5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone installed proper midbass 6x9s in the doors?

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
All are 4 ohm.
I will tell you that the speakers in the Alpine system are 2 ohm. I have checked mine and they are not 4 ohm. That is one of the reasons for leaning towards the CDT speakers instead of the Kicker 44KSC6904 for my doors so I do not lose volume level, but with a CDT at 89 dB sensitivity and the Kicker at 92, there may not be a volume loss. The other issue is mounting depth, the CDT's fit with no issues, the Kicker or deeper mounting speakers may hit and rub. I only want to mess with it once so I want to make the right choice and not tie up a bunch of unneeded $ on speakers I need to sell. So I am trying to get a good feel of others experience.

mch

Reaction score
I did the 2ohm speakers; they sound great. You can fit the full size speakers in the rear doors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mch

Reaction score
I was told by many other threads that the 71-050 is the correct adapter to use even though it is only carried by Crutchfield, even the Metra site says they are still researching the adaptor for our Trucks at this time as of TODAY and it is definitely not the 72-6514, all sites Metra, Amazon and Crutchfield say to not use that one. So I went with the 71-050 from Crutchfield and will just try my lick that way. Ordered them yesterday.

A little late reply, but to clarify for others since you appear to have already ordered the correct harness available from Crutchfield: The 72-6514 is the same plug as the 71-050, but the wires are reversed polarity. Therefore, if you want to match the correct polarity using the 6514, you either have to re-pin the wires (stick a sharp pointy object down into the face of the plug, and unlatch the clip/wire from the actual plastic plug and swap what sides each wire goes to), or cut the ends off and put on new female blade plugs / screw around with making sure you got them going to the correct speaker connector / polarity. I had never re-pinned a harness before, and these Metra ones weren't hard.

IceyTys

Reaction score
The rear doors are full range front doors are not.
That's actually incorrect, I replaced my rear doors this weekend and I am getting nothing from the built in tweeters, just bass. I have the HK system, so its possible the Apline system or basic system send full range to the doors, but definitely not the HK system, as I was hoping to add more highs in the back with this switch.

IceyTys

Reaction score
The rear on the HK are crossed at about 600hz and are not full range. Wish they were.

I put in the infinity component 6x9s in the front. Bought them on Amazon for $99. Sold the tweeters and crossovers on eBay for $40. If you can do the same, it's a steal.

They sound really good and definitely increased the overall bass response. I had already opened a set of Infinity 3 way 6x9s for the rear otherwise I would have gotten a second set of components and matched up the front.
I did the same thing this weekend to find I am not getting highs from the 3 way Infinity components I installed in the rear.......definitely a better bass response, but for sure no highs are coming through the rear doors.... Assume you installed the Infinity Reference 9632xi in the front doors, yes? I am probably going to go that route too. Any fitment issues?

Damion

Reaction score
I replaced my door speakers and tweeters with the Mopar kicker upgrade. No complaints as of yet. I have the Alpine system

Users who are viewing this thread