5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever heard of this?

P Palmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I recently installed new speakers and a small powered sub similar to lrobbi. I tapped the front speaker leads to install the powered sub - Kicker 10” Hideaway. Also, I accidentally ordered the wrong Metra speaker wire adapters for the doors, so I went old school and cut off the oem plugs and butt-connected wires to the factory wiring in order to connect them.

After the installation, I noticed that the front power windows will not roll completely up in auto mode. I have to manipulate the window switches to stop about 1/4 of the way and re-engage the switch to get them to roll up properly. It does it on both front windows and both driver and passenger side switches. The rear windows work fine. At this point, I’ve only had the truck for a couple of weeks and hadn’t noticed anything peculiar like this before installing the speakers, but I can’t definitively say it wasn’t doing it before the install.

I had to take my truck back to the dealer to address the infamous A pillar leak and wanted them to check out my windows. They are saying my installation of the aftermarket speakers are what is causing my windows to act funny.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? My suspicion would be how I tapped the front speakers. Maybe I tapped the wrong wire? The sub works so I don’t think I tapped the wrong wire. Truck is 2020 1500 Big Horn with non-nav 8.4 with 6 speakers and ANC.

I’m willing to live with it if I have to because I’d rather have this quirk than not have bass!

Thanks in advance!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If you unplugged anything besides the speaker, you probably erased the memory and need to reinitialize things. That's a fancy way of saying let it relearn. I haven't had to do it on my truck, but when I worked at Toyota, it was pretty easy. Pull on the switch to close it and hold it for the count of five after it's at the top. This somehow lets it learn how much amperage or where it is or something to roll down in the event something gets in the way. Try it. If it works, let us know for future reference.

P Palmer

Reaction score
Thanks! I tried something similar to this with no luck, but I’ll try again when I get it back and report out.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you disconnect the wiring harness to the window switch when installing the speakers? If so it’s possible the switch needs to be reset. I am not sure what Rams reset procedure is, or if there is one for this model, but some switches you have to hold the switch down, let the window go all the way down, keep hold the switch for 10 seconds, then hold it up and keep holding for 10 seconds after it ups.

Edit: just saw something similar was posted above!

P Palmer

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the wiring harness to the window switch when installing the speakers? If so it’s possible the switch needs to be reset. I am not sure what Rams reset procedure is, or if there is one for this model, but some switches you have to hold the switch down, let the window go all the way down, keep hold the switch for 10 seconds, then hold it up and keep holding for 10 seconds after it ups.

Edit: just saw something similar was posted above!
I did not disconnect the switches while installing the speakers. I did disconnect the driver’s side after I noticed the quirk and re-connected it based on a thread I read on here. I’ll try your method when I get the truck back from the A pillar repair.

Thank you!

Edit: I’ve had to do this “relearn” on my Corvette windows when they would not close all the way and it worked. Maybe I’ll figure it out.

spark

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I recently installed new speakers and a small powered sub similar to lrobbi. I tapped the front speaker leads to install the powered sub - Kicker 10” Hideaway.

Sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that sub? I was interested in that one. And also, where did you end up mounting it?

P Palmer

Reaction score
Sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that sub? I was interested in that one. And also, where did you end up mounting it?
It definitely adds to the low end, but it's not going to rattle your fillings. For $350, I expected a little more. The Cerwin Vega is cheaper and I almost bought that one. I know lrobbi bought that one and seems happy with it. Mind you I had a kicker 12" in my last truck and I have 2 10's in my Corvette, so I'm a little spoiled.

I mounted it on the passenger side under the rear seat.

P Palmer

Reaction score
UPDATE:

So, I was able to resolve my mysterious issue with the window switches by taking the door panels back off and loosening my speakers. Not sure if I was pinching a wire or the back of my speakers were somehow interfering with a sensor. At any rate, I shimmed the speakers out with some washers and reinstalled the panels. All is good now!

Maybe this will help if anyone else encounters the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread