5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a Magnaflow installed a few days ago

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Weds I had a Magnaflow installed on my Rebel. Had done a good amount of research between this & the Flowmaster. I liked the sound when I got in the pedal, but not a fan the drone in the cabin, it was bad IMHO. I had kept the original (put it in my toolbox) & figured try it out for a few weeks, could always have the stock reinstalled. I noticed one of the end pipes was sticking out a little further than the other one. I went back to the muffler shop & showed them the end pipe. He said they'd have to cut the end pipe to fix it. I told them forget, reinstall the original. They did @ no charge. Glad I did, if the Magnaflow is one of the quieter ones, I'm just gonna stick with the stock. Side note, I had a Borla dual exhaust system on my Tundra (purchased new this way) & it was PERFECT, no cabin drone & not obnoxious. That is the sound I'm looking for. I may revisit this later, but gonna stick with original for now.

Last edited:

GoTide

Reaction score
My concern with the Magnaflow was the fiberglass fill. They say the quietest your Magnaflow will ever be is when you turn your truck on after install. The fiberglass fill apparently breaks down over time, making it louder each day that goes by (or so many have said). I'm looking at the Flowmaster 50 series Delta flow chambered muffler. I'm hoping for something that is a step up from stock, but no cabin drone and doesn't wake the neighborhood... but still has a deep, yet subtle growl. Living in Mississippi, I'm about sick of the sound of the super-aggressive exhausts that some of these good ole' boys have around here. This grumpy soon-to-turn 60-year-old is slowing it down these days. :)

Borla has my attention too with their Touring series. Glad to see these posts though, since I still don't know what to go with.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the drone there when you turn off your MDS?

Most non-catback exhaust will produce a drone when in 4-cylinder MDS mode, there is a reason why your stock muffler is the size of an oil drum.

truckless

Reaction score
I have an AWE and it sounds great with no drone

K, I am looking to order an exhaust and have been leaning towards the AWE....but the last couple nights I went outside and it was so calm and quiet I don't want to be "that guy" coming home late. How loud is it really?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
K, I am looking to order an exhaust and have been leaning towards the AWE....but the last couple nights I went outside and it was so calm and quiet I don't want to be "that guy" coming home late. How loud is it really?
It has a bark when you first start but then mellows out. I don't think you'd be "that guy" coming home late. I can try and get a video clip over the weekend.

cgray2222

Reaction score
Weds I had a Magnaflow installed on my Rebel. Had done a good amount of research between this & the Flowmaster. I liked the sound when I got in the pedal, but not a fan the drone in the cabin, it was bad IMHO. I had kept the original (put it in my toolbox) & figured try it out for a few weeks, could always have the stock reinstalled. I noticed one of the end pipes was sticking out a little further than the other one. I went back to the muffler shop & showed them the end pipe. He said they'd have to cut the end pipe to fix it. I told them forget, reinstall the original. They did @ no charge. Glad I did, if the Magnaflow is one of the quieter ones, I'm just gonna stick with the stock. Side note, I had a Borla dual exhaust system on my Tundra (purchased new this way) & it was PERFECT, no cabin drone & not obnoxious. That is the sound I'm looking for. I may revisit this later, but gonna stick with original for now.
O-H...

What model of Magnaflow?

truckless

Reaction score
It has a bark when you first start but then mellows out. I don't think you'd be "that guy" coming home late. I can try and get a video clip over the weekend.

that would be awesome. It's like all the videos of the 0fg is of guys TRYING to be so between that and the messageboards I don't really know. I love the tips, and I want the fitment everyone raves about...plus the fact it is supposedly quieter in the cab then the Borlas (I read apparently even the Touring)...

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a magnaflow on my 4th gen, that SOB droned like crazy, especially when towing. If I even had the desire to have an aggressive exhaust today I would prob go with the Mopar GT exhaust but the older I get the more I enjoy my peace and quiet.

Last edited:

Dan Houle

Reaction score
My concern with the Magnaflow was the fiberglass fill. They say the quietest your Magnaflow will ever be is when you turn your truck on after install. The fiberglass fill apparently breaks down over time, making it louder each day that goes by (or so many have said). I'm looking at the Flowmaster 50 series Delta flow chambered muffler. I'm hoping for something that is a step up from stock, but no cabin drone and doesn't wake the neighborhood... but still has a deep, yet subtle growl. Living in Mississippi, I'm about sick of the sound of the super-aggressive exhausts that some of these good ole' boys have around here. This grumpy soon-to-turn 60-year-old is slowing it down these days. :)

Borla has my attention too with their Touring series. Glad to see these posts though, since I still don't know what to go with.
I have asked alot of questions here, My repayment is to post my results, good & bad.

I'm 50 +, 20 yrs ago I would've left it. Lol

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Is the drone there when you turn off your MDS?

Most non-catback exhaust will produce a drone when in 4-cylinder MDS mode, there is a reason why your stock muffler is the size of an oil drum.

TBH, this never even came up. You would think maybe the muffler would've brought it up? Too late anyway, already done.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
It really wasn't loud, I dug that part. The cabin drone alone is what turned me off.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that would be awesome. It's like all the videos of the 0fg is of guys TRYING to be so between that and the messageboards I don't really know. I love the tips, and I want the fitment everyone raves about...plus the fact it is supposedly quieter in the cab then the Borlas (I read apparently even the Touring)...
It is definitely quiet in the cab, especially when cruising. Accelerating, you can hear that you have an exhaust but not obnoxious. When cruising, you can have a normal conversation.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
What Magnaflow are you guys having drone with? I have the 11229 and don’t have drone. MDS results in a little burble but not drone. Nice roar on start up, silent when cruising and mean when you get on it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
TBH, this never even came up. You would think maybe the muffler would've brought it up? Too late anyway, already done.

No worries really, most shops aren't familiar with that aspect of the RAM. You can turn off your MDS by locking the top gear to 8 using your +- buttons on your steering wheel. This will allow the transmission to function as normal, but prevents MDS operation. Only hassle is you have to reset it anytime you shift out of drive or turn off/on the truck. Using the Tow/Haul mode will also disable MDS.

You can try turning MDS off and see if it still drones.

Users who are viewing this thread