5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon too much bass

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a thread on here where stuffing the sub is discussed. They talk about back seat removal/access also. I tried to use the horrible search engine to find it for you and got frustrated.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's your audio source? SiriusXM, CD, streaming from another device...like a phone from a source like Pandora?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember SiriusXM real condensed mp3 sound. I use Tidal for good sound combined with ease of use.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SiriusXM sounds like crap and the bass is boomy and muddled, likely due to an overly compressed satellite signal.

I find I'm steaming Pandora much more often because it sounds so much better. I'm considering going to a larger phone data plan rather than subscribing once the complimentary year is up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kidder

Reaction score
This thread has me second guessing the amp update. I guess I should go to the dealer and listen to a truck that has been done.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Bass all the way down and with balance shifted half way forward. The more forward you shift it, the less bass it produces. All the way forward sounds horrible... So mid way seems like a good compromise.

This is exactly what I had to do to get the bass under control.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, I feel like an idiot for not noticing....I had 4 updates done on 12/20 and had only paid attention to the Hybrid Control Processor HCP, TCP, and PCM Updates. But, right here on my invoice...19 Speaker Amplifier Enhancment. Well just shoot me!! I guess this is what caused the issue. Guess they over enhanced.

I've been perfectly happy with my sound system and then they did this to me. I was thinking I was losing my mind. This sucks.

Anyone know if they can rollback these updates? I want to go back.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just goes to show you can't please everyone. The posts with complaints about lack of bass and praise for the enhancement update vastly outnumber those who now dislike it! I've personally tested the HK system with an Audio Analyzer and it does have too much bass with the EQ set at all zeros. I found that the following settings yield a fairly uniform response.

Bass -8
Mid -2
High 0 to +2

Anyone that wants more or less bass simply prefers it as a matter of taste. Yes the sub has a boomy characteristic like most shallow mount subs have. Stuffing the enclosure with polyfill helps according to some.

I finally found the thread that outlines accessing the sub and stuffing with polyfill to dampen the response.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/sub-woofer.1885/

Interesting read on polyfill in subs and why it works.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/7168-a-technical-understanding-of-polyfill/

I haven't done this but from reading, it would seem that placing "too much" polyfill in the sub would decrease the volume and reduce "boominess" (dampening) for those complaining of too much bass. The "right amount" would enhance the low frequencies.

Last edited:

sswails1

Reaction score
The system before the update was very well balanced, just needed a tad more volume, not distorted bass. Most people like distortion and simply don’t realize what a truly balanced system sounds like.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for fun, I folded up a shipping blanket and stuffed it behind the back seats. It is directly behind the rear seat cushions all the way across and covers the sub speaker.

The result is tighter bass that is probably 6db quieter. Less boom, more balanced.

Y'all might want to experiment with this. It took 5 minutes. It can't be seen behind the seat.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Literally trying this out now. I folded the seat forward but getting into the sub still looks challenging and more than I'm in the mood for today.

Going to try the blanket and then contact the dealer in Wednesday to discuss other solutions. Hoping they can put my system back where it was. I had no complaints. They just did all these because they were available. I'll be more careful in the future.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the blanket, I'm running the Bass at -2 where I was at -8 before. Mids are at -2 Treble +2. Balance at 20-25% to the rear.

I'm letting the front carry the highs more by boosting them then fading rearward a bit. The back has very little highs relative to the front.

You may be surprised how much more balanced it is.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I've been balancing more toward the front. I'll try going to the rear and see. I put 2 packing blankets in there. 1 behind the seat and another under and up in toward the middle to ensure I got it fully blocked. Definitely makes a difference. Don't love it, but much more toned down. Took it out for a couple mile loop and it's certainly better.

I almost wish I could just disconnect the thing entirely.

sswails1

Reaction score
After changing out the 3.5 JBLs I had to the much higher sensitivity of the Hertz 3.5’s, I was able to raise my bass and mid back up. Seems after the amp update, the fronts couldn’t keep up with bass.

After more messing around I’m at -1 bass, flat on mid and +2 on the treble. The JBLs would get real harsh beyond -2 mid and anything above flat on the treble to my ears. I had to keep the bass around -6 to -7.

To me the sound is fuller now. With the bass cranked down it didn’t sound right. Missing the Low end to male voices.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have mine set at bass -6 mid +2 treble or highs +2. I think it's perfect
Funny because before I saw this I just set mine to exactly those numbers. Its definitely more tolerable but still not great compared to pre update sound quality. I wish I left mine alone but the volume issue was driving me crazy. I do mostly highway driving and wanted the volume boost. Oh well.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
After driving around the last day with packing blankets stuffed in and around the back seats, I've decided to take it back into the dealer. I've compiled a list of all the posts I can find where people have had the exact same complaints as myself. It's 3 pages long and they all pretty much mimic the same complaint I'm having with overpowering bass. Thinking it might be good to have reference material for them to read to fully explain it from different points of view. Just wanting to lay it all out and be as descriptive as possible.

Any other suggestions for how to best explain this issue? I already called and discussed it with the SA over the phone and he said they can't just "rollback" an update, but that I'd just have to bring it in and let them hear it to ensure something else might not have gone wrong.

Figure it's a start and probably the best I can do at this point. It just sounds sooooo bad to me. To the point I just turn the radio off and just do without.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After driving around the last day with packing blankets stuffed in and around the back seats, I've decided to take it back into the dealer. I've compiled a list of all the posts I can find where people have had the exact same complaints as myself. It's 3 pages long and they all pretty much mimic the same complaint I'm having with overpowering bass. Thinking it might be good to have reference material for them to read to fully explain it from different points of view. Just wanting to lay it all out and be as descriptive as possible.

Any other suggestions for how to best explain this issue? I already called and discussed it with the SA over the phone and he said they can't just "rollback" an update, but that I'd just have to bring it in and let them hear it to ensure something else might not have gone wrong.

Figure it's a start and probably the best I can do at this point. It just sounds sooooo bad to me. To the point I just turn the radio off and just do without.
I fear you will not convince them the sound is "wrong". You are in the minority in your preference for hearing music with "less bass". I'm a musician and pro-audio engineer and I understand your preference. People today want an exaggerated bass response. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I fear you will not convince them the sound is "wrong". You are in the minority in your preference for hearing music with "less bass". I'm a musician and pro-audio engineer and I understand your preference. People today want an exaggerated bass response. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
I am with you guys. The bass is muddy and overpowering. The EQ leaves little room for adjustment. Given there is no way to change it we all have to live with it I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread