5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon Kardon Audio Quality

RedRiverRoyce

Reaction score
Tried to find a thread containing some sort of answer but didn't have much luck.
Anyone else a little disappointed in the harmon kardon sound? Don't get me wrong, it's clear.....but I can literally have a conversation with the person in the passenger seat with the volume all the way up. I had a 2016 Sport with the Alpine system that was so loud and I thought as expensive of an option the HK was the loudness would be comparable if not better than the Alpine.
Is the only option to upgrade every speaker and bypass the amp that is already in it? I'm not real familiar with audio so any help is appreciated. I would rather it be something simple but nothing is ever that easy lol

Nova

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with the Harmon Kardon system, and honestly it sounds amazing. I've never had any trouble with the volume, but I have seen others on this forum talk about a similar problem where it's not loud even maxed out.
Just to add a data point, I typically keep my system at around 8 or 9 volume, and going over 15 it starts getting painful. Max is 40 and i've never tried getting anywhere near that. I imagine at that volume all of my speakers would just explode.
Hopefully others that have faced what you're facing can chime in whether or not they've been able to resolve it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is the same as Nova's. I have never even approached full volume. Not sure I've even had it half way. What is your music source? I mostly listen to sirius xm. I have noticed on other cars that if I'm streaming through my phone, the phone volume affects the volume of the system in the car. Haven't streamed anything through my phone on my HK system yet to see it it behaves the same way.

And welcome to the forum. Please take some time to add your truck information to your sig. It saves other people from having to ask for details about your truck when you ask questions like this (y)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually drive, with all 4 windows down, and the radio on 20. When others are in the truck and the windows up, 8 might even be too loud. There is a difference in volume between HD radio and XM or non-HD stations. I notice the volume difference between those are about 4 or 5 on the volume dial.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 1500 HK is average at best. I’ve sat in a number of HK RAMs, and not one got close to being good. I tried to find one that was better, to get the dealer to deal with the low quality, but none of the many I tried were much better.

My wife’s 20 Volvo XC90 has the standard radio, and anybody with ears can tell it is far and away a better audio experience. SO much better, in so many ways, it’s criminal. My 03 Audi has a meh Bose system that is also much better. In fact, the last vehicle I had that sounded as muddled, boomy and uneven, was an Acura Integra.

With all due respect, I have not experienced a RAM 1500 HK that was worth half the cost....and the TSB update doesn’t do much. Those that think it sounds good, may not have heard what good really sounds like.
Volume hasnt been an issue for me, although different sources have different loudness.

ive since upgraded the speakers (Polks) but placement and amp limitations limit the benefit. Will live with this 1st world problem, but would not recommend spending the $ on the HK option.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 1500 HK is average at best. I’ve sat in a number of HK RAMs, and not one got close to being good. I tried to find one that was better, to get the dealer to deal with the low quality, but none of the many I tried were much better.

My wife’s 20 Volvo XC90 has the standard radio, and anybody with ears can tell it is far and away a better audio experience. SO much better, in so many ways, it’s criminal. My 03 Audi has a meh Bose system that is also much better. In fact, the last vehicle I had that sounded as muddled, boomy and uneven, was an Acura Integra.

With all due respect, I have not experienced a RAM 1500 HK that was worth half the cost....and the TSB update doesn’t do much. Those that think it sounds good, may not have heard what good really sounds like.
Volume hasnt been an issue for me, although different sources have different loudness.

ive since upgraded the speakers (Polks) but placement and amp limitations limit the benefit. Will live with this 1st world problem, but would not recommend spending the $ on the HK option.
As one of the people you just insulted with this post, maybe it's you who doesn't know what really good sounds like 😈

I'll be the first to admit that my ears aren't what they used to be. Too many years of working in loud environments without ear protection (80's and 90's). The HK system in my Limited sounds better to me than the Alpine system that was in the '20 Laramie I used to own. And for me that's all that matters.

Nova

Reaction score
Well we're getting into very subjective territory here, sound quality, but again, in my specific truck I am completely satisfied with the HK system. I've had a HK system in a 2014 Mercedes previously, which was amazing, and this one is almost on par.
My previous car was a 2016 Camaro 2SS, which had Bose system, and the RAM blows that one out of the water.
I also cross-shopped an F150 with the B&O, and that one is far worse than the HK.

You have to consider that you can really only compare the sound systems in the same class. A high-end system in a truck may not sound as good than an mid-range system in an S-Class, which is full of sound deadening and a different cabin layout.

In the truck segment, I haven't heard a factory system that is better than the Harmon Kardon in my Limited.

Also, quality of input source makes a huge difference. There is a notable difference between SirusXM and Carplay streaming. To me, Sirius does not sound good, and even bluetooth streaming from your phone sounds pretty low quality, but once you plug-in your phone and stream from that, that's when the sound system really shines. So I just unsubscribed from Sirius and always just stream Apple Music from my phone.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Alpine, and though it's supposed to be a "step down" from the HK...I freakin love the system.Yes, I did upgrade the 3 dash speakers, but honestly, it was plenty good even before i did that. I can't imagine not liking the HK if I had it in my truck.

dandar

Reaction score
I think Alpine is more balanced than HK. The HK in my limited is extremely bass heavy. I have it set at -5 and depending on a song it sometimes can still induce rattle in door panels. Having said that as far as loudness goes it is very loud. I normally have it near 1/3 up and at this volume it's too loud to hold a conversation.

RedRiverRoyce

Reaction score
Mine is the same as Nova's. I have never even approached full volume. Not sure I've even had it half way. What is your music source? I mostly listen to sirius xm. I have noticed on other cars that if I'm streaming through my phone, the phone volume affects the volume of the system in the car. Haven't streamed anything through my phone on my HK system yet to see it it behaves the same way.

And welcome to the forum. Please take some time to add your truck information to your sig. It saves other people from having to ask for details about your truck when you ask questions like this (y)

This is exactly my thoughts as well. It seems like every other car I get in is twice as loud. Like I said, the HK is clear but in my opinion what radio isn't clear when it sounds like half volume? I will be upgrading the amplifier first until I need to upgrade the speakers, but I mostly wanted to know how everyone else felt. Thank you all for the input!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What were you listening to (SXM, streaming from your phone, AM, FM)?
This is exactly my thoughts as well. It seems like every other car I get in is twice as loud. Like I said, the HK is clear but in my opinion what radio isn't clear when it sounds like half volume? I will be upgrading the amplifier first until I need to upgrade the speakers, but I mostly wanted to know how everyone else felt. Thank you all for the input!
A few people have mentioned an issue with the volume not being high enough but no one has answered the question I asked yesterday about what type of source they were listening to. If you stream from your phone, try turning up your phone volume. If you're listening to SXM or radio and the volume is too quiet you have a problem with your system. My HK system has no issues with volume. Same for my wife's truck.

RedRiverRoyce

Reaction score
It's the same either way for me. I typically stream from my phone and have noticed its slightly louder when listening to sirius xm/HD radio but i've exhausted every avenue i could as far as my settings go on my phone/radio. It could just be what some call a bad apple and it be the system itself.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I guess I fall into that category that thinks the HK system is pretty good, so I must not know good sound. My last car was a BMW 4 series with the HK system. It sounded awesome and the sub was under each seat making the bass closer to the listener. Before that, I had the F150 and it's audio was ehhh. My 2006 Silverado had the Bose system and it sounded awesome. People with aftermarket systems were amazed that the factory system sounded so good.

My HK sounds pretty good. Especially when I can turn it up. As was mentioned, the source may be the determining factor in your audio experience. One station in Orlando broadcasts in HD and sounds awesome. Other HD stations don't sound that great. Bluetooth audio isn't that great, but my son will stream Spotify and it sounds as good as the one Orlando HD station.

I did listen to the Alpine system before I bought this truck and I was set that it was sufficient for me, but then I opted for the 12" screen and the HK was the only option when I purchased. Maybe just the speakers need replacing. I don't know.

RedRiverRoyce

Reaction score
89E78BEA-2869-42F5-BC56-809A4F3610ED.png
For anyone who thought I was crazy, my radio is twice as loud as it was. Also have another 31 flashes to go. Be sure to have them check your truck for updates when they go into the service department or they won’t do it!! 😁

Attachments

• F1CBE4E5-C860-4536-8136-D39E3CB36ED6.png
    F1CBE4E5-C860-4536-8136-D39E3CB36ED6.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 36

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the HK system and I’m not pleased with it at all. Very disappointing for the cost. My previous truck (2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins) had a Pioneer/JL Audio/Focal custom built system, and it was incredible. I really miss it. I know it’s not a fair comparison (factory vs aftermarket), but I’m just really disappointed in the HK system.

milchuck

Reaction score
Well we're getting into very subjective territory here, sound quality, but again, in my specific truck I am completely satisfied with the HK system. I've had a HK system in a 2014 Mercedes previously, which was amazing, and this one is almost on par.
My previous car was a 2016 Camaro 2SS, which had Bose system, and the RAM blows that one out of the water.
I also cross-shopped an F150 with the B&O, and that one is far worse than the HK.

You have to consider that you can really only compare the sound systems in the same class. A high-end system in a truck may not sound as good than an mid-range system in an S-Class, which is full of sound deadening and a different cabin layout.

In the truck segment, I haven't heard a factory system that is better than the Harmon Kardon in my Limited.

Also, quality of input source makes a huge difference. There is a notable difference between SirusXM and Carplay streaming. To me, Sirius does not sound good, and even bluetooth streaming from your phone sounds pretty low quality, but once you plug-in your phone and stream from that, that's when the sound system really shines. So I just unsubscribed from Sirius and always just stream Apple Music from my phone.
Same here on quality. Sirius isn't that great so I typically stream Amazon Music or my play list on thumb drive.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound is a funny thing. People hear differently because of differences in the physical make-up of the ear and how the brain converts the sound.

Many years ago I worked for a company called Heathkit as a technician. I worked on everything from fish spotters, TVs, radio transmitters, receivers, and their full range of test instruments. Heath made some very well respected audio amps back then (AR-15, AR-1500), but I always hated working the audio bench because there were folks that could hear things I couldn't. Even using a spectrum analyzer I couldn't SEE things that some would hear.

To say audio quality is subjective is an understatement.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052936 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread