5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ground clearance questons

Borsig

Reaction score
The rebel with coils has 9.8" of GC.
Without going to a bigger tire, what would be the smartest way to increase GC by 2" on this truck and not effect the warranty? Is there one?

I'm sitting at 10.5 currently on my current vehicle, and would like around 11.5 from the Rebl, but at least 10.5. ot looking for extreme things or to break the bank.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think that depends on what you want the ride to be like and how much you want to spend .

Borsig

Reaction score
Ride like stock. Spend minimally, but for quality. I have no idea what lifts cost. My last one I paid 600 for.

Borsig

Reaction score
Will the Moto fab kit increase clearance or just body height?

Borsig

Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking too. I dont want to go bigger than 33 really. 35's are too much for what I do, wear and tear etc. I was wondering how the air suspension gets 10.8 vs 9,8 for the coil overs. Same tire. Where are they measuring it then?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking too. I dont want to go bigger than 33 really. 35's are too much for what I do, wear and tear etc. I was wondering how the air suspension gets 10.8 vs 9,8 for the coil overs. Same tire. Where are they measuring it then?

Where are you getting the ground clearance info?

As mentioned...the only way to increase ground clearance is to get a bigger tire. You can fit 34 inch tires easily. A 35 x 11 will fit easily too.

You can get a 10 inch lift...but if you keep the same tires...no extra ground clearance

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ground clearance at the axle is 8.2 front and 8.7 rear.

The 10.8 and 9.8 you are asking about is apparently measured at one of the skid plates.

The reason there is an inch difference ia because the air suspension equiped truck can go to off road 2.

The regular Rebel sits at off road 1.

Hope this makes sense.

If not I can explain more

Screenshot_20210219-140244.png
And if this 9.8 is the number you are comparing with your other vehicle...then yes...a lift will increase it.

But you will still only have 8.7 at the axle unless you also get larger tires

Borsig

Reaction score
other vehicle is a lifted outback (LP Adventure) with around 10". Not sure where that is measured though.

I do a lot of sand. Sand needs cleararance. I'm not sure how that 8.7 axle number will compare. I need to crawl under the outback I guess. 35's are gonna be heavy and eat even more fuel and add more wear. Skid plates will go up with the body. IDK why they measure at the skid and not the axle if the axle is lower. It's all going to catch.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
other vehicle is a lifted outback (LP Adventure) with around 10". Not sure where that is measured though.

I do a lot of sand. Sand needs cleararance. I'm not sure how that 8.7 axle number will compare. I need to crawl under the outback I guess. 35's are gonna be heavy and eat even more fuel and add more wear. Skid plates will go up with the body. IDK why they measure at the skid and not the axle if the axle is lower. It's all going to catch.
They measure at both. You just have to be sure to get the right information.

They probably give the second ground clearance at the skid...to help with the break over angle understanding.

And then approach and departure angle.

I do not know much about what is best for sand...but don't the tires usually float on it and it is best to stay on top...correct?

Borsig

Reaction score
They measure at both. You just have to be sure to get the right information.

They probably give the second ground clearance at the skid...to help with the break over angle understanding.

And then approach and departure angle.

I do not know much about what is best for sand...but don't the tires usually float on it and it is best to stay on top...correct?
Yes if you sink, well you sink.

I have a lifted Outback that handles it well - and I need the Ram to do as good or hopefully better. I am wanting to do a mild 2" or so lift.

Borsig

Reaction score
Is the best way moto fab kit? Do you need upper control arms? What height would be best?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rebel with coils has 9.8" of GC.
Without going to a bigger tire, what would be the smartest way to increase GC by 2" on this truck and not effect the warranty? Is there one?

I'm sitting at 10.5 currently on my current vehicle, and would like around 11.5 from the Rebl, but at least 10.5. ot looking for extreme things or to break the bank.
Order a 2021 with air ride. I just have a Laramie, but with air ride, even with it lifted all the way up I might be a little lower than you, stock???

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you stated you don't know where your current 10" of clearance is measured from? go measure the lowest point on your outback to the ground and see. i find it hard to believe that you have a true 10" at your lowest point.

Americantruck04

Reaction score
Would personally go with bilstein 6112s or some other coil over replacement over the motofab

Users who are viewing this thread