5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Sound System and 12" Nav Screen... are they 'worth it'???

RAL

Reaction score
Hello All.

New member here. I searched for discussions on the HK system, but didn't see an answer for my specific question. Apologies if it was shared somewhere.

So, I'm looking at a CPO 2021 Lararmie tomorow... with 34K miles on it, bed utility package, the HK sound system and the 12" Nav.
My man question is... is the HK system "worth it" to have, or is the Alpine 9 speaker system decent enough?? I've test driven a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine system and I thought it sounded pretty good... so I'm excited to hear the HK system.

I'll also be looking at a 2020 Laramie WITHOUT a HK system, half as many miles, with added running boards/tonneau/rear step for $1,000 less in asking price. Not sure which is the better route to go... obviously, not having seen or driven them yet. Just looking for thoughts ahead of time on how folks like the HK and the larger Nav screen. To me, the Nav almost looks "too big"... at least in photos of interiors.

Please share any/all thoughts if and when you can. Thanks!
I have both the large screen and the HK system. They are nice but hardly life altering. If I were looking for a used truck, I would prioritize condition, mileage, and service history over toys, assuming the prices are similar. If you are towing, I would prioritize the 3.91 rear end as it is useful. I also like the 33 gallon tank as it really helpful to extend your range while towing and also to give you better range generally when you are not towing. But all these trucks now are so well equipped it is not like you are going to wind up with n uncomfortable vehicle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
I have both the large screen and the HK system. They are nice but hardly life altering. If I were looking for a used truck, I would prioritize condition, mileage, and service history over toys, assuming the prices are similar. If you are towing, I would prioritize the 3.91 rear end as it is useful. I also like the 33 gallon tank as it really helpful to extend your range while towing and also to give you better range generally when you are not towing. But all these trucks now are so well equipped it is not like you are going to wind up with n uncomfortable vehicle. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry for the delay in posting/replying... hectic few days truck shopping.

I learned a lot over the weekend, and also had a frustrating experience from the dealership visited last Friday. Didn't buy either of the Laramies they had there. The one I was most interested in (2020 w/ 8/4") had a USB issue (perhaps previously mentioned... sorry), so I passed on it. Then they pull some pricing BS that I wasn't made aware of... so 'buh bye'.

Onto Saturday. We found, looked at, test drove a 22' Big Horn Sport Package and loved it. Only 4,400 miles... OEM Ram running boards, clean, bedliner, very nice. Only has the basic 6 speaker system... but like a brand new truck. Factory warranty good thru 3/2026... good to go!! So, yes... I prioritized value (the one I bought was pretty comparable to the Laramies, but no bells/whistles) over having toys, as RAL mentioned above. I'm happy with the purchase overall, very quiet smooth driving truck.

One last question, can someone point me to a thread (or threads) that explains what can and cannot be done in terms of audio system upgrades to this 2022 Big Horn that has the basic 6 speaker system in it? I did some reading, and see things about not being able to add a sub because of the ANC system in it... is that true??? I hope not, or I'm going to be wicked pissed. The basic system sounds 'ok', but not what I'm used to. It's pretty clear, but the highs are missing and definitely lacks 'punch', virtually no bass. 🙄

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Gregg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting/replying... hectic few days truck shopping.

I learned a lot over the weekend, and also had a frustrating experience from the dealership visited last Friday. Didn't buy either of the Laramies they had there. The one I was most interested in (2020 w/ 8/4") had a USB issue (perhaps previously mentioned... sorry), so I passed on it. Then they pull some pricing BS that I wasn't made aware of... so 'buh bye'.

Onto Saturday. We found, looked at, test drove a 22' Big Horn Sport Package and loved it. Only 4,400 miles... OEM Ram running boards, clean, bedliner, very nice. Only has the basic 6 speaker system... but like a brand new truck. Factory warranty good thru 3/2026... good to go!! So, yes... I prioritized value (the one I bought was pretty comparable to the Laramies, but no bells/whistles) over having toys, as RAL mentioned above. I'm happy with the purchase overall, very quiet smooth driving truck.

One last question, can someone point me to a thread (or threads) that explains what can and cannot be done in terms of audio system upgrades to this 2022 Big Horn that has the basic 6 speaker system in it? I did some reading, and see things about not being able to add a sub because of the ANC system in it... is that true??? I hope not, or I'm going to be wicked pissed. The basic system sounds 'ok', but not what I'm used to. It's pretty clear, but the highs are missing and definitely lacks 'punch', virtually no bass.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Gregg
Plenty of posts in the audio section of the forum. ANC can be disabled if needed.

RAL

Reaction score
Sounds like a really nice truck. Congrats and good luck with it! Funny you mentioned the liner and bed cover - I added those too and they are really useful as well. I bought the Mopar tri fold bed cover and it does a really nice job of keeping our horse related equipment perfectly dry when we need to have it with us. And the Linex liner sweeps out easily, or mops out after stall mucking. They are great trucks - so much nicer than what was available even 10 years ago.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Sounds like a really nice truck. Congrats and good luck with it! Funny you mentioned the liner and bed cover - I added those too and they are really useful as well. I bought the Mopar tri fold bed cover and it does a really nice job of keeping our horse related equipment perfectly dry when we need to have it with us. And the Linex liner sweeps out easily, or mops out after stall mucking. They are great trucks - so much nicer than what was available even 10 years ago.

Thank you. I've adding small things this week... as I continue to place orders from Amazon for it... like 8.4" screen protector, mudflaps, floor mats (have OEM set on order), locking lug nut set, LED strips for the bed, license plate covers.

It never ends! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hoping to get the front windows tinted and upgrade the speakers over winter. I've looked all over... I cannot find the 'audio' section for the 5th Gens. Can anyone assist? I'd like to keep the ANC enabled (I really think it works well), but would like to add a subwoofer at some point. I would think/hope I can.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you. I've adding small things this week... as I continue to place orders from Amazon for it... like 8.4" screen protector, mudflaps, floor mats (have OEM set on order), locking lug nut set, LED strips for the bed, license plate covers.

It never ends!

Hoping to get the front windows tinted and upgrade the speakers over winter. I've looked all over... I cannot find the 'audio' section for the 5th Gens. Can anyone assist? I'd like to keep the ANC enabled (I really think it works well), but would like to add a subwoofer at some point. I would think/hope I can.

This is a really nice solution. I might be looking into this too.

Last edited:

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the share vincent... that's a tad out of my price range to add some bass. Wow.

For now, I'm toying around with swapping out the (6) factory speakers... which I'm sure will improve the overall sound greatly. It's just deciding between like 10+ manufacturers!! If I could find 6x9's that put out "decent" bass... I'll forego getting a sub all-together as it seems like more of a PITA than it's worth in these new Rams. Ugh...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the share vincent... that's a tad out of my price range to add some bass. Wow.

For now, I'm toying around with swapping out the (6) factory speakers... which I'm sure will improve the overall sound greatly. It's just deciding between like 10+ manufacturers!! If I could find 6x9's that put out "decent" bass... I'll forego getting a sub all-together as it seems like more of a PITA than it's worth in these new Rams. Ugh...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
and hence...'is it worth it?' LOL! ...you've got plenty of time to sort it all out...plenty have the factory 6 and rolling along with smiles per miles :cool:

stax199

Reaction score
I had the 19 laramie with 1 2 inch an Hk it was pretty good. I now have a 22 laramie this truck 12 inch screen and HK seem to perform better llouder crisper overall with better bass and pretty much flawless screen experience. worth it

mynameisante

Reaction score

It never ends! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread