5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone removed these grill inserts?

Bcryan

Reaction score
Sorry I should be more specific... the actual overlay for the grill it the letters

GB1911

Reaction score
They are a part of the grille.
I installed grille overlays so I think you can buy the chrome overlays and wrap them..

I'm planning on ordering this exact thing. Good to hear that you recommend it. Was worried it would look cheap and very "aftermarket." Thanks for providing the picture

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on ordering this exact thing. Good to hear that you recommend it. Was worried it would look cheap and very "aftermarket." Thanks for providing the picture
Looks 100% OEM. I actually forgot i added this HAHA!
It's also more durable than the rest of the grille IMO, I have a bunch of stone-chip marks on the grille but nothing on these overlays...

GB1911

Reaction score
Looks 100% OEM. I actually forgot i added this HAHA!
It's also more durable than the rest of the grille IMO, I have a bunch of stone-chip marks on the grille but nothing on these overlays...
Good to know! Ordering them in the near future. I'm embracing the chrome look rather than color matching everything. Looks more classy to me

oaviking06

Reaction score
I'm also wanting to black out the 5 chrome bars and I saw the chrome overlays on ebay and also want it in black. I was wondering are the 5 chrome bars on the truck an overlay already, could they be removed? or could I add these chrome overlays (would black out first) on top of the chrome already installed by factory...

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I'm also wanting to black out the 5 chrome bars and I saw the chrome overlays on ebay and also want it in black. I was wondering are the 5 chrome bars on the truck an overlay already, could they be removed? or could I add these chrome overlays (would black out first) on top of the chrome already installed by factory...
I’m looking at doing same thing. I think buying the overlays and painting black will be easiest and cheapest way to go. I’ve looked at new grilles and see it being anywhere from $400 (used on EBay with minor scratches) or around $550 new. It’s so hard to differentiate between the part numbers for the grills on Mopar sites. A seasoned parts guy may be able to decipher quickly, I just haven’t gone that far yet.
I spoke with owner of store that sells chrome overlays and he said they don’t make in black but they can be painted. Would just have to go the extra mile with the chrome.

oaviking06

Reaction score
I Just bought a cheaper version was $39 will see how they turn out, these are not snapped on but rather a trim that has to be cut. I will wrap in black vinyl or spray them black... But idk how I feel about the cutting to size. I think I prefer the Snap into place. I will let you know what its like when I receive. If I don't like it I will probably get the Snap in place version which was like $100 more. I also looked at the grilles and yea they are about $500, a little to much for just wanting to dechrome the 5 bars... Plus man they really made it a P.I.T.A to remove this new grill, having to remove bolts from under fender and prying off the plastic piece under the headlights.. I can do it, but just thinking about it haha...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I Just bought a cheaper version was $39 will see how they turn out, these are not snapped on but rather a trim that has to be cut. I will wrap in black vinyl or spray them black... But idk how I feel about the cutting to size. I think I prefer the Snap into place. I will let you know what its like when I receive. If I don't like it I will probably get the Snap in place version which was like $100 more. I also looked at the grilles and yea they are about $500, a little to much for just wanting to dechrome the 5 bars... Plus man they really made it a P.I.T.A to remove this new grill, having to remove bolts from under fender and prying off the plastic piece under the headlights.. I can do it, but just thinking about it haha...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-2020-2021-RAM-1500-CHROME-TRIM-FOR-GRILL-GRILLE-W-5YR-WARRANTY-19-20-21/174332045174?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Yeah, I saw the type you’re talking about. When I saw “cut to size”, it turned me off of them. Glad to know I’m not the only one obsessing over this, haha! Please keep me up to date on this type.

oaviking06

Reaction score
Do not buy the $39 ones hahaha they are a joke, it is just a flat chrome strip, thinner than a LED strip.. i thought maybe they would be c shaped that you pushed onto the grill kinda like the ones that are used for door edges... but they are not, just a flat strip.. i opened package and immediately started the return process haha

oaviking06

Reaction score
I got a neighbor with a ram that has black inserts tempted to go ask if he wants to swap out

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Do not buy the $39 ones hahaha they are a joke, it is just a flat chrome strip, thinner than a LED strip.. i thought maybe they would be c shaped that you pushed onto the grill kinda like the ones that are used for door edges... but they are not, just a flat strip.. i opened package and immediately started the return process haha
How did the $40 ones even get here??
No one should get those... The good stuff cost around $100...

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Wow, I just received the E Bay chrome covers that snap on. They are very well made!! I am about to start process of painting them Matte Black. If you go this route, go with these from The Bling King store! They are a few dollars more BUT Brandon, the owner of company, has really good customer service!! Also, his come with a warranty!

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I will when I get home. I forgot to take a pic on the truck. Unfortunately, I’m at work until April 19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
c2a7413c6eaa1213398b2fb613fa0da2.jpg

Here it is. Now, just got to do something with the chrome tow hooks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread