dumb mistake but not far fetched when you're on auto pilot.

Nobody is saying you're dumb. You posted your mistake, so you have to expect us to bust your balls. 🤣

I've never noticed, is there an automotive standard as far as which side each reservoir should be located?

Casull

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Getting rid of a second gallon of washer fluid I had in the garage. Went to top off the Ram, went to the passenger side and did a "huh". Looked around for a couple of minutes before spotting it on the driver's side. Looked at it again a couple of times. Took the cap off to check color and couldn't see any. Finally figured I had to be right and started pouring. Took almost the whole gallon. Obviously it was shipped dry and the dealer didn't put any in either (just got the truck a week earlier).

Quint

Reaction score
I did it on my 2015 Ram as well. I had never had a vehicle where the radiator cap wasn't metal with a pop top. I saw the plastic top and poured in windshield wiper fluid. I just siphoned until it stopped coming out blue. No harm no foul. It ran for another 70k miles before I traded it in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did it on my 2015 Ram as well. I had never had a vehicle where the radiator cap wasn't metal with a pop top. I saw the plastic top and poured in windshield wiper fluid. I just siphoned until it stopped coming out blue. No harm no foul. It ran for another 70k miles before I traded it in.
The radiator cap is different from the overflow. We still have a metal radiator cap.

Spiral534

Reaction score
Nobody is saying you're dumb. You posted your mistake, so you have to expect us to bust your balls. 🤣

I've never noticed, is there an automotive standard as far as which side each reservoir should be located?
Oh, I was expecting it lol.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Worst oil filter location ever lol
My 2013 Acadia is way worse then these Rams. It's in the front of the engine half way down with no good way to get to it. Also 0 way to collect the oil except for everywhere. The ram is a walk in the park compared to that.
Doing that mistake is one of several I worry about the dealership doing if I brought it in for service.
My worry is the dealership taking my keys and being inside or around my truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2013 Acadia is way worse then these Rams. It's in the front of the engine half way down with no good way to get to it. Also 0 way to collect the oil except for everywhere. The ram is a walk in the park compared to that.

My worry is the dealership taking my keys and being inside or around my truck.
My 2020 Traverse has the oil filter on front of engine. I access it from the top, since you can't get it from underneath. Has a little "trough" to help direct the oil down. Not nearly as messy as my Ram, but not the best either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 Traverse has the oil filter on front of engine. I access it from the top, since you can't get it from underneath. Has a little "trough" to help direct the oil down. Not nearly as messy as my Ram, but not the best either.
On the 2013 the oil hits a bunch of stuff before landing in the pan. I generally see 2 streams or sprays when I look underneath after removing the filter.
On the ram it's super easy (in comparison) to funnel the oil from the plug and filter.
Almost like it'd a competition to see who can make things more awkward to do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the 2013 the oil hits a bunch of stuff before landing in the pan. I generally see 2 streams or sprays when I look underneath after removing the filter.
On the ram it's super easy (in comparison) to funnel the oil from the plug and filter.
Since I use the larger SRT filter, it's pain in the *** to try and use the bag truck, or get something up there to direct oil. I just let it run down the use brake cleaner and a rag to clean up as best I can before putting new filter on

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My grand Cherokee with the v6 has a paper filter which is on top of the engine. Very convenient!

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just changed my wife's oil on her traverse. Reaching between the exhaust to get the filter out is tiiiiight.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Since I use the larger SRT filter, it's pain in the *** to try and use the bag truck, or get something up there to direct oil. I just let it run down the use brake cleaner and a rag to clean up as best I can before putting new filter on
I use an SRT filter also.
I use an oil utter and some flex tubing into the oil pan. It stays in the filter with a magnet while it drains, no bag needed.

It is a pain to get it out after it's completely drained, I end up smushing a charismas tree push clip to it's side and can take it right down.

For the drain plug depending on what angle my truck is on either let it drain right into the pan, or a piece of aluminum as a funnel.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I can't remember now if it was on my 2012 or my 2002, it's been a while now. One of them actually had a little ramp sort of like channel iron under the filter and over the front axle. The oil would drain right down that into the pain with no mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online