5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have a couple Big Horn/Laramie questions/comparisons.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
With the Laramie, all I really want is the surround view.
Not a fan of leather seats, but figured I would have to give/take.
Also, the Florida sun will definitely deteriorate any dash (leather or plastic).
I generally don't upkeep the inside, but do keep the outside nice with Zaino products.
So far the extra items are "nice" but can live without as I never had them, but feel that surround view is a must have.
I guess it will come down to the final price.
If I find a Big Horn with all I want for $15k-$20k, the Big Horn wins out.
But if only $5k-$8k more (OTD) it would be a harder decision.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Great to see so many good points

A few things
My Limited has no Chrome
Yes the paint jobs are in fact crap now. I have over 30 chips (not counting the other 20 I filled in with touchup paint) in my front bumper and I haven't even owned my truck for 1 year yet.
The ventilated seats in the Ram are crap. you arent missing anything. Other manufactures provide MUCH better options even going back 10 years.
Pricing is also deceiving depending on where you get your truck from. I got my 2022 Limited new for around 64k after rebates but the MSRP is 81k. Still very expensive but pricing out the Rams are weird because of how many discounts you get at a good dealership.

I generally believe in getting the cheapest trim possible that allows you to get the features that YOU want. Unfortunately for me that was a Limited ("because the chip shortage" drove me out of a Laramie that I wanted to be built")
Very good point Darksteel, for this reason... I went to the used car lot and viewed newer Ram 1500's and F-150's years 2020-2021 and all the front bumpers had many small specs of paint missing on the front bumper and trim pieces directly below the headlight, This is my first new car at age 40 but I never seen this on 90's-2000 era fords and rams or cars when I was in automotive 15 years ago as a technician. I touched up 2 spots on my bumper and my door handle and I have only 3,000 miles. Manufactures have failed in the paint department, my 90's cars still have factory paint. Makes me think even bug strikes can chip the front bumper paint.... Never on my motorcycles or older vehicles have I seen paint so cheap/ soft and tiny specs of paint missing everywhere. Just go look at any Ram and Ford truck bumper and you will see the paint quality is lacking for what is paid for vehicles nowadays. And I know all things are made cheap now and they want top dollar like refrigerators and washing machines that are junk.

(I touched up my front bumper over a 100 spots touched up, paint missing lol). How did this happen when I barely drive it and its waxed???

This is unacceptable and I hope other manufacturers are not like this. For this reason I went looking at newer Rams and F-150's because I had 3 specs of paint chipped off. Its not me, its the cheap quality nowadays and its sad for what we pay for all things like socks... one or two washes and garbage... never in the 80's or 90's would this happen.. many people still have that old fridge in the garage still working from the 90's... lol. Besides tnat I love my RAM!!! Bring back the good paint from the 90's like the black Pontiac Firebird!! Still factory paint on these 90's cars I have and no PPF, lol.

Screenshot_20220818-141147.png 20230102_091125.png 20230104_033846.png

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Sport Appearance with the black rims is a really nice combo.
Paid $1400 on offer up Factory Ram rims, now I have a winter and summer set. The chrome plated rims pit really bad liks Cadillacs from the 90's. Had to fight tooth and nail to get one replaced, showing them it was a manufacturing defect... the new replacement had issues as well but was 10 times better... cheap quality but huge $$$.. I always wanted a Ram for over 20 years.

Screenshot_20220828-083529.png 20220828_153545.jpg 20220905_125415.jpg

beetlespin

Reaction score
I went from a loaded Ford Ranger to a RAM Bighorn.

The two main things I miss are the rain sensing wipers and the heated seats. I have back issues and the heated seats were on most of the time.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very good point Darksteel, for this reason... I went to the used car lot and viewed newer Ram 1500's and F-150's years 2020-2021 and all the front bumpers had many small specs of paint missing on the front bumper and trim pieces directly below the headlight, This is my first new car at age 40 but I never seen this on 90's-2000 era fords and rams or cars when I was in automotive 15 years ago as a technician. I touched up 2 spots on my bumper and my door handle and I have only 3,000 miles. Manufactures have failed in the paint department, my 90's cars still have factory paint. Makes me think even bug strikes can chip the front bumper paint.... Never on my motorcycles or older vehicles have I seen paint so cheap/ soft and tiny specs of paint missing everywhere. Just go look at any Ram and Ford truck bumper and you will see the paint quality is lacking for what is paid for vehicles nowadays. And I know all things are made cheap now and they want top dollar like refrigerators and washing machines that are junk.

(I touched up my front bumper over a 100 spots touched up, paint missing lol). How did this happen when I barely drive it and its waxed???

This is unacceptable and I hope other manufacturers are not like this. For this reason I went looking at newer Rams and F-150's because I had 3 specs of paint chipped off. Its not me, its the cheap quality nowadays and its sad for what we pay for all things like socks... one or two washes and garbage... never in the 80's or 90's would this happen.. many people still have that old fridge in the garage still working from the 90's... lol. Besides tnat I love my RAM!!! Bring back the good paint from the 90's like the black Pontiac Firebird!! Still factory paint on these 90's cars I have and no PPF, lol.

View attachment 150412 View attachment 150413 View attachment 150414
You must not remember the paint issues of the late 80's early 90's when they switched to the water based paints. White was the worst offender. No manufacturer was exempt.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I switched from my Laramie to my big horn back country the vented seats and the small reclining rear seats was something I had to get use to and I do miss from time to time.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Good comments about the paint.
My old truck has a combo of paint and fake chrome on the front.
The chrome portion still looks great, but the painted area is pitted through the clear coat.

Now, I may be rethinking the Sports package.......but maybe not as I really like the look.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Especially those GM cars. Looked like they were peeling after a bad sunburn.
No doubt! I was a buyer at a used car company, and I bought a nice white '99 buick century one time. It got trucked to a store about 300 miles away and I received a call from that store when it arrived, asking me what I was thinking when I bought it. Apparently It got a chip in the paint and by the time it arrived an entire C pillar was bald :ROFLMAO:

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
The website has been very weird lately- the other day it was only showing 4 avail colors when I did a build and then after a refresh all the normal colors were options again.

As of today, the Granite Crystal Metallic is still not visible.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As of today, the Granite Crystal Metallic is still not visible.
I am amazed at the changes that come and go on the website. If I try to build a 2023 version of my truck on the site, I can't. The closest I can get isn't even a Laramie, now, it is a Rebel and, as was stated, GCM doesn't even show as an option. Plus the cost shown on each (Laramie, Rebel) would be $3-4k more than what the sticker was on my '22, even with the missing items. If I was truck shopping right now, the odds are strong that I would end up with a GMC - I am soooo glad I got my truck when I did.

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
I am amazed at the changes that come and go on the website. If I try to build a 2023 version of my truck on the site, I can't. The closest I can get isn't even a Laramie, now, it is a Rebel and, as was stated, GCM doesn't even show as an option. Plus the cost shown on each (Laramie, Rebel) would be $3-4k more than what the sticker was on my '22, even with the missing items. If I was truck shopping right now, the odds are strong that I would end up with a GMC - I am soooo glad I got my truck when I did.
Which is why I got mine as well in 2022 at invoice + $4750 in rebates at 0% chrysler capital. The prices went up huge since 2020 when I started researching, so I finally pulled the plug in 2022 in fear of 2023 pricing/options/ect. for my bighorn sports package edition.

Attachments

• 20230109_140416.jpg
    20230109_140416.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220907-162952.png
    Screenshot_20220907-162952.png
    288.2 KB · Views: 24

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I have a 22 Bighorn. My brother has a 19 Laramie. There are differences, but day to day they don’t matter. I specifically appreciate the real $ savings. I may tinker and add some things like rain sensing wipers, which is easy to do (see other forums). But I don’t want them bad enough to spend extra $ for the Laramie.

On the 2023 Bighorn, I’d watch the black door handles and lower trim mirrors. I don’t know if my 22 Bighorn “is special”, but I have turn signals on my mirrors and LED entry lights, and color matched door handles. Also, I don’t like fender flares that look bulbous IMO. So together, I love the way my 22 Bighorn looks. Although it may seem like a small thing, the black door handles and basic mirrors look kind of low end to me. Maybe enough that it might push me to Laramie if I were buying in 2023.

Attachments

• 55CEB068-9FAD-415E-83BA-D537892451D0.jpeg
    55CEB068-9FAD-415E-83BA-D537892451D0.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online