5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding Sound from Rear End During Low-speed Take-off

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also experiencing the same thing on my 2019 RAM Limited 1500. I had the rack and pinion replaced at about 17k due to a stuttering and grinding sound in the column. I ended up finding a recall here on 5th gen ram forums so they replaced it free of charge.

Fast forward now to 44k and I now have a grinding and rubbing noise on slow speed turns that sounds concerning. It’s gotten significantly worse. It honestly sounds like metal and rubber grinding/rubbing together creating this sound on turns only. Took it two two separate techs and had to drive with them to replicate the issue/sound. They did the differential back in January and the initial tech said the noise would still be there, but only momentarily as the fluid had to work its way through the differential.

I’m about 4000 miles since that fluid change and the noise has gotten progressively worse and worse and I am now taking it back in. The new tech said he hast to take the whole rear end apart to figure out what’s going on because he can definitely hear it and he said that is not the differential.
In my opinion you should find another tech who is more experienced in differentials. Your comment about them saying "the noise would still be there" tells me they didn't put it back together correctly. Not knowing what they did in January (replacement? rebuild? just changed fluid?), it is hard to imagine why they would feel they need to tear into it again.

afonda

Reaction score
my issue cropped up about the same time. Was the oil, and completely fixed when refilled with good synthetic and proper amount of modifier.

the modifier increases static friction, and reduces shear friction. The effect is the plates stick together better until the torque exceeds shear strength, and then slide past each other easier. Kinda like making it an on-off switch, rather than gradual release or grab.

not enough modifier makes them slip too soon, and grind while slipping.
So my truck is a Power Wagon as does not have the disc type LS rear... it has the gear driven positrac (helical gears). So friction modifier doesn't make a difference in my truck.

afonda

Reaction score
Also experiencing the same thing on my 2019 RAM Limited 1500. I had the rack and pinion replaced at about 17k due to a stuttering and grinding sound in the column. I ended up finding a recall here on 5th gen ram forums so they replaced it free of charge.

Fast forward now to 44k and I now have a grinding and rubbing noise on slow speed turns that sounds concerning. It’s gotten significantly worse. It honestly sounds like metal and rubber grinding/rubbing together creating this sound on turns only. Took it two two separate techs and had to drive with them to replicate the issue/sound. They did the differential back in January and the initial tech said the noise would still be there, but only momentarily as the fluid had to work its way through the differential.

I’m about 4000 miles since that fluid change and the noise has gotten progressively worse and worse and I am now taking it back in. The new tech said he hast to take the whole rear end apart to figure out what’s going on because he can definitely hear it and he said that is not the differential.
Find yourself a sloped parking lot and back up the slope with the wheels turned. does it get worse? Also, when on the slope, stop, put it in neutral and let it coast a few feet,,, did the grinding/rubbing go away? Report back. Also, which trans do you have and is it 4x4?

Users who are viewing this thread