5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen Upgrade

DjS.

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my stock halogen headlights and wanted to get some input on the two brands I’m looking at. Morimoto XB and the VLand brand led headlights found on Amazon. Both look pretty decent to me it’s just I’m worried about the quality and don’t wanna spend a grand on headlights to replace them one year later. Please chime in with your thoughts. Thank you guys in advance.

CBCB771B-6FB6-4D74-8079-B36F24487312.jpeg 8DF2761C-C986-4D5B-BED1-46D1C758167D.jpeg

Code2medic

Reaction score
I have tested almost every led bulbs out there and ended up learning one thing pay once cry once

in my 07 mustang I have GTR led bright as hell 3 years on the bulbs
In my 2008 4Runner with projectors i ditched his and whet with gtr led bulbs they have bee in in the truck now for 5 years
In my 2011 4Runner same thing gtr bulbs I forgot the brand they were under when I got them it seems as it gtr bought them out. Wait I just remembered them the sv4 led bulbs those things are wonderful

tip make sure what every led bulbs you get have the adjust for the bulb itself.... it allows you to rotate the bulb in order to match the factory bulbs so you’re not blind et on Mars

look up gtr lighting on the web and on YouTube they actually show comparisons etc very very extensive

BUT.... and there is a huge BUT they are in fact not cheap by any means expect to pay 150 to 200 for a set

yes expensive but you get what you pay for and honestly what’s your life and truck worth to you

Code2medic

Reaction score
The last picture is the light output from one bulbs from a 07 mustang gt in the factory headlight

Attachments

• 956CB249-A9BD-4004-9908-13C843CA7160.jpeg
    956CB249-A9BD-4004-9908-13C843CA7160.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 1E78834E-2D10-4339-8A98-0A58FFACEEF4.jpeg
    1E78834E-2D10-4339-8A98-0A58FFACEEF4.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 7756CD86-5DBF-46D0-90FA-EF82DE0EC41F.jpeg
    7756CD86-5DBF-46D0-90FA-EF82DE0EC41F.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57

ironox

Reaction score
I bought the Morimoto XB's from Headlight Revolution (they and The Retrofit Source have a special running until 2/28/21) and have had no issues. They have the same feel of the factory headlights, not a cheap feel at all. Bright, great cut-off line, sequential turn signal, and easy to adjust the vertical beam.

Attachments

• Nova.jpg
    Nova.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Nova 1.jpg
    Nova 1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 146

Code2medic

Reaction score
I bought the Morimoto XB's from Headlight Revolution (they and The Retrofit Source have a special running until 2/28/21) and have had no issues. They have the same feel of the factory headlights, not a cheap feel at all. Bright, great cut-off line, sequential turn signal, and easy to adjust the vertical beam.
Cool but I’m sorry I can’t process spending 40 grand plus on a truck just to drop another 1400 on buying new headlights that makes not sense at all to me especially it you got the LED headlights to begin with.

ironox

Reaction score
Cool but I’m sorry I can’t process spending 40 grand plus on a truck just to drop another 1400 on buying new headlights that makes not sense at all to me especially it you got the LED headlights to begin with.
Mine came stock with Halogen. I also got rear and interior led upgrade for no additional cost (they're running a special). The led highlights make a huge difference.

I'm sorry if it makes no sense to you. I'm an empty nester, have a good job and can afford it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Code2medic

Reaction score
Mine came stock with Halogen. I also got rear and interior led upgrade for no additional cost (they're running a special). The led highlights make a huge difference.

I'm sorry if it makes no sense to you. I'm an empty nester, have a good job and can afford it.

I never said I couldnt afford it either and I don’t have any female draining my account either we won’t get into the cost and drama that comes with that.
My point I would have just got the factory LED everything to begin with 😂.

Last edited:

ironox

Reaction score
I never said I could afford it either and I don’t have any female draining my account either we won’t get into the cost and drama that comes with that.
My point I would have just got the factory LED everything to begin with .
Unfortunately, the only 4x4 night edition with 12" Uconnect trucks I found at the time all had halogen.

For $1350 + tax, I got the entire front (headlight, parking, turn and drl), rear (brake, reverse, cargo, and third brake), and interior (six bulbs +/=). I contemplated buying bulbs, but that would have cost me around $900 +tax. Additionally, the headlight bulbs may or may not have a good (and legal) cut-off line. So the extra was minimal.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
I bought the Morimoto XB's ... They have the same feel of the factory headlights, not a cheap feel at all. Bright, great cut-off line, sequential turn signal, and easy to adjust the vertical beam.
Shame on you for not taking pictures either! Humph!!

Mirowpl

Reaction score
So, if you don’t want to spend on the LEDs, what upgrades bulbs has anyone used to improved the front headlight?

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I went with the Ultra 2 LED High Beam Bulbs - they are awesome! They are so bright it's hard to read street sings sometimes because of the power of the reflection.

Also went with the Ram LED Front Turn Signal Upgrade Kit - they can switch from orange to white or just orange. I love these as well, but if you have your flashers on for very long they overheat and quit working. The eventually reset, but you get a "turn lamp out" warning when they overheat. I was not real happy about that part, but they do look good.

The only thing I don't like is the halogen/LED combo on the lights when the low beams are on. I'll order the matching low beams at some point. The Ultras are super easy to install.

All purchased from Headlight Revolution.

ironox

Reaction score
I went with the Ultra 2 LED High Beam Bulbs - they are awesome! They are so bright it's hard to read street sings sometimes because of the power of the reflection.

Also went with the Ram LED Front Turn Signal Upgrade Kit - they can switch from orange to white or just orange. I love these as well, but if you have your flashers on for very long they overheat and quit working. The eventually reset, but you get a "turn lamp out" warning when they overheat. I was not real happy about that part, but they do look good.

The only thing I don't like is the halogen/LED combo on the lights when the low beams are on. I'll order the matching low beams at some point. The Ultras are super easy to install.

Congrats on the new bulbs.

Sounds like the heat-sink in your turn signal bulbs are too small. Also, if your low beams are reflecting off street signs (as you described) your beam is too high and blinding other motorists. Head Light Revolution has a video for bulb adjustment.

Good luck with getting the turn signals working consistently.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Congrats on the new bulbs.

Sounds like the heat-sink in your turn signal bulbs are too small. Also, if your low beams are reflecting off street signs (as you described) your beam is too high and blinding other motorists. Head Light Revolution has a video for bulb adjustment.

Good luck with getting the turn signals working consistently.

Not the low beams - the high beams are extremely bright, the reflection off of the signs is very bright. No they don't need adjustment on the beam - it's the difference of the lumens in the bulbs.

ironox

Reaction score
Not the low beams - the high beams are extremely bright, the reflection off of the signs is very bright. No they don't need adjustment on the beam - it's the difference of the lumens in the bulbs.
Nice, I misunderstood, thought it was on low beam.

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback on these, these are on my short list. Have they continued to perform well for you?

2021Jim

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only 4x4 night edition with 12" Uconnect trucks I found at the time all had halogen.

For $1350 + tax, I got the entire front (headlight, parking, turn and drl), rear (brake, reverse, cargo, and third brake), and interior (six bulbs +/=). I contemplated buying bulbs, but that would have cost me around $900 +tax. Additionally, the headlight bulbs may or may not have a good (and legal) cut-off line. So the extra was minimal.

I'm looking at this same system, on a scale of 1-10 for brightness over the stock halogen headlights what would you rate them.

ironox

Reaction score
I'm looking at this same system, on a scale of 1-10 for brightness over the stock halogen headlights what would you rate them.
They are literally twice as bright. However, they aren't by any measurable means the brightest. There are bulbs that can produce much higher lumens, but many of those bulbs will blind on coming traffic.

My goal was never to get the absolute brightest light. My goal was to get the brightest light that has the cleanest cutoff and not blind other drivers.

2021Jim

Reaction score
They are literally twice as bright. However, they aren't by any measurable means the brightest. There are bulbs that can produce much higher lumens, but many of those bulbs will blind on coming traffic.

My goal was never to get the absolute brightest light. My goal was to get the brightest light that has the cleanest cutoff and not blind other drivers.

Thanks

Wsmith

Reaction score

Ditto on the Ultra 2's, great lights. I also added the switchable turn signals, they do the same thing as yours, after being on for a while they wig out the computer for awhile. I guess it would suck if you had to have your flashers on for an extended period of time, wonder if they would crap out.

Users who are viewing this thread