5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone purchased the Dana Super 60 for the max towing package.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has got the Dana Super 60 axle. We are having a debate about maximum tongue weight and I can not find anything about how they got their tongue weight right with a maximum load trailer.

The towing chart says 1100 is the maximum tongue weight and the hitch itself is rated to 1275.

10% is a minimum tongue weight so that says the trailer can only weigh 11000 or 12750. But, you have to subtract the weight of the hitch...usually about 70lbs.

So, how do they get that max trailer weight. Guess you have to have a light tongue or the Dana Super 60 adds to that.

So you Quad Cab 2wd owners...anyone get the Super 60

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone get the DANA Super 60 yet. Been 3 model years out now...no one seems that frequents internet forums seems to have got the option

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious also since I saw somewhere (whether stamped in the hitch or just class IV rating) that it is 1500 LBS tongue max for the hitch and class IV receiver so the limiting factor is still the axle. Which also makes me curious because I saw somewhere that when you order 22" wheels from the factory you get stronger bearing assemblies.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is an old conversation that just happened to come up again.

The 2019 literature said 1100lb max tongue weight. The recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch over 500lbs.

At one point we saw notice of 1200lbs.

The Class of hitch may very well go to 1500...but the last conversation said 1200...1100 being in the manual at one point.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people are going to get that. It is hard enough the stay within GVWR and GCWR as it is. The Max Tow adds some beef to the rear to pull more but that's a lot for a 1/2 ton to pull.

If I was considering the Max Tow for the 1500 I would be looking for 2500s in my price range instead.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread