5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Sound System and 12" Nav Screen... are they 'worth it'???

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyways, one more quick one... how big of a USB drive can the vehicle handle? I used an SD card in my 2016, but I see the newer trucks only do USB. Thank you again!!đź‘Š

I'm not sure of the size limit, but I use a 32GB and it has 2800 songs on it. About half were downloaded and other half ripped from CD at 320 kbps.

Get the ultra compact thumb drive like the one below and it will not intrude at all.

Untitled.jpg

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Good news and bad news here. Drove 2+hrs to a dealership here in WI... to look at the 2 Rams mentioned in my OP. Overall, both were very nice pre-owned vehicles. I won't ramble on specifics, but both were nice. The 2020 had a 'USB error' issue, that once I looked it up on the way home... makes me kind of happy I didn't buy that one. Onto the 2021... I liked the HK system, but honestly, to my 50 year-old ears, I didn't hear much difference between it and the Alpine in the 2020. I had to stream through Spotify to be able to actually compare what I listened to in the other truck and besides the Alpine being a bit more 'bass heavy', both were very similar. The HK was very nice, don't get me wrong... perhaps I expected more. Long story short, the dealership was/is a 'best price' dealership, which I wasn't told... so that sucked to hear that after driving 2+hrs to get there.

So, I have some thinking to do tonight... and some reading up on this 'USB error' thing, which sounds like it's a temperature related issue from what I read on the way back. However, oddly enough... it was 55* here in WI, USB ports should be operating fine in that temperature. If anyone has any quick links to share here to save me some searching, please feel free to share. I know it's off-topic a tad, but thought I'd ask. They said they'd need to get a new USB hub approved and would have to install that... and they should, because this is a CPO vehicle and that should've been discovered. I think...

Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Good news and bad news here. Drove 2+hrs to a dealership here in WI... to look at the 2 Rams mentioned in my OP. Overall, both were very nice pre-owned vehicles. I won't ramble on specifics, but both were nice. The 2020 had a 'USB error' issue, that once I looked it up on the way home... makes me kind of happy I didn't buy that one. Onto the 2021... I liked the HK system, but honestly, to my 50 year-old ears, I didn't hear much difference between it and the Alpine in the 2020. I had to stream through Spotify to be able to actually compare what I listened to in the other truck and besides the Alpine being a bit more 'bass heavy', both were very similar. The HK was very nice, don't get me wrong... perhaps I expected more. Long story short, the dealership was/is a 'best price' dealership, which I wasn't told... so that sucked to hear that after driving 2+hrs to get there.

So, I have some thinking to do tonight... and some reading up on this 'USB error' thing, which sounds like it's a temperature related issue from what I read on the way back. However, oddly enough... it was 55* here in WI, USB ports should be operating fine in that temperature. If anyone has any quick links to share here to save me some searching, please feel free to share. I know it's off-topic a tad, but thought I'd ask. They said they'd need to get a new USB hub approved and would have to install that... and they should, because this is a CPO vehicle and that should've been discovered. I think...

Anyways, just wanted to share my thoughts.
I don't know about the USB thing, but you may not notice the difference on radio, due to broadcast signals not sending as much info as satellite. Try satellite, or MP3s, to get full signal. I still have the free satellite, and haven't tried radio really, and the sound is amazing.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Good point on the radio signal 6... that's why I wanted to atleast compare streaming thru Spotify, bit rates should be as high as MP3 (i.e. 320k) for that, not 100% sure. Even streaming was pretty comparable.

We might actually drive back up there tomorrow... (ugh) and buy it. It's got everything else I like on it. Just needs running boards and a tonneau, which I can do. The other one (2020) had a generic carpet (or piece of) that they called a 'bedliner'. That may work for somebody, just not me. And I'm sure a spray in bedliner cost $900+ nowadays...

Anyways, thanks again for the replies and input.

Rexx

Reaction score
I know OP has already gone and seen both vehicles and can make his own choice but I thought I’d just throw in my 2 cents.

The 12inch screen looks awesome and I was super pumped when I first got the truck with it but as time went on I really missed the physical buttons, especially for the heated steering wheel and heated/cooled seats.

If/when I buy another Ram I’d probably get the smaller screen if I could but I realize nearly all of them have the 12 inch screen these days so probably unlikely. I’m hoping maybe in a future redesign they’ll reintroduce some of the physical buttons they took away.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know OP has already gone and seen both vehicles and can make his own choice but I thought I’d just throw in my 2 cents.

The 12inch screen looks awesome and I was super pumped when I first got the truck with it but as time went on I really missed the physical buttons, especially for the heated steering wheel and heated/cooled seats.

If/when I buy another Ram I’d probably get the smaller screen if I could but I realize nearly all of them have the 12 inch screen these days so probably unlikely. I’m hoping maybe in a future redesign they’ll reintroduce some of the physical buttons they took away.
I shortcut the heating steering wheel and seats...as long as I still have the knob for radio volume and temp controls I am more than happy with the switch. I didn't think I needed the 12 inch screen either but came with the Limited...now I love it especially with being able to serve up multiple 'screens' at the same time. I feel lost going back to the 8.4 in the Cherokee

KPeak

Reaction score
Hello All.

New member here. I searched for discussions on the HK system, but didn't see an answer for my specific question. Apologies if it was shared somewhere.

So, I'm looking at a CPO 2021 Lararmie tomorow... with 34K miles on it, bed utility package, the HK sound system and the 12" Nav.
My man question is... is the HK system "worth it" to have, or is the Alpine 9 speaker system decent enough?? I've test driven a 2021 Laramie with the Alpine system and I thought it sounded pretty good... so I'm excited to hear the HK system.

I'll also be looking at a 2020 Laramie WITHOUT a HK system, half as many miles, with added running boards/tonneau/rear step for $1,000 less in asking price. Not sure which is the better route to go... obviously, not having seen or driven them yet. Just looking for thoughts ahead of time on how folks like the HK and the larger Nav screen. To me, the Nav almost looks "too big"... at least in photos of interiors.

Please share any/all thoughts if and when you can. Thanks!

Absolutely worth it, screen is amazing and great with CarPlay since it splits it in half, both halves are still large and easy to read. I’ve heard complaints about the HK system not being loud enough but maybe it was an issue for some but not all. The quality of the stereo and balance is great and when I crank it around 22-23 it’s still crystal clear. Only thing I’d like is a bit more bass, so maybe upgrading the sub at some point, but yeah pull the trigger you won’t be disappointed.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
So.... I found this interesting. Has anyone seen this listed in any descriptions???

I find it 'odd' that they be just for charging. Maybe the USB port in the console is the one "meant" for media playback??? Although all (4) in the 2020 Laramie we looked at yesterday were hosed up... with the 'USB error', so we couldn't do anything with them. The salesman said he could charge his phone with the port in the back seat, but I didn't see it to confirm.

Hmmm... 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Attachments

• USB.JPG
    USB.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 15

Brunzca

Reaction score

Having had both the 12” and now 8”, I agree with this. The 12” was super cool, and nice to look at, but I do really like the functionality of the physical buttons better. I love tech, but it’s easier to just have knobs when driving for some things.

as for Alpine vs HK, also had both, and have replaced both with after market equipment. The HK is better, if for no other reason than it has separate tweetersl. Definitely makes a difference, especially should you ever want to swap out speakers / upgrade later. But,,I thought the HK was better off the lot, as well.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Heading out shortly to look at a 2022 Big Horn... as the more I think about it, as nice as a big 12" screen would be, I don't need it. I, too, actually prefer the physical buttons over having to use the touch screen for everything. To each is own though. I get both opinions, just not something I "need" in a truck.

Seeing some of the Big Horns list a '6 speaker system'... does this mean, not even an Alpine?? I can't see the top of the dash in the one we're going to look at soon here. I didn't know there were so many levels of audio systems in these Rams. I guess Big Horns are different...

