5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a Nice NEW camper for a few hours

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes…congrats on the new addition, too! Hope the best for you and the family, sir. Miss my kids/grandkids…haven’t had a screaming baby in my house for some years. Come to think of it now, really don’t miss em all that much, hehehehe…again, congratulations!🎊🤱🏼

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Yes…congrats on the new addition, too! Hope the best for you and the family, sir. Miss my kids/grandkids…haven’t had a screaming baby in my house for some years. Come to think of it now, really don’t miss em all that much, hehehehe…again, congratulations!🎊🤱🏼
Thanks! I'm excited but not really looking forward to diapers again lol.

sessman

Reaction score
Link to your camper? Looks nice and about the size I'm looking for (assuming it doesn't max out payload like the last one I was looking at). It's tough finding a camper big enough for 3 kids while still being towable by a 1500 I'm finding out...sorry this happened to you btw.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Link to your camper? Looks nice and about the size I'm looking for (assuming it doesn't max out payload like the last one I was looking at). It's tough finding a camper big enough for 3 kids while still being towable by a 1500 I'm finding out...sorry this happened to you btw.

Yeah it has pretty much everything I was looking for in a camper while not being massive. The first link is the one we have (had) and but we're actually thinking of buying the second link. The only mainly differences are (besides the second being grand design) is that 2400 has solar already (241 is wired), 12V fridge, goodyear tires, and for the outdoor kitchen it has a griddle vs burners. The tongue weight is 100lbs-ish lighter on the 2400 but it actually weighs about 100lbs more. There are some aspects that I think the Starcraft did better. Those are mainly the water intake and dumps were all in one location and one of the AC ducts is actually in the top bunk to help with whoever is up there. The StarCraft also is already prepped for the furrion Vision S Blindspot cameras so they're just plug-n-play. I was only able to tow it about 100 miles total but barely ever felt it was back there.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I was shocked as well because the shop quoted me 15K in parts and labor (before taking the bathroom apart) which is not even 50% of MSRP so idk why they decided to go with total.
as a retired insurance adjuster, I can tell you that it was VERY rare that we didn't TOTAL any camper/rv with any kind of significant damage. If we had them fixed, and any kind of water leak developed after the repair, we are screwed, and then there is the potential mold issues....no thanks, "when in doubt.....total it out"...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't even wood. Its like wood veneer inside and fiberglass shell for the outer skin. The rest is styrofoam, all the walls everything. The subframe is steel. The doorways and wall joists are steel. That's it. The inside walls are like compressed cardboard with a applique over them to simulate wood or whatever like wallpaper. Even the ceiling is styrofoam with a veneer and covered in carpet or whatever. That's the only way you can make them lightweight.

I know because I put my front end loader into the side of my RV and took a compartment door off after a wasp stung my in the eye. I just cut the hole bigger and put on a bigger door.

They are almost all aluminum studs above the frame.

as a retired insurance adjuster, I can tell you that it was VERY rare that we didn't TOTAL any camper/rv with any kind of significant damage. If we had them fixed, and any kind of water leak developed after the repair, we are screwed, and then there is the potential mold issues....no thanks, "when in doubt.....total it out"...

One more year on my full current model replacement policy if totaled, no cost limits... I paid dearly for it, but gave me piece of mind.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just picked up our first new trailer last Thursday so I definitely understand the excitement you guys felt for the few hours leading up to your ordeal.

I hear you when you say that finding a good floor plan for a larger family is an issue. We have 4 kids and went with the Sonic 211vdb. We looked at a few models and really....really......REALLY wanted to find an Imagine that offered what we wanted. Their interior is just so nice! But everything that was available was over 30' feet long and heavier than I would subject my V6 to.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I am happy they didn't drag it out too, one less thing to deal with before the next (and last haha) baby comes in 3 weeks haha.

I declared baby number 2 to be the last!!

I made an appointment to be snipped just before number 4 was born. :cautious:

Take my word for it.....plans and declarations are not effective forms of contraception.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
We just picked up our first new trailer last Thursday so I definitely understand the excitement you guys felt for the few hours leading up to your ordeal.

I hear you when you say that finding a good floor plan for a larger family is an issue. We have 4 kids and went with the Sonic 211vdb. We looked at a few models and really....really......REALLY wanted to find an Imagine that offered what we wanted. Their interior is just so nice! But everything that was available was over 30' feet long and heavier than I would subject my V6 to.
I wanted to stay at or under 30ft as well. That Sonic looks pretty nice, I tried to convice the wife to get a murphy bed one she wasn't having it haha.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I declared baby number 2 to be the last!!

I made an appointment to be snipped just before number 4 was born. :cautious:

Take my word for it.....plans and declarations are not effective forms of contraception.
Yeah same here haha. Wife is getting tied while we're in the hospital for this one. I think the wanting for this one came because she lost one at 36wks a few years back and that really messed with her and our then 3yr old so they both wanted another. I've been telling her this whole time that this 3rd one is all her I'm still good with two hahah.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I was wondering how well the walls could be repaired and about future water leaks as well.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah same here haha. Wife is getting tied while we're in the hospital for this one. I think the wanting for this one came because she lost one at 36wks a few years back and that really messed with her and our then 3yr old so they both wanted another. I've been telling her this whole time that this 3rd one is all her I'm still good with two hahah.
A loss is always tough.....worse yet one that is so close to the finish line. We've dealt with it our household as well, and in my line of work I deal with these things almost daily.

My heart breaks....every single time.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
A loss is always tough.....worse yet one that is so close to the finish line. We've dealt with it our household as well, and in my line of work I deal with these things almost daily.

My heart breaks....every single time.
Yeah it was pretty rough. It was just so sudden. Baby was fine friday night and she went into labor saturday and baby was dead. I asked one of the nurses in the high risk ward (can't remember what it's called right now) how she does it everyday and she said I cry on the way home every night.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering how well the walls could be repaired and about future water leaks as well.
The best plan would have been to send back to tue factory for repair. Our travel trailer currently has a claim and this is what 2 shops near us have recommended. I use to work in the RV industry an fully respect a shop that says send it back to the factory for best results.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is really no such thing as a "well built" travel trailer...they are all built like crap. Once they get ripped open, it's just a sh*t show to repair. they are built from the inside-out, and so to get at inner structure the thing has to be basically dismantled. There is SO much potential hidden damage, and additional repairing that might be needed, that we appraisers/adjusters would write a "visual damage only" initial appraisal, then figure in our heads that the actual final repair bill will be at LEAST double that number. Hence why we would total most of them. Figure on average 25-35% salvage value, so it's that number, plus expected repair cost= Total Loss.

Users who are viewing this thread