5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a couple Big Horn/Laramie questions/comparisons.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True! I don’t care that my dash is not leather.

And, for the record, I m happy with my truck… it’s just that I was also happy with by BigHorn and it was a lot less expensive!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My last two trucks were Laramie’s and went backwards to a Bighorn. Not having proximity entry, rain sense wipers and cool vented seats was an adjustment at first but honestly don’t miss them at all now. I’m very happy with my BackCountry package and saved at least $5000 vs the Laramie and picked up quite a few more upgrades my Laramie’s didn’t have. I have no regrets.

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It may have already been discussed and I missed it, but I think another difference is heated and cooled front seats in the Laramie with leather, as well as heated rear seats. The Big Horns I looked at didn’t offer this, and usually with cloth seats they MAY have heated seats, but even that is usually reserved for leather.

Last edited:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's called a leather dash.

It's no differnet then the wood steering wheel, having no actual wood on it.
Take it as you will.

The dash material is different on the Bighorn and Laramie 2023s, you can clearly see it on the website.

You aren't happy with your truck. We get it.
Through 2022, it isn’t the same “leather” dash among Laramies and Limiteds. I’ve had a Big Horn and a Laramie in the last few years, and as @moosem said, those dashes are almost identical. Ram can call it whatever they want, up to now only the Limited has had actual leather.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My $.02...OP you mentioned wanting SurroundView....GET IT. It's VERY useful for me. Also, I'd absolutely opt for the LED headlights standard on the Laramie. The ventilated seats are awesome for long summer drives, and the rear reclining seats are much appreciated by passengers. The other little niceties of the Laramie make it well worthy my money. YMMV.

The other big thing no one has mentioned is resale value...a highly optioned vehicle retains a higher percentage resale value over time. May not matter to you, but it's always a factor for me.

Jexx

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I used in-build navigation. Apple and Android maps are free and are always up to date...and now you have CarPlay and android auto
Exactly, built in Navigation gets out of date very quickly, while Android Auto is always up to date and free, and with the 2022s at least, we have wireless Android Auto which makes it a no brainer...I could care less these days about built in Navigation.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly, built in Navigation gets out of date very quickly, while Android Auto is always up to date and free, and with the 2022s at least, we have wireless Android Auto which makes it a no brainer...I could care less these days about built in Navigation.
2022s get free map updates...

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
My $.02...OP you mentioned wanting SurroundView....GET IT. It's VERY useful for me. Also, I'd absolutely opt for the LED headlights standard on the Laramie. The ventilated seats are awesome for long summer drives, and the rear reclining seats are much appreciated by passengers. The other little niceties of the Laramie make it well worthy my money. YMMV.

The other big thing no one has mentioned is resale value...a highly optioned vehicle retains a higher percentage resale value over time. May not matter to you, but it's always a factor for me.

Even with my current (older/smaller) truck the surround view at times would be helpful due to many places here having small parking spots.
Figured with this larger vehicle, its would just about be a necessity. (at least for me :cool: )

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why in saying that figure out what is your must have and go from there

For me, when I placed my order for a 2022 I had 3 must haves.

Pano sunroof
Rambox
Off-road package

I could have gotten into the Laramie back in July 2021, but i learned about some package called " back country". A little disappointed that it came with halogen headlights, but was not a deal breaker.

I placed my order and got my build exactly how I wanted it. Got lucky too because they stopped making bighorn with the rambox.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They arent 2 years old.
My state changed highway numbers in spring\summer last year, and they are on the new maps I downloaded.
Must mean they updated your area. There are roads I drive on in Nebraska that were built 10 years ago that still aren't on factory Nav maps

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Must mean they updated your area. There are roads I drive on in Nebraska that were built 10 years ago that still aren't on factory Nav maps
UC5 uses differnet maps then UC4.

Have a road\address I can lookup on mine to see if it's there?

tom318

Reaction score
I went with the Laramie for the following reasons.

1. Keyless entry. I was offended my 20k vw had it and a 55k bighorn wouldn’t. So because I’m strange, spending 60k made me feel like I wasn’t down grading.
2. Option for Harmon kardon. I preferred it over the alpine.
3. Leather seats/vented seats.
4. Few interior things that made it feel as if it is was better quality. Stainless shifter knob. LED interior lights. ( not 100% sure if the bighorn comes with that.) I feel when I researched in 2020 the BH didn’t have that.
Happy with all the extra features I paid for so far.

cleandirt

Reaction score
Regarding the seats, I like the ventilated seats in my Laramie, I think the “leather” seats would be unpleasantly clammy in warm weather without the ventilation. I’ve always had fabric seats on my previous trucks and was content with them. I think I would be happy enough with the Bighorn’s fabric seats with the heated option. Other options I would encourage you to get are the rubber floor mats and blind spot monitoring. I’ve noticed the b pillar partially blocks my view when checking my blind spot, the side mirrors are really good but the blind spot monitoring adds some good insurance. In retrospect I would probably order the Bighorn with the backcountry package if I had it to do over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
As many have stated the differences which the big horn may not have...
Passive entry,
Leather seats/ leather dash trim
Ventilated seats
Reclining rear seats
Led headlamps/ tail lamps
rain sensitive wipers
Ram boxes
Fender flares

But for me I couldn't justify spending 62-75 grand for a truck without tax/ interest; it was way cheaper b4 the pandemic, and I received invoice pricing on my 2022 Ram Big Horn with $4750 in rebates and 0% interest Chrysler capital. I hate leather!!! As a automotive,diesel,aircraft tech. all my vehicles have had seat covers the past 20 years... I'm addicted to seat covers, I bought a 97 Saturn 5 years ago for $1400 and put my seat covers from my other retired 2002 Saturn of 20 years in it, on top of the leather seats with double sided tape and dish mat material.. Leather must be conditioned properly, I prefer 303 aerospace or chemical guys cleaner and conditioner. Most people don't maintain their leather or keep their vehicles like I do forever or until they die and leather cracks, armorall dries it out and causes cracks... ask GM about this in the 90's/2000 era . Ram also has issues with the leather dash bubbling and lifting(defects). Leather and dash material must be protected from the sun/ UV rays just as paint.

Secondly I don't like the fender flares, I see to many vehicles rust in the wheel well, with the salt and snow here in Chicago, I don't want a 300,000 mile rust bucket like the Rams I use to work on in the early 2000's.

Led headlights.... I'm use to putting in my own led / hid bulbs....lol. I seen too many vehicles led assemblies go out or broken segments such as the charger rear taillight segment. One light assembly can cost $700-800 for a replacement... I'm old school, I still like my led bulbs for now... cheaper!!

I never been spoiled with a vehicle with ventilated seats and would like to keep it that way! Ram's moon roof glass generates a lot of heat from the sun which is why it has cooling issues in the hot weather... like trying to kill ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid... no thanks and I don't want problems with water leaks or stained headliner issues 15 years from now.

I'm a basic person 8.4 screen is fine... no I pad screen!!! I have metro pcs pay as you go and hate I phones!! I do all my own maintenance and repairs, no dealer touches my vehicles, most technicians are careless, cause scratches, don't properly diagnose the problem the first time and don't treat a customer vehicle like its their own.

It's up to the person whether what model they choose.... Limited.... all that chrome!!!! Laramie... leather. Or Big Horn and make it how you want it. Mine was a factory order 33 gal tank, v6 etorque, bed protection, skid plates, level 2 equip. alpine radio bc I love to listen to my engine when I drive!! I have the pedal commander which eliminates the pedal response by varying the voltage signal to the pedal/throttle. (Now it's a different truck and I can spin the tires depending on the setting I choose. Back in the day V8's had around 250-300hp anyway I think. I modified my truck the way I wanted it and not what the dealer wants to sell, even found night edition wheels/tires on offer up.. So I went from this..... to this!! As well here are my 90's cars.... I'm OLD SCHOOL!!! What is PPF? I still wax my car.... what they don't make paint good on cars like in the 80-90's anymore so you need PPF?

20220605_204115.jpg 20221212_102506~2.jpg 20220828_153727.jpg 20230104_042052-1.png 20220604_092246-1.jpg 20220616_162109-1.jpg 20221030_084037-1.jpg 20220613_091646-1.jpg 20230109_140236~3-1-2.jpg 20230109_140323~2-1.jpg

Last edited:

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from a loaded 2016 GMC SLT to a 2020 BigHorn. The only thing I would like to have on my BigHord would be a power passenger seat or at least manual height adjustment. My wife is 6ft and I am 6'2" and when either of us sits in the passenger seat, it feels like I am touching the headliner.

Otherwise, I am very content with my BigHorn, I actually really love this truck.

I will caution you about options, my 2020 BigHorn stickered right 60k, which was back when vehicles were decently priced. At 60k I might as well have gotten the Laramie.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As many have stated the differences which the big horn may not have...
Passive entry,
Leather seats/ leather dash trim
Ventilated seats
Reclining rear seats
Led headlamps/ tail lamps
rain sensitive wipers
Ram boxes
Fender flares

But for me I couldn't justify spending 62-75 grand for a truck without tax/ interest; it was way cheaper b4 the pandemic, and I received invoice pricing on my 2022 Ram Big Horn with $4750 in rebates and 0% interest Chrysler capital. I hate leather!!! As a automotive,diesel,aircraft tech. all my vehicles have had seat covers the past 20 years... I'm addicted to seat covers, I bought a 97 Saturn 5 years ago for $1400 and put my seat covers from my other retired 2002 Saturn of 20 years in it, on top of the leather seats with double sided tape and dish mat material.. Leather must be conditioned properly, I prefer 303 aerospace or chemical guys cleaner and conditioner. Most people don't maintain their leather or keep their vehicles like I do forever or until they die and leather cracks, armorall dries it out and causes cracks... ask GM about this in the 90's/2000 era . Ram also has issues with the leather dash bubbling and lifting(defects). Leather and dash material must be protected from the sun/ UV rays just as paint.

Secondly I don't like the fender flares, I see to many vehicles rust in the wheel well, with the salt and snow here in Chicago, I don't want a 300,000 mile rust bucket like the Rams I use to work on in the early 2000's.

Led headlights.... I'm use to putting in my own led / hid bulbs....lol. I seen too many vehicles led assemblies go out or broken segments such as the charger rear taillight segment. One light assembly can cost $700-800 for a replacement... I'm old school, I still like my led bulbs for now... cheaper!!

I never been spoiled with a vehicle with ventilated seats and would like to keep it that way! Ram's moon roof glass generates a lot of heat from the sun which is why it has cooling issues in the hot weather... like trying to kill ants with a magnifying glass when you were a kid... no thanks and I don't want problems with water leaks or stained headliner issues 15 years from now.

I'm a basic person 8.4 screen is fine... no I pad screen!!! I have metro pcs pay as you go and hate I phones!! I do all my own maintenance and repairs, no dealer touches my vehicles, most technicians are careless, cause scratches, don't properly diagnose the problem the first time and don't treat a customer vehicle like its their own.

It's up to the person whether what model they choose.... Limited.... all that chrome!!!! Laramie... leather. Or Big Horn and make it how you want it. Mine was a factory order 33 gal tank, v6 etorque, bed protection, skid plates, level 2 equip. alpine radio bc I love to listen to my engine when I drive!! I have the pedal commander which eliminates the pedal response by varying the voltage signal to the pedal/throttle. (Now it's a different truck and I can spin the tires depending on the setting I choose. Back in the day V8's had around 250-300hp anyway I think. I modified my truck the way I wanted it and not what the dealer wants to sell, even found night edition wheels/tires on offer up.. So I went from this..... to this!! As well here are my 90's cars.... I'm OLD SCHOOL!!! What is PPF? I still wax my car.... what they don't make paint good on cars like in the 80-90's anymore so you need PPF?
Great to see so many good points

A few things
My Limited has no Chrome
Yes the paint jobs are in fact crap now. I have over 30 chips (not counting the other 20 I filled in with touchup paint) in my front bumper and I haven't even owned my truck for 1 year yet.
The ventilated seats in the Ram are crap. you arent missing anything. Other manufactures provide MUCH better options even going back 10 years.
Pricing is also deceiving depending on where you get your truck from. I got my 2022 Limited new for around 64k after rebates but the MSRP is 81k. Still very expensive but pricing out the Rams are weird because of how many discounts you get at a good dealership.

I generally believe in getting the cheapest trim possible that allows you to get the features that YOU want. Unfortunately for me that was a Limited ("because the chip shortage" drove me out of a Laramie that I wanted to be built")

Users who are viewing this thread