Sorry to go off topic here, just trying to gather as much info from folks that have/had these things. Thank you again you guys. đź‘Šđź‘Š

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heading out shortly to look at a 2022 Big Horn... as the more I think about it, as nice as a big 12" screen would be, I don't need it. I, too, actually prefer the physical buttons over having to use the touch screen for everything. To each is own though. I get both opinions, just not something I "need" in a truck.

Seeing some of the Big Horns list a '6 speaker system'... does this mean, not even an Alpine?? I can't see the top of the dash in the one we're going to look at soon here. I didn't know there were so many levels of audio systems in these Rams. I guess Big Horns are different...

Sorry to go off topic here, just trying to gather as much info from folks that have/had these things. Thank you again you guys. đź‘Šđź‘Š
Just FYI... take a look at the 12". There are still some physical buttons for controls, mostly climate controls, but you still have volume, etc. on the steering wheel. No volume knob, which is nice, but...

PM-Performance

Reaction score

You will still have all the buttons. There are quite a bit of extra functions you get with the bigger screen.
Again I did not realize until after I got a Warlock as a loaner.

JOzzz

Reaction score
Having had both in two different 5th gen rebels and a Cummins megacab, personal opinion, the 12” is nicer but the 8.4” is snappier. Passengers are usually more impressed with the 12” than I am, but I would still get it again which is why I have it now.

As far the 6 speaker base system, I’m sure upgrades to the speakers would make it better, but it’s pretty weak. I would at least get the Alpine unless you have no appreciation for fidelity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The USB error may have been due to the USB thumb drive error and not a problem with the truck. I've had thumb drives that would not work in my truck but would work in my car just fine. Also, I think they need to be formatted using a particular type of format....I believe FAT 16 or FAT 32. I've never seen temperature impact thumb drive performance in any of my last 3 trucks even if internal temperatures are well over 100.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI... take a look at the 12". There are still some physical buttons for controls, mostly climate controls, but you still have volume, etc. on the steering wheel. No volume knob, which is nice, but...
seriously - I had the 8.4 - never thought I needed a 12 - now that I have it why would I WANT an 8.4? What buttons exactly are missing that are so inconvenient? You still ahave to touch/push something and the 12 has almost infinite amount of shortcuts

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
The USB error may have been due to the USB thumb drive error and not a problem with the truck. I've had thumb drives that would not work in my truck but would work in my car just fine. Also, I think they need to be formatted using a particular type of format....I believe FAT 16 or FAT 32. I've never seen temperature impact thumb drive performance in any of my last 3 trucks even if internal temperatures are well over 100.
I think the 2 basic formats are FAT32 and NTFS. I haven't tried either one with my ubs ports.

But wth do i know, I just graduated from a flip phone to an I-phone6 lol

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
seriously - I had the 8.4 - never thought I needed a 12 - now that I have it why would I WANT an 8.4? What buttons exactly are missing that are so inconvenient? You still ahave to touch/push something and the 12 has almost infinite amount of shortcuts
You lose hard buttons for heated seats, that are there with 8.4. I miss them, but not life altering.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12” was worth it to me. The HK system…………………….meh. I am not impressed at all. If I had the time, I’d rip it all out and build a custom system. They sound soooo much better than anything factory. I still have two JL Audio amps and sub from my previous build. I just need to find the time to do the work.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
12” was worth it to me. The HK system…………………….meh. I am not impressed at all. If I had the time, I’d rip it all out and build a custom system. They sound soooo much better than anything factory. I still have two JL Audio amps and sub from my previous build. I just need to find the time to do the work.
A custom system will always sound better - if staying stock which sounds like OP is since he asked was it worth it pretty much is worth it if staying any level stock.

gliderpilot

Reaction score
On my 19 I said **** on the 12 inch screen, now I just bought a 24 and I kind of like it more every day LOL!!! Super large display for navigation is my best highlight!!!

Users who are viewing this thread