5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harmon/Kardon 19 speaker in MY 2022

Bigbags85

Reaction score
The bass in mine seemed a little underwhelming until this latest update and factory reset. Now it's almost too much, idk what happened (probably during the reset) but wow what a difference!

wsutard1

Reaction score
I know that the bass hits a lot harder on my HK system when using Bluetooth rather than the USB. Bass is almost non-existent when using the USB....
That’s interesting. I’m going to give it a try. I normally just Carplay.
I did figure out that there is a massive sound quality disparity between Spotify and Apple Music with Apple Music being superior.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
The bass in mine seemed a little underwhelming until this latest update and factory reset. Now it's almost too much, idk what happened (probably during the reset) but wow what a difference!
The latest 23.13prod update turned my HK Surround Sound Off after update (not sure about the base/treble, ect settings), but I have Not done the Factory Reset and probably won’t because everything that I presently use works properly. Unsure if any other changes to HK were in the update.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
The latest 23.13prod update turned my HK Surround Sound Off after update (not sure about the base/treble, ect settings), but I have Not done the Factory Reset and probably won’t because everything that I presently use works properly. Unsure if any other changes to HK were in the update.
idk if there were any changes to HK actually done in the update but my weather and some other things never worked that's the only reason I did a reset. Saw a thread where after reset everything worked for people and figured I'd try it.

Tika

Reaction score

Edit: keep in mind that you need to eliminate as many variables as possible when you’re testing audio, or you will not be getting true results. This is referring mostly to audio quality. Downloading whatever song to a phone/mp3 player and using it wired or using a cd is preferable. If you use an app and/or stream wirelessly, you are subject to network quality issues and audio compression/bitrate variability.
exactly........i have the HK system and depending some sound pretty good and some whateves.....was expecting more from premium system tbh but seems I am usually disappointed when buying products that are marketed higher than wht they really are

for sure the source of music is critical.......havent tried a source thru usb yet, only sirius and FM.......better than my 21 silverado for sure but still bit disappointed

mike146

Reaction score
Does anyone know the max size usb drive that works with uconnect 5?

Also, does it read files other than mp3, such as flac or wav?

Squatch79

Reaction score
That’s interesting. I’m going to give it a try. I normally just Carplay.
I did figure out that there is a massive sound quality disparity between Spotify and Apple Music with Apple Music being superior.
I will say that I am using Apple Music as well. Not tried to Spotify but from what I hear on here, it sounds like crap.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
If you don’t have bass coming from the HK system then something is wrong. It is very bass heavy, almost too much. The woofer isn’t the best in the world so certain bass notes feel “weird”. Some songs are just amazing, others muddled. All depends on the bass notes.
I personally like the sound from the Surround Sound better than non surround.
Anyone used to aftermarket systems will immediately tell that this is a OEM system. Although, it’s the best OEM system I have ever heard.
I agree on the bass level with the HK - it's very thumpy and I had to back the bass off a bunch.

Gitter

Reaction score
For most streaming services, you can now change the audio quality, so don't forget to change it. With unlimited cell plans now, there is little reason not to.

I set Spotify to "very high" quality and it sounds good when connected with USB (via Android Auto).

wsutard1

Reaction score
For most streaming services, you can now change the audio quality, so don't forget to change it. With unlimited cell plans now, there is little reason not to.

I set Spotify to "very high" quality and it sounds good when connected with USB (via Android Auto).
Test out Apple Music. I had Spotify on the highest setting possible and there is no comparison. It’s like I was listening to different music.

Gitter

Reaction score
Test out Apple Music. I had Spotify on the highest setting possible and there is no comparison. It’s like I was listening to different music.

From what I have read, Apple Music only has lossless music on select songs, otherwise it's usually streaming at 256kbit/s. Either way, most people with minor hearing loss (like me) can't hear the difference between 320kbit/s (which Spotify uses at the highest setting) and lossless audio - unless you have hifi audio components at all levels.

Plus, my family and I have no desire to switch and get into Apples eco system. I think my teenager daughter would kill me if I made her lose her playlists. 😄

Either way, I just wanted to remind everyone to try out the higher streaming quality in whatever service they are using before they tweak the stereo setup.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Installed two kicker speakers from Crutchfield in my 2022 1500 DT with HK stereo - sounds way cleaner! The treble was ear piercing and this made that way more reasonable and added some bass to the front! Sounds super good with the surround sound IMHO.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another one I've heard recently is Way 2 sexy by Drake. Pressurizes my whole cabin with the alpine system. 😬
Tried all three of these in my truck today (Alpine as well). Not my style of music, but they do show off the stereo pretty well.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried all three of these in my truck today (Alpine as well). Not my style of music, but they do show off the stereo pretty well.
I just use those to test stuff out, not really my cup of tea either, but they work. Listen to Symphony Hall on sxm, sounds really good with the alpine.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just use those to test stuff out, not really my cup of tea either, but they work. Listen to Symphony Hall on sxm, sounds really good with the alpine.
I've just been playing Tool on YouTube music around town, but I do have that channel saved for road trips.

Wish I could find my old "sub test" CD from high school. Had a pair of Kicker 15s in the trunk and the local cops knew my car well lol.

wsutard1

Reaction score
I've just been playing Tool on YouTube music around town, but I do have that channel saved for road trips.

Wish I could find my old "sub test" CD from high school. Had a pair of Kicker 15s in the trunk and the local cops knew my car well lol.
I bet those are on one of the music services! Personally I’d hate to hear this system playing a bass test song. These speakers aren’t that great…they are great for factory, but not for that.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bet those are on one of the music services! Personally I’d hate to hear this system playing a bass test song. These speakers aren’t that great…they are great for factory, but not for that.
Not actual bass test songs. My old "sub test" CD was just songs from Dre, Three 6, etc. Just anything with good bass that hit.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Not actual bass test songs. My old "sub test" CD was just songs from Dre, Three 6, etc. Just anything with good bass that hit.
This song is amazing on the HK system.
Daft Punk, Doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread