5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GT Exhaust?

jgmac98

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2022 RAM SPORT GT. Love the truck so far. Only small complaint I have is that the GT exhaust is not a loud as I would have expected. Looking online at the picture of the RAM cold end exhaust it looks like the muffler has 1 inflow and 2 exhaust connections. When looking at my truck, the muffler has 1 inflow and 1 exhaust. Not sure if the picture is right on the Mopar Parts website or if it's just a generic one.

Can anyone here with a GT take a picture and post it here of their muffler? One thought I had is maybe the wrong muffler was installed at the factory. Window sticker shows GT Package and lists the cold end exhaust, so I'm 80% sure it's right, just surprised that it's not louder.

Selcher

Reaction score
I test drove a Laramie Sport GT before choosing the Limited. I thought the exhaust sounded terrific. The dealer said it was the Mopar Performance Exhaust which is a Borla system. I noticed it seemed to use regular factory 3.5" tips and had the resonators before the tips. Someone else on the forum mentioned the Mopar Performance exhaust kit doesn't come with tips and you have to use your factory tips or buy additional tips to go with it. Perhaps removing the resonators will wake it up a bit for you? I just installed the Boral S-Type on my truck last week to make it sound like a GT. It does, it's just louder.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read post last week or so with the same complaint from an owner of GT that they thought the exhaust would be louder.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
5th gens have mufflers with single input and output tubes. They split off after the muffler, giving you the appearance of dual exhaust (unless you have the single rear side exhaust, like on a Tradesman). Can you provide the pic you're talking about which shows a muffler with dual outlets?

Selcher

Reaction score
Here's the Borla S-Type muffler with the single in, dual out.

Attachments

• 5A7E4188-0085-4618-8EEA-A7F1CEEF23DA.jpeg
    5A7E4188-0085-4618-8EEA-A7F1CEEF23DA.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 133

jgmac98

Reaction score
5th gens have mufflers with single input and output tubes. They split off after the muffler, giving you the appearance of dual exhaust (unless you have the single rear side exhaust, like on a Tradesman). Can you provide the pic you're talking about which shows a muffler with dual outlets?
Yes, I'm aware it's not a true dual exhaust. The picture I'm referring to is directly from the Mopar catalog for Part 77072520AA which I believe is the "cold end exhaust". here is the link:
h ttps://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-cat-back-exhaust-77072520aa

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's the Borla S-Type muffler with the single in, dual out.
Couple questions...
You sure that's for a 5th gen?
Is it part of a cat-back system, or is it a replacement muffler?

Yes, I'm aware it's not a true dual exhaust. The picture I'm referring to is directly from the Mopar catalog for Part 77072520AA which I believe is the "cold end exhaust". here is the link:
h ttps://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-cat-back-exhaust-77072520aa
Sorry if I added confusion. I probably should have been more specific in my previous response. Non-GT 5th gens have single in single out mufflers. In your link, Mopar describes that as a cat-back system, not as a cold end exhaust. I don't think it's the same as the cold end exhaust used on the GT models. There's probably a reason why they use two different names for them. I haven't seen a GT exhaust in person yet, so I'm not sure about the muffler configuration on those. Hopefully someone with one of those will post up pics.

shak3r

Reaction score
Following as I have a GT on order and the exhaust note is a big reason why I opted for the pkg.

Gut feeling is they call it a "cold end exhaust" vs "cat back exhaust" for political reasons, i.e. to avoid unwanted liberal/EPA attention. I understand its one in the same.

Selcher

Reaction score
Couple questions...
You sure that's for a 5th gen?
Is it part of a cat-back system, or is it a replacement muffler?

That's the muffler from the Borla S-Type Catback exhaust system and it's definitely 5th gen as it's on my truck.

jgmac98

Reaction score
Following as I have a GT on order and the exhaust note is a big reason why I opted for the pkg.

Gut feeling is they call it a "cold end exhaust" vs "cat back exhaust" for political reasons, i.e. to avoid unwanted liberal/EPA attention. I understand its one in the same.
Overall I'm very happy with the GT. The exhaust does sound slightly more aggressive than what my last truck sounded like but that was a Ford Ecoboost. More than likely I have the correct exhaust, I just expected it to be louder, hence the request for someone else with a GT to post a picture of their muffler. Mine definitely does not look like Selcher's photo which his also matches the link I posted.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Overall I'm very happy with the GT. The exhaust does sound slightly more aggressive than what my last truck sounded like but that was a Ford Ecoboost. More than likely I have the correct exhaust, I just expected it to be louder, hence the request for someone else with a GT to post a picture of their muffler. Mine definitely does not look like Selcher's photo which his also matches the link I posted.
Which is why I don't think the Mopar cold end exhaust and the Mopar cat-back exhaust are one and the same. People with the GT have mentioned the fact that they have resonators. The Mopar cat-back exhaust does not have resonators, and instead replaces factory resonators with straight-thru pipes.

Bigteeze

Reaction score
Which is why I don't think the Mopar cold end exhaust and the Mopar cat-back exhaust are one and the same. People with the GT have mentioned the fact that they have resonators. The Mopar cat-back exhaust does not have resonators, and instead replaces factory resonators with straight-thru pipes.
Agreed. Even listening to videos on Youtube of the GT exhaust vs the actual Mopar Catback Exhaust, they have different sounds. The Mopar Catback exhaust also seems louder.

t_henrickson

Reaction score
Did you ever get someone to send you a picture of their muffler or any other confirmation? I looked at my GT yesterday and the sound was NOTHING like the other reviews you see in videos. Sounded extremely quiet and very much like a stock factory muffler to me.

This is a picture of what is on my Rebel GT.

Attachments

• 20220106_182234.jpg
    20220106_182234.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 223

jgmac98

Reaction score
Did you ever get someone to send you a picture of their muffler or any other confirmation? I looked at my GT yesterday and the sound was NOTHING like the other reviews you see in videos. Sounded extremely quiet and very much like a stock factory muffler to me.

no one had sent a picture yet. What you sent looks exactly like mine. I checked my build sheet and it states i have the Passive Cold End Exhaust.

On cold start up you can tell its not a "stock" muffler, but after the engine warms up, it's only noticeable if you know your listening for it.

Overall I'm unimpressed with the sound of this system and agree that the online videos definitely are miss leading (I'm not blaming the reviewers as it's likely a microphone placement issue and not them actively trying to cause confusion).

However, at this point, i'm not so unhappy with it to spend more money on a different muffler/cat back system yet, but it's definitely something on the list of future potential mods.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have the Borla S type on my truck now and it gets pretty loud. Normal driving it's tame but once you get on it, it'll make your ears ring. High RPM shifts and it'll crackle and pop. Cold starts shake my house pretty good too, but settle out after about 20 seconds. My truck came stock with no resonator before the muffler, so I think that may be why mine is so loud.

Before I switched my exhaust out my stock had a nice sound too. Cold starts were nice, and even driving with some force around town I could hear my exhaust over a little. I think it had to do with the lack of resonator from the factory. It was louder than other Ram's I've been around.

Looking at the GT exhaust I would remove the resonators before the tips and maybe switch the tips out to 5" tips. I've read the larger tips can make the tone deeper.

Mad Cow

Reaction score

I was following your issues over on the 2022 thread, saw you started a new one. Here's my $0.02

I don't have my Ram yet, but I have worked on my neighbors Challenger. Ya, apples and oranges, but at least it's FCA. His car had an exhaust valve right after the muffler, it was electronically controlled. It opened at cold start, and when he put his foot in it. At normal cruse or anything below 75% throttle, it was closed. He wanted it loud all the time, so he bought a module to trick the computer to keep it open.

What I'm thinking is maybe the GT package has a simular damper. As you're having electronic issues, I wonder if yours is stuck closed?

My Corvettes have the same kind of system, they can't be 'Loud' all the time to meet EPA standards. It's called Drive By Decibels or something similar. My 2016 is computer controlled and adjustable via the DIC. My wife's 2012 (different generations than mine) will Only open at 75% throttle or more. I bypassed hers as it sounds like crap when closed. Take a look under the truck and see if you can find that valve, should be pretty obvious. If the part number is correct, then it's the right muffler, and it is what it is...

t_henrickson

Reaction score
I was following your issues over on the 2022 thread, saw you started a new one. Here's my $0.02

I don't have my Ram yet, but I have worked on my neighbors Challenger. Ya, apples and oranges, but at least it's FCA. His car had an exhaust valve right after the muffler, it was electronically controlled. It opened at cold start, and when he put his foot in it. At normal cruse or anything below 75% throttle, it was closed. He wanted it loud all the time, so he bought a module to trick the computer to keep it open.

What I'm thinking is maybe the GT package has a simular damper. As you're having electronic issues, I wonder if yours is stuck closed?

My Corvettes have the same kind of system, they can't be 'Loud' all the time to meet EPA standards. It's called Drive By Decibels or something similar. My 2016 is computer controlled and adjustable via the DIC. My wife's 2012 (different generations than mine) will Only open at 75% throttle or more. I bypassed hers as it sounds like crap when closed. Take a look under the truck and see if you can find that valve, should be pretty obvious. If the part number is correct, then it's the right muffler, and it is what it is...
I will definitely look into that valve issue. As for the electronic stuff, my truck was stuck in "Ship mode" and they couldn't get it out of it. They did a software update and now all electronics are functioning properly. The dealer also claims it sounds better now?

I have a theory that in "ship mode" that the power and airflow and such is extremely limited for safety and theft reasons. So maybe by unlocking it into customer mode it will sound better at full power? This is purely a theory and I have no evidence that power is limited in ship mode but it's just a hunch? Anyone confirm?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I'd bet Ship Mode would keep that damper (assuming it has one) closed all the time. Probably an OSHA or Union deal. It may sound good, but not all that great when you have to listen to it all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online