5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard one piece tonneau for 5'7" bed with multifunction tailgate?

A71Rambler

Reaction score
Ok - first post here. Thank you all for the great resource.

I'm looking for a hard one piece tonneau cover for my new 1500 Laramie with the 5'7" bed AND multifunction tailgate. Does anyone know of one that will work? Maybe Mopar?

I've had Undercover Elite's in the past on both a Ram and Tundra - I called them and they do not have one that will work.

TIA for the help!

A71Rambler

Reaction score
Mopar = no dice. The one offered by Mopar is made by Leer and is not compatible with the MFT according to my local dealer.

Looks like the DiamondBack may work though.

A71Rambler

Reaction score
This is looking to be a bigger challenge than I anticipated.

After reviewing several threads here and on other forums I don't think the Diamondback will work either. I would be able to secure the middle section but the locking bars for the forward opening door would hit the factory braces in the front corners.

I am now thinking I will get an undercover and fabricate custom braces that go around the hinge bracket.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to swap tailgates? Ugh!

LouCap

Reaction score
It's not a hard one-piece, but after reviewing many options, I have found the Gator Hybrid to work with the MFT braces. It looks like a soft tonneau, but it has hard panels underneath. The first two sections to the rear fold toward the cab and can be secured to drive with the bed 66% open. If you want the one-piece because it needs to be waterproof, this tonneau sits on top of the rails and has a gasket all the way around. I live in Florida and we've had torrential rains almost every day since I got my truck back in June, and it has never leaked even a drop. Best of all, when I called to order they said I could return it if it didn't fit.

Last edited:

76cards

Reaction score
I just contacted gator and they told me that none of their covers fit the truck due to the brackets

A71Rambler

Reaction score
Update: finally got my Diamondback cover this week. Got it installed yesterday evening. Works great with the MFT. Kudos to DB for working this out. The brilliant part - they use the holes in the brace at the forward part of the bed for the locking rods.

LouCap

Reaction score
I just contacted gator and they told me that none of their covers fit the truck due to the brackets
And yet, I've had the Gator Hybrid on my truck since July. No modifications, and it fits fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Mandtz

Reaction score
I had some 3/8” thick brackets fabricated to replace the factory ones which seem over engineered.
The bolts that secure them are only 5/16” . Ordered them at Rightonbrackets.com from Pete.

Attachments

• AC1B7CFF-5E0C-452C-B149-8CD083C7BA45.jpeg
    AC1B7CFF-5E0C-452C-B149-8CD083C7BA45.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20926ABA-C853-46AC-A36C-BB24D3812F41.jpeg
    20926ABA-C853-46AC-A36C-BB24D3812F41.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 163

jcarcueva

Reaction score
I had some 3/8” thick brackets fabricated to replace the factory ones which seem over engineered.
The bolts that secure them are only 5/16” . Ordered them at Rightonbrackets.com from Pete.

What are the dimensions of the bracket? I'm still waiting for my 2020 Ram Sport with MFT to arrive and I'm thinking of having this prior to getting my truck.

Mandtz

Reaction score
What are the dimensions of the bracket? I'm still waiting for my 2020 Ram Sport with MFT to arrive and I'm thinking of having this prior to getting my truck.
The brackets are 3/8" thick, 2 1/2 " wide, 11" length on each side. Got them from rightonbrackets.com , ask for Pete. (503) 433-3406 He knows the whole story and is very responsive. They had them done and ship Capture.PNG brace pic 2.jpg brace pic.jpg ped out the same day.

KurnlReb

Reaction score
Kudos to A71Rambler...
I ran into the same MFT dilemma with limited tonneau options, so I appreciate you confirming the DiamondBack compatibility and posting pics to help with the decision. The cover looks great. No regrets.

Thanks!

82455A57-33AB-4692-A2F3-7CC238542074.jpeg
26D725CE-60AF-45DD-9469-2AE0F1575166.jpeg

SugarRaeRae

Reaction score
It's not a hard one-piece, but after reviewing many options, I have found the Gator Hybrid to work with the MFT braces. It looks like a soft tonneau, but it has hard panels underneath. The first two sections to the rear fold toward the cab and can be secured to drive with the bed 66% open. If you want the one-piece because it needs to be waterproof, this tonneau sits on top of the rails and has a gasket all the way around. I live in Florida and we've had torrential rains almost every day since I got my truck back in June, and it has never leaked even a drop. Best of all, when I called to order they said I could return it if it didn't fit.
Do you have RamBoxes?

Kooch80

Reaction score
where are you located in W. Washington? i wouldn't mind checking the cover out in person sometime if possible.

Black magic

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Retrax one tonneau will work. I know the RetraxPRO will work with low profile replacement brackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread