5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Sound System and 12" Nav Screen... are they 'worth it'???

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Hello All.

New member here. I searched for discussions on the HK system, but didn't see an answer for my specific question. Apologies if it was shared somewhere.

So, I'm looking at a CPO 2021 Lararmie tomorow... with 34K miles on it, bed utility package, the HK sound system and the 12" Nav.
My man question is... is the HK system "worth it" to have, or is the Alpine 9 speaker system decent enough?? I've test driven a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine system and I thought it sounded pretty good... so I'm excited to hear the HK system.

I'll also be looking at a 2020 Laramie WITHOUT a HK system, half as many miles, with added running boards/tonneau/rear step for $1,000 less in asking price. Not sure which is the better route to go... obviously, not having seen or driven them yet. Just looking for thoughts ahead of time on how folks like the HK and the larger Nav screen. To me, the Nav almost looks "too big"... at least in photos of interiors.

Please share any/all thoughts if and when you can. Thanks!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All.

New member here. I searched for discussions on the HK system, but didn't see an answer for my specific question. Apologies if it was shared somewhere.

So, I'm looking at a CPO 2021 Lararmie tomorow... with 34K miles on it, bed utility package, the HK sound system and the 12" Nav.
My man question is... is the HK system "worth it" to have, or is the Alpine 9 speaker system decent enough?? I've test driven a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine system and I thought it sounded pretty good... so I'm excited to hear the HK system.

I'll also be looking at a 2020 Laramie WITHOUT a HK system, half as many miles, with added running boards/tonneau/rear step for $1,000 less in asking price. Not sure which is the better route to go... obviously, not having seen or driven them yet. Just looking for thoughts ahead of time on how folks like the HK and the larger Nav screen. To me, the Nav almost looks "too big"... at least in photos of interiors.

Worth it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All.

I don't know if it's worth the $2,000 they add for it, but it's amazing. I've had the 12" screen before, but not the HK, until this truck, Just go to a local dealer and pretend you are interested in buying from them, and sit in a couple. I'm glad I got it this time.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well worth it. I had a Laramie with the Alpine system and it's decent. Now I have a Limited with the HK and wow, a great system.

I spent a few days in a BMW 7 Series last week and wouldn't you know...it has an HK system as well...

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Well... basically for 'worth its' in 4 responses, so I'll gladly take that for what it's worth tomorrow when viewing/listening/test driving. Thanks to all, especially the Metallica comment... I actually LOL'd!!🤘🤘

The two I'm looking at are Granite Crystal (no HK) and Diamond Black (w/ HK)... so having the system may even make the purchase even sweeter.

Quick note, the one time I was absolutely blown away... is when I heard a DynAudio system in a Volvo S80 AWD that I used to own. Jesus H that system was awesome. Everything... every tone and note were crystal effin' clear. Wow.

Thanks guys.🙏

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Well... basically for 'worth its' in 4 responses, so I'll gladly take that for what it's worth tomorrow when viewing/listening/test driving. Thanks to all, especially the Metallica comment... I actually LOL'd!!🤘🤘

The two I'm looking at are Granite Crystal (no HK) and Diamond Black (w/ HK)... so having the system may even make the purchase even sweeter.

Quick note, the one time I was absolutely blown away... is when I heard a DynAudio system in a Volvo S80 AWD that I used to own. Jesus H that system was awesome. Everything... every tone and note were crystal effin' clear. Wow.

Thanks guys.🙏
Well, you know my vote on the HK...and being diamond black makes it that much better. Though Im a bit biased ;)

IMG_4081.jpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the HK decision is clear, though I'll add my "yes" as well. I've also got a Laramie with the HK and the 12". For me both of these things were "nice to have", not on my must have list when buying. Now that I've had the 12" screen I've come to really like it and know I would miss not having it again.

23RAM

Reaction score
This a very subjective question - you need to hear it for yourself to determine if it's worth it. My home stereo is high quality and no vehicle will ever come close so I'm never impressed with stereos in cars, even aftermarket systems. Factory stereos have improved over the years, and the Alpine system in my RAM is decent, but I wouldn't pay extra for the HK system. The other must-have features are much more important to me.
the Nav almost looks "too big"
It's not too big, it does have a lot of display area, but also lots to show. In this case, I feel the 12" screen is a must-have feature and definitely worth it.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Again, thanks guys... for the quick response. All opinions/comments noted. All very good input, appreciated.

And that was supposed to read "main" question... not 'man' question.🤦‍♂️

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm very happy with mine. Seems like the HK sounds even better with windows down, sunroof open... which isn't always the case.

I didn't feel I needed the 12" screen, but not sure I could go back now.

😁👍🏻

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Worth is going to depend on your taste and how much you value the highest music quality you can get from a factory stereo.

In my 2017 Ram I had the Alpine system that was just OK, but the factory Bose system in my car blew it away. When I went shopping for a new truck the HK stereo was one of my must have options. It still does not sound quite as good as the GM Bose system in my car, but it is a significant improvement over the Alpine system in my last truck.

The large screen size wasn't one of my must have options but it just came on the truck. It's nice, but doesn't really add value beyond the smaller screen I had in my last truck.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely worth it!! The upgraded stereo was the one thing I wished I ahd in my Rebel. We have a jeep with the 9 speaker Alpine and I thought that was heads above the base Rebel...got the Limited and heck yeah that HK sounds better! The surround stereo mixing is incredible...GET IT

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Thanks again guys, definitely helps seeing all the 'thumbs up'. I know it's subjective, and I know car stereos (especially factory ones) can't compare to top end home audio systems... but I just appreciate a good sounding system while I'm driving. I need something to hold my attention, and cheer me up from having to deal with all the idiots on the roads nowadays... ugh.

Anyways, one more quick one... how big of a USB drive can the vehicle handle? I used an SD card in my 2016, but I see the newer trucks only do USB. Thank you again!!👊

23RAM

Reaction score
Anyways, one more quick one... how big of a USB drive can the vehicle handle? I used an SD card in my 2016, but I see the newer trucks only do USB. Thank you again!!👊
Forget USB...just put the music on your phone and stream it over BT. No sticks or cables, and it works the same. You can get thousands of songs on your average iPhone or Android device. Stick to 320kbps or better bit rates and it'll sound decent.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im pretty happy with my HK. im no audiophile and this is the first vehicle I have with more than 8 speakers so I'm pretty impressed, even with SiriusXM.

regarding the 12in... i believe 21 has UC4(?) so can't comment on it. I have the UC5 and even though it does has its quirks overall I'm happy with it. Even comes with wireless carplay!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I do not even need to read the post or responses to unequivocally say YES if you like to listen to music and enjoy ease of hands free operation.

I did not realize how drastic of a difference it was until I had a Warlok as a loaner the other week. Made me extremely glad I paid the premium when I bought mine

JOzzz

Reaction score
Both worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread