5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

harman kardon is nothing than a bag of trash

what is your bass setting?

• Total voters

Daytona952

Reaction score
I have the HK system in my limited and it sounds really good for car audio. I refuse to stream music as it generally blows quality wise. I use thumb drives loaded with FLAC files.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Okay, so after posting on this thread yesterday I discovered that my 2019 Laramie falls into the production numbers where TSB 08-123-18 has been released to flash the firmware on the radio/amp package. I'm going to have that done as soon as it's feasible and then edit my previous post once the system is working the way FCA originally intended.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And see, I think the opposite. My previous truck was a 2015 Chevy Colorado with the Bose system. Man, I loved that stereo! To me, the Harman Kardon is all bass, SO MUCH MID, and very weak (and mid-rangey) treble. And that 3-band EQ isn't an eq...it's just a suggestion box.

My fear is that it will be impossible to adjust to my liking without $$$$.
Disconnect the sub and the EQ becomes much more usable and less of a suggestion. Just don't expect deep bass.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Okay, so after posting on this thread yesterday I discovered that my 2019 Laramie falls into the production numbers where TSB 08-123-18 has been released to flash the firmware on the radio/amp package. I'm going to have that done as soon as it's feasible and then edit my previous post once the system is working the way FCA originally intended.

As a quick update, after having lived with the system for a bit longer now I can truly and honestly say that this sound system sucks. I am still going to give it a shot by having the dealer update the firmware during my next visit. But man...it stinks. A couple of months from now I'll either be singing the praises of that TSB or I'll be arming myself with knowledge about speaker and component upgrades.

What's worse, as of yesterday I'm getting this insane low frequency hum coming from the speakers at startup. Apparently the noise-canceling system thinks I am flying on a 737...

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got no issues with the Harmon Larsen upgrade. If your looking for an upgrade grab a stealth box and a good amp. This will make the system deafening

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was wondering if the HK was worth the extra money. I have the Alpine in my current truck and it’s not too bad. My truck on order has the same. Way better than stock stereos from years ago. Guess if I want true quality I would spend the money on a high dollar aftermarket setup. No factory system will touch those.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if the HK was worth the extra money. I have the Alpine in my current truck and it’s not too bad. Way better than stock stereos from years ago. Guess if I want true quality I would spend the money on a high dollar aftermarket setup. No factory system will touch those.
Plenty of us are happy with our HK systems. It depends on how much of an audiophile you consider yourself, and what you're willing to spend on a sound system. In comparing the Alpine with the HK, I've owned both. And I like the HK more. I consider it money well spent.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if the HK was worth the extra money. I have the Alpine in my current truck and it’s not too bad. My truck on order has the same. Way better than stock stereos from years ago. Guess if I want true quality I would spend the money on a high dollar aftermarket setup. No factory system will touch those.
Been very happy with my Alpine, but I'm half deaf and not planning on doing wine tastings and listening to smooth jazz in my truck.

jastevenson

Reaction score
The HK is a perfectly good system marred by an utterly garbage subwoofer.

If anyone is able to get a TSB or something else to fix the ludicrously bad sub, please be sure to make a follow up post on this thread!

thedream829

Reaction score
The HK is a perfectly good system marred by an utterly garbage subwoofer.

If anyone is able to get a TSB or something else to fix the ludicrously bad sub, please be sure to make a follow up post on this thread!

I have a 2020 so I guess the TSB doesn't apply to me. The subwoofer is an abomination and an atrocity to all that is music. Whoever at Dodge approved that subwoofer system for a highend sound system on such an expensive truck should be dragged out back and be shot twice in the head, and then be used as cattle feed.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Agree and agree with the last two posts because I didn't feel like going through 7 pages: the HK systems is pretty darn good for mid and highs, but the "subwoofer" (if we can call it that) is an absolute hunk of ****; abomination; terrible; worst thing I have ever had in the dozens of cars I have had. I am so disappointed with the bass.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want more bass than I suggest the stealth box. You will feel like your at a concert. You won’t be able to hear yourself scream.

thedream829

Reaction score
It's not the amount of bass. It's that the bass is a detestation to all that is sound. There is a special place in Hell for whoever approved that subwoofer leaving the factory.

mike146

Reaction score
I have a thumb drive full of Led Zeppelin, Frank Sinatra, 70s disco, Iron Maiden, Miles Davis, etc...
Had the truck less than a month, but have had no problems with HK system at all. Think so far the sound has been great.

I agree the software is not the best for personalization, but I am probably half deaf anyway.

I have the bass at +6, mids and highs at +2 and no complaints. Settings when it came from factory had bass all the way up and mid and high at 0.

Sound is different for everyone. To each your own.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
The HK system is definitely a decent factory system, with a few caveats I’ll explain:

First about me. My previous truck was a Tacoma that I installed a full-on custom sound system — full sound deadening, head unit, amps, component speakers, sub. It was the best audio system I’ve ever heard in a vehicle. I knew I’d sacrifice going to the HK system, but didn’t want to spend the time and money doing another full custom system.

I got my truck two months ago and was immediately very disappointed with the HK system. The main problem — I was listening to Sirius radio. Once I figured out the source was the primary issue, I loaded up a thumb drive with my entire music collection. Instantly much better. It was louder, more clear, and more detailed, but it still lacked high frequency detail and imaging.

A number of posts recommended replacing the two corner dash speakers with 3.5” Infinity 3032CFX. I did that today, and the difference is night and day. Most of the highs I had been missing were suddenly back. The improvement really surprised me.

I’ve read conflicting recommendations on whether or not to replace the center Dash speaker with the Infinity. I didn’t, primarily because I figured imaging would be better with crisp highs separated on the dash in the corners. Based on what I heard today I think that was the right call.

I won’t put this in the same category as the custom system in my Tacoma, but for a factory system with $70 worth of speaker swap, it’s entirely serviceable. And a lot cheaper. Now that the highs are back I noticed the low end is a bit muddy, and if you’re into hip-hop the sub won’t satisfy you. But for rock, jazz, and instrumental, it meets my needs. I might some day swap out some other speakers, but right now I don’t feel the need.

The speaker swap was very easy. Probably 45 minutes start to finish. Happy to give any installation advice. Bought it all on Amazon, speakers ($50) and wire adapters ($15).
@Desert Snow I am very late to this party but I would appreciate any installation advice on the speaker swap. TIA.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been very happy with my Alpine, but I'm half deaf and not planning on doing wine tastings and listening to smooth jazz in my truck.
I am with you. After 25 years in this job, as long as the Alpine is better than the ringing I hear, I am happy. I have had the Alpine in my Wranglers and test drove Ram's with the Alpine. I think I will be happy. The added expense for the HK seemed too expensive for me and I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Wine tastings in the truck....no. Maybe a flight of beers, parked in a field overlooking a mountain lake.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
The bass is the best part of the HK system.
I keep hearing that but some of us also report that there is NO BASS. I have updated Uconnect and gone through all the settings and my bass is turned up to the max and I still barely hear anything. Many others have reported the same thing while some people are report that theirs is TOO much bass. Therein is the other problem that they can't get this system consistent.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Trade it in on a Ford with their trash Sony systems then....

My HK sounds amazing, Best sounding system I've ever had in a vehicle, I've had them all. The HK in my 5th Gen sounds a million times more powerful than the Alpine system I had in my 4th Gen Laramie

That being said I will note my personal music on my flash drive and the FM radio sound WAY better than anything on Sirius sounds, xm has their **** so compressed it sounds terrible most of the time. But that is in noway a problem with the HK system
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread