5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harman Kardon too much bass

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I've turned it down all the way and it still thumps. To me, it just doesn't sound very good and overpowers everything else. Even with the volume down low it continues to thump disproportionately loud.

I've read a few other posts but not found any solutions. Thinking of trying something to deaden the sound. Might try shoving a pillow behind the passenger rear to try to muffle it some more.

First vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't allow you to fully control and turn off bass. Very strange.

Anyone found a way to truly turn it down or even off entirely?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could it be a problem with the active noise cancellation system? Have heard other members complain of a booming sound. Maybe check out those threads to see if their description of the sound matches up with what you’re hearing.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Nah. Nothing like that. It's just too much bass. Some songs worse than others. Sucks that turning bass all the way down doesn't actually turn it off.

Its not horrible... It's just not great and sometimes it's just not what I want to hear and disappointing that I can't turn it off entirely.

I'm in the camp of other folks going they release an update to give us more control over the equalizer.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Also, I have a December builds with all updates. Just got 4 last week to bring me fully up to date.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried boosting Mids and High to make the Bass lower?

BASS -12
MIDS +12
HIGHS +12

Very unusual but might please YOUR ears.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be mean but I think I’ve found someone older than me on this forum!
Not your usual complaint it’s usually the other way. Lol

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Ha! Just 40... But I prefer clarity and quality over quantity in this instance.

No, I've not tried boosting the other 2 all the way up. Will give it a shot.

My wife's Audi Q7 with Bose has a separate sub and it sounds amazing... So maybe I'm just spoiled.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have too feel there is a bit too much bass in my HK system, more so after the amp update, I have played with the EQ for what it is, just not enough adjustability.

Experimenting, I have found that certain sat. Radio channels broadcast more bass than others.

I have also turned off the setting that increases volume as speed increases. It seems to have helped a little.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Exactly the same here. Glad I'm not alone.

I'll try with windows down and see if any different, but in think it's just how it is. It's just too bass heavy and not enough adjustment.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And if ithe bass response is better with the windows down, not going to be a good “fix” for me. I don’t travel much with them down.

Heck I don’t even use fast food drive thru service.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I ask about the sound with the windows down is related to Active Noise Cancellation. Rolling the windows down disables ANC, so if rolling the windows down has any effect maybe that’s something to look at. Just speculation on my part.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I just got back after a quick trip with the family. Couldn't roll the windows down.. Bit cold out, but I did run the mid and treble all the way up and that actually does help a little. Doesn't sound too horrible. I'll try the windows down later when I got back out. It still thumps though.

Pretty sure it's not noise cancellation, it's just really sucky bass and is disproportionate to the rest of the system.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s boomy one of the things I did in my Hellcat which has the 2 tens in the trunk was pull the drivers and put some batting in the enclosure. Took away a lot of the slop made it sound better. Very easy and cheap mod. Good luck

Rototerrier

Reaction score
This seems like a good idea. I've looked around and can't quite figure out how to gain access to that sub behind the passenger rear. I found it and can feel up behind there and feel the speaker...but can't seem to see how the seat moves to gain access.

Also, what "batting" would you recommend? I'm willing to give it a try. If I could just dampen it a little, I think I'd be perfectly satisfied.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used some the stereo shop I deal with used in sorry I don’t know the actual name it just looked like a big piece of white puff ball. I have also seen the foam like from a gun case used as well

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I used some the stereo shop I deal with used in sorry I don’t know the actual name it just looked like a big piece of white puff ball. I have also seen the foam like from a gun case used as well

Ok. I'm sure I can find something. I think I might just shove a couple pillows back there in the meantime just to see if it does something. But, I probably still need to gain access to the speaker so it can be covered from the front and sides and in and around the trim/covering over the top of it. Since it's such a low frequency, I'd imagine it won't do much good unless it's thoroughly surrounded with dampening material. Just covering the front is probably not going to do much good as the sound will still be going back against the cab and around.

Shame they just didn't build in more control. Sucks that I have to even consider a mechanical fix to a simple software based solution. Being a software developer myself, these kinds of things irk me. They should have just been a little more thorough in developing that particular set of controls inside the uconnect system.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Made a big improvement. There a lot of lack of control with these stock stereo systems. I know they say 900w etc. But if you use equipment like I do in my boats etc. (JL AUDIO) it’s night and day. You really can not compare. Actually I just picked up my speakers to change out the crap alpine or Dodge has put in my front dash
EFA0D96B-DAA3-4826-A984-2B9296433D29.png

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Drove when windows down and heard no difference.

I played around and finally got something reasonable acceptable. Bass all the way down and with balance shifted half way forward. The more forward you shift it, the less bass it produces. All the way forward sounds horrible... So mid way seems like a good compromise.

Will need around with trying some sound deadening as well... But this works for now.

Hopefully they'll eventually update the software to give us more control.

After really paying attention today, I think my biggest issue is that the bass sound just sucks and I want to turn it way down so I don't have to hear so much if it. If it sounded better I probably wouldn't mind it being louder.

Even with the volume low, you can tell the bass is still over powering and not in harmony with the highs.

I know sound is subjective... Which is why it should be more customizable.

Users who are viewing this thread