5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a Magnaflow installed a few days ago

Limo21

Reaction score
I had the 18" Magnaflow installed on my 2021 Ram. After driving around for about 500 miles or so I also had the resonators before the tailpipes deleted. I don't notice any drone at driving in the city or cursing at highway speeds. And when you press down on that skinny pedal on the right...it sounds awesome!... and the wife likes it too... :)

This is the second vehicle I had a Magnaflow muffler installed on. My first was a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8. No drone on that vehicle either.

teamroper60

Reaction score
It seems deleting the resonators kills alot of the drone for most people

Duckfan1967

Reaction score
Anyone add the Mopar cat back? Warranty is unaffected by adding it. If you did install it do you suffer from a drone?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My concern with the Magnaflow was the fiberglass fill. They say the quietest your Magnaflow will ever be is when you turn your truck on after install. The fiberglass fill apparently breaks down over time, making it louder each day that goes by (or so many have said). I'm looking at the Flowmaster 50 series Delta flow chambered muffler. I'm hoping for something that is a step up from stock, but no cabin drone and doesn't wake the neighborhood... but still has a deep, yet subtle growl. Living in Mississippi, I'm about sick of the sound of the super-aggressive exhausts that some of these good ole' boys have around here. This grumpy soon-to-turn 60-year-old is slowing it down these days. :)

Borla has my attention too with their Touring series. Glad to see these posts though, since I still don't know what to go with.

This sounds about right.

I had a Borla XR1 on a stock setup on my old Gen1 Rebel, when I got the new Ram I put on a Magnaflow.
(Note: It's the magnaflow full system with their 22in muffler)
I liked a bunch of things about the magnaflow, but I did miss the Borla on some days.

As time has gone on, I'm actually kind of enjoying the magnaflow more.
NOW it's perfect. In the summertime I'm looking forward to dropping the windows, this will be the 3rd summer I've had it, and I think it will sound the best. The system can be tame and rumbly when you're idling along - get on it, and the sound shows up.

If I go to a Borla, it will be for a sound-profile-preference, for the time being the magnaflow's got a higher enjoyment rating from me today, than it did on install!

Dan Houle

Reaction score
This sounds about right.

I had a Borla XR1 on a stock setup on my old Gen1 Rebel, when I got the new Ram I put on a Magnaflow.
(Note: It's the magnaflow full system with their 22in muffler)
I liked a bunch of things about the magnaflow, but I did miss the Borla on some days.

As time has gone on, I'm actually kind of enjoying the magnaflow more.
NOW it's perfect. In the summertime I'm looking forward to dropping the windows, this will be the 3rd summer I've had it, and I think it will sound the best. The system can be tame and rumbly when you're idling along - get on it, and the sound shows up.

If I go to a Borla, it will be for a sound-profile-preference, for the time being the magnaflow's got a higher enjoyment rating from me today, than it did on install!
I probably should have given it a little more time, but when the guy said they'd have to cut the end cap to fix it, that's when I just made the quick decision to go back to the stock muffler instead of them hacking on the end cap.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I think I’ve decided on this one. Was between this and the Carven, but I definitely don’t want any drone. Have seen a couple posts where the Carven might produce some drone.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I’ve decided on this one. Was between this and the Carven, but I definitely don’t want any drone. Have seen a couple posts where the Carven might produce some drone.

You don't be disappointed. I love my mbrp and want to delete the resonators now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Heck, even stock can drone! Never even knew that term until buying a hemi. Yet 99% music+++

Louhound88

Reaction score

That sounds pretty good, but maybe a little high pitched? I do like the raspy tone. I have a Borla S type and it's pretty deep sounding with only occasional rasp. No drone at all, even in eco/4 cyl mode it almost can't be heard in the cabin during normal driving. When accelerating it'll get loud though.

TyH2009

Reaction score
I just bought an MBRP muffler yesterday, can’t wait to install it. I hear good things….. pun intended.

TyH2009

Reaction score
I can't say enough how much I love my MBRP. It sounds beyond great.
Do you have any sound clips?

Did you have to plug the weep holes? From what hear, people say with aftermarket mid mufflers it masks the sound kind of fluttery out of the tailpipes due to those holes.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Did you have to plug the weep holes? From what hear, people say with aftermarket mid mufflers it masks the sound kind of fluttery out of the tailpipes due to those holes.
I don't even know what weep holes are, so no lol.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Aftermarket catch back kit don't come with resonator so no weep holes to plug.

Users who are viewing this thread