5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a Nice NEW camper for a few hours

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Insurance called me today and they will be totaling the camper out. Waiting to hear what the payout will be but If my calculations are correct I think we'll be coming out ahead by about 7k and the dealer has the same one in stock for now 3k less than we paid because 23s are rolling in (but we may end up going with the same floor plan from Grand Design instead).

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Insurance called me today and they will be totaling the camper out. Waiting to hear what the payout will be but If my calculations are correct I think we'll be coming out ahead by about 7k and the dealer has the same one in stock for now 3k less than we paid because 23s are rolling in (but we may end up going with the same floor plan from Grand Design instead).

That little bit of damage is a TOTAL !?!?!?!

Good for you - you get a new trailer, but it certainly does not look like a total. . . . . I call first dibs on the salvage sale!

Bigbags85

Reaction score

Good for you - you get a new trailer, but it certainly does not look like a total. . . . . I call first dibs on the salvage sale!
Yeah I was shocked as well because the shop quoted me 15K in parts and labor (before taking the bathroom apart) which is not even 50% of MSRP so idk why they decided to go with total.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I was shocked as well because the shop quoted me 15K in parts and labor (before taking the bathroom apart) which is not even 50% of MSRP so idk why they decided to go with total.
Liability, and probably the guy had limits that would cover the total.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, pretty sure other guy's insurance wasn't enough to cover damages. Probably enough structural damage to warrant the write off, too. Not like it is a simple body panel to replace.
Poor thing never had a chance to depreciate any.

Bonus for you, as it sounds like you'll come out in the green at the end of it all!
The golden lining in your ordeal...Oh well...congratulations I guess! (y)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Even though it doesn't look like a crazy amount of damage there's always more that isn't visible. You're probably better off this way. Last thing you want is a water leak or something while out it the middle of nowhere.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not surprising. These things are little more than poorly assembled wood boxes, I guarantee there's much MUCH more structural damage than can be seen here.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grand Design makes some nice TT. We just started an insurance claim on our TT, somehow we flooded our camper by letting the outside sink run for hours while camping.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not surprising. These things are little more than poorly assembled wood boxes, I guarantee there's much MUCH more structural damage than can be seen here.
They aren't even wood. Its like wood veneer inside and fiberglass shell for the outer skin. The rest is styrofoam, all the walls everything. The subframe is steel. The doorways and wall joists are steel. That's it. The inside walls are like compressed cardboard with a applique over them to simulate wood or whatever like wallpaper. Even the ceiling is styrofoam with a veneer and covered in carpet or whatever. That's the only way you can make them lightweight.

I know because I put my front end loader into the side of my RV and took a compartment door off after a wasp stung my in the eye. I just cut the hole bigger and put on a bigger door.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Even though it doesn't look like a crazy amount of damage there's always more that isn't visible. You're probably better off this way. Last thing you want is a water leak or something while out it the middle of nowhere.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Grand Design makes some nice TT. We just started an insurance claim on our TT, somehow we flooded our camper by letting the outside sink run for hours while camping.
Oh no! hopefully it's not too messed up.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
They aren't even wood. Its like wood veneer inside and fiberglass shell for the outer skin. The rest is styrofoam, all the walls everything. The subframe is steel. The doorways and wall joists are steel. That's it. The inside walls are like compressed cardboard with a applique over them to simulate wood or whatever like wallpaper. Even the ceiling is styrofoam with a veneer and covered in carpet or whatever. That's the only way you can make them lightweight.

I know because I put my front end loader into the side of my RV and took a compartment door off after a wasp stung my in the eye. I just cut the hole bigger and put on a bigger door.
Ouch! my brother got stung in the eye when we were kids, not fun!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh no! hopefully it's not too messed up.
Have to wait for the insurance company, can't get an adjuster to look at it until Aug 18th. Definitely can see some damaged/water logged "wood"

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Have to wait for the insurance company, can't get an adjuster to look at it until Aug 18th. Definitely can see some damaged/water logged "wood"
It seems adjusters are in short supply these days. Damn that sucks. Good luck with it! I'm not quite in the clear anymore because now the other insurance company is trying to screw us over lol.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems adjusters are in short supply these days. Damn that sucks. Good luck with it! I'm not quite in the clear anymore because now the other insurance company is trying to screw us over lol.
And there it is…🤦🏻‍♂️
Sad to hear this, but expected. The one guarantee with using other’s insurance…to make your life miserable. Been there, done that.
Good luck, brother. I honestly hope you stick it to them.✊🏾

Bigbags85

Reaction score
And there it is…🤦🏻‍♂️
Sad to hear this, but expected. The one guarantee with using other’s insurance…to make your life miserable. Been there, done that.
Good luck, brother. I honestly hope you stick it to them.✊🏾
Yeah I figured it wasn't going to go as smooth as it was haha. I hate insurance. One of the biggest scams ever created. I plan on it, I'm not in a hurry haha. We were only supposed to use it once this yr and wife is 8 months pregnant so I got nothing but time to fight them.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good deal, go get that Grand Design! What floor plan you looking at, I have been looking at the 2400BH Imagine. I really like the 2910BH but its too much trailer.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s great to hear! Don’t think they had any choice. Really good to hear they aren’t stretching it out. Awesome.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
That’s great to hear! Don’t think they had any choice. Really good to hear they aren’t stretching it out. Awesome.
Yeah I am happy they didn't drag it out too, one less thing to deal with before the next (and last haha) baby comes in 3 weeks haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